Acer, Asus, Lenovo Borrowing MacBook Air Design

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

While I agree that I'd rather go Windows and get a better value out of it, I do find this statement a little off.

Obvious is a good thing. Easy to learn is actually a good thing. I wouldn't knock that aspect of their OS, it's pretty much their main selling feature.

But it's also good to have more options.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Why, i never met a laptop that i can't grip the edge with my hands easily. I have met plenty of laptops that are too tall and wide for me to carry around easily.

ncorder

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
you mac haters are all idiots. Macs are more expensive, yes. However, you get what you pay for. Things like an easy to use, intuitive operating system, quality parts and manufacturing processes, and you also get nice looks. PCs dont all suck, I use a desktop for my gaming, and a macbook pro for everything else. Why cant there be some reconciliation people???

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Don't bother GMCD, he's probably a kid that bought a MAC using his father money, and feel so proud of it.

I'm doing I.T. business in terms of hardware and software, as a employer, I need to know what my staffs are doing, I know how to create flash and website, even it's simple or beginner level, I'm expert in terms of hardware components.

All my staffs are using WINDOWS and LINUX to do their stuffs with dreamweaver, flash , photoshop, illustrator, fireworks and programming. Which means, not only MAC can do those stuffs.

BUT I've once used MAC, (My friend gave it to me, he bought a new PC), I used for 30mins, and I gave it back to him, I rather use LINUX on my crappy Atom Nettop.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]gmcd2245[/nom]Lol chickenhoagie = Noob.The typical example of a person that has no idea of computers.I will attempt to re-direct and assist you, and point out the discussion is on the area of small portable computers. Something that no other manufacture is doing now except apple.[/citation]
Netbooks ARE small portable computers. I also fail to see the point with the 11'' macbook air. The hardware is way too better for the screen size. There is no need for a C2D for such a small computer. I doubt that anyone will use it to do serious computing, it will most likely just be used to check the email and visit the web. An Asus EEEPC 1215N is more than enough for that while remaining small and light and costing less than half the price.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ncorder[/nom]you mac haters are all idiots. Macs are more expensive, yes. However, you get what you pay for. Things like an easy to use, intuitive operating system, quality parts and manufacturing processes, and you also get nice looks. PCs dont all suck, I use a desktop for my gaming, and a macbook pro for everything else. Why cant there be some reconciliation people???[/citation]
Apple doesn't manufacture their computers they only assemble them (like most companies) so your comment about quality parts and manufacturing process is bs.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I'm glad that apple originally decided to copy the other oems by using Intel cpu's. Yay for Apple being a copy cat.

P.s. I'm sure that oems will add their OWN design, like colour etc.

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Holy crap. I have no idea why that kid tried to argue for Apple. I wanted to pull my eyeballs out of my face after reading the first few sentences.

To each his own kid. Of all the things you could spend your time on... You had to spend it arguing about a portable chunk of stuff. Yes. Your time would be better spent trying to play games on/or get compliments from your shiny portable chunk of stuff.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
You folks fail to understand Apple is not worse or better but just another brand. Some would complain about being underpowered or overpriced but other brands suffer with things like crashes, overheat, driver bugs and so on.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I own the new mac book air 13 inch and its great. It's light, easy to use, has an ssd drive and it can run windows.

Anyone who can diss Apple's computers either A is uneducated on the subnet and B has never used one. Put Windows 7 on it, and there is no difference except the style of the computer, the quality and the simplicity.

My first mac book pro purchase was nerve racking, I went through HP laptops every 6 months always wanting something more or different I got a mac book pro, and well I had it for several years, and I upgraded, to a mac book air. I'ts the same laptop, but a whole lot lighter and thinner and has a battery that lasts for what seems like forever.

Educate yourself, try one out and stop hattin, I spend a lot of money on computers and I have owned a whole lot of them in the last 15 years. We are in a day and age where anyone can built a computer with the same guts, the question is how long will it last, what is the quality of components, did who put it together put care into it, how is the customer service if it needs to be fixed or you have an issue?

If any of those things matter to you, then its apple. Everyone else cuts corners to save money because there is so much pressure to make them as cheap as possible. At the end of the day who is making all the money? Microsoft sits on the top of the pyramid along with Intel, everyone else fights for left overs.

That's really all there is to it.

G

Hey ChickenHogie, I've sold 20 G73s 1 had the GSOD, I flashed video bios.. it's gone.. l2computer.

jbwhite99

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ncorder[/nom]you mac haters are all idiots. Macs are more expensive, yes. However, you get what you pay for. Things like an easy to use, intuitive operating system, quality parts and manufacturing processes, and you also get nice looks. PCs dont all suck, I use a desktop for my gaming, and a macbook pro for everything else. Why cant there be some reconciliation people???[/citation]

Quality parts? Sure. For 2005. Apple goes for cool looks, and with their own software (which a lot of people erase and replace with Windows). It nets to this - Apple is a marketing company that sells cool looking PCs. Enjoy playing with your Mac. I'll be over here getting work done on my Thinkpad.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Netbooks ARE small portable computers. I also fail to see the point with the 11'' macbook air. The hardware is way too better for the screen size. There is no need for a C2D for such a small computer. I doubt that anyone will use it to do serious computing, it will most likely just be used to check the email and visit the web. An Asus EEEPC 1215N is more than enough for that while remaining small and light and costing less than half the price.[/citation]

For someone that is such an expert you gave no examples of why that is the case. What mac did you use? Are we talking last week or 5 years ago? Why post on the topic if you hate them so much?

If you are a business owner, with employees I wonder how well you're doing with such a narrow mind set. Apple is exploding, and it won't be long before someone comes ot you say hey I have a mac will you help me? I've seen people like you before but the opposite, someone comes into a mac shop looking for help, and they were turned away like they had a disease.

I was in the same boat before I bought one, and once I did it was like an addictive drug. It is like a cult or something. Once you do one thing it just makes you want more, iphone, ipad, ipod etc.

I would rather get a quality product that gives me the flexibility to run windows or not, then deal with a windows or linux only world.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]How is this copying Apple???[/citation]

My thoughts exactly! Laptop manufacturers have been working to make them slimmer and tinier even before the giant "lugables" were out decades ago. hell, I used to work for a company where they had an old 486 DX (Woo!) 'laptop' with a SCSI drive in it. The thing was close to 12 inches thick.

All these companies have been working to make laptops slimmer and thinner even before the Macbook air came out. Asus even began the netbook market and thus paved the way for even smaller and slimmer netbooks (they made some of the slimmest for a short while if I recall the 1008 series correctly).

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]You folks fail to understand Apple is not worse or better but just another brand. Some would complain about being underpowered or overpriced but other brands suffer with things like crashes, overheat, driver bugs and so on.[/citation]
You're talking like the macbook pro doesn't have heating issues.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]cranbers[/nom]For someone that is such an expert you gave no examples of why that is the case. What mac did you use? Are we talking last week or 5 years ago? Why post on the topic if you hate them so much?[/citation]
Actually I own a MacBook and I still have an old iBook G4. I don't hate Apple, I just have a problem with fans that have a tendency to be blinded by the logo and distort the truth.
[citation][nom]cranbers[/nom]Apple is exploding, and it won't be long before someone comes ot you say hey I have a mac will you help me? I've seen people like you before but the opposite, someone comes into a mac shop looking for help, and they were turned away like they had a disease.[/citation]
I treat all my customers the same independently if they're using windows, mac os, linux, solaris, hp-ux,...

These posts that include Mac stuff always result in very interesting comments.

Vladislaus' post reminded me of something I see and have been told about in home sales training classes. Your very best referals, and the most vocal are always those who paid the most for their products. As long as you take care of the customer, if he paid a lot, he's going to go on and on about how great it is, even if it's the same exact thing another person paid half as much for.

I've been told it's due to the buyer wanting to help justify their purchase.

Of course when it comes to these Mac/PC posts, it feels like people on both sides are always trying to knock the other side down to justify their choice.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I applaud Apple for their design... I applaud the PC Laptop/net/notebook makers for applying that design for their own models ( as long as we don't see a flurry of articles of who is suing whom for design infringement.

This design of portable computing is NOT for everyone. I do believe that is the main point of the first comment that caused this Apple vs Mac $h!7 storm.

The real crux of the issue is when it does break and you have to dole out money to either get it fixed or a replacement. We have become such a disposable society based on such design and such rapid "innovations" that it makes no sense to even fix it unless you are a person that is willing to learn HOW-TO fix your own which (sadly to say) is beyond most individuals level of stick-to-it-tiveness or comprehension. So we throw money that most of us don't have at the problem for the "new hottness" dealt with the frustration of moving all the personal data collected.

I have seen this many many times. So yes ... I would love something that is easy to fix when I am stranded and I need my files "yesterday"

Have I worked on macs before ? yes. the desktops are a dream to work on but the laptops are a pain in the A$$ infact ANY laptop these days are... but I manage to keep bringing them back from the dead... I feel that this "new sleek design" will be no different because I refuse to be reliant on the manufactures that keep on putting the same TYPE of hardware in a new package and call it "the latest and greatest".

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]gmcd2243[/nom]The answer is simple.P.C. = Piece of Crap[/citation]
macintosh = Most Applications Crash, If Not The Operating System Hangs

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Smaller, Faster, Cheaper, Lighter is what every notebook manufacturer and customer is aiming for since the first portable computer was introduced (by today's standard, we would call it "transportable").
If some people want to believe that it was all inspired by Apple, good for them. After all, many believe that Apple invented the mp3 player, the smartphone, the GUI, that Apple computers can't crash,...,
What I know is that I had a very light and compact (although thicker than a MacBook Air I have to admit) Sony Vayo, years before the Macbook Air was introduced. And that laptop worked decently fast... and without overheating !

G

I think this obsession with thin leaves a lot of issues unaddressed. One being lack of performance because of heat issues, the other being lack of features like USB, card reader and the like because of the thin design. I think it ads to the option of users but I rather have performance in todays media world then a slower CPU and less features.
All for the sake of thin.

G

Mac user's have been fooled by Apple's great marketing. In a recent poll by a third party repair company. They rated Apple Macbook's as having more repairs then the average. I think many think because it looks nice that the quality inside is just as nice. Unfortunately Apple uses China assembly much like every other computer maker with similar hardware. But telling a Apple fan that will never convince them of this fact. Just by seeing the huge profit margins Apple makes should tell you, their not putting a lot of money into their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.