Acer, Asus, Lenovo Borrowing MacBook Air Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorillateets

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
I bet these slim laptops will be a major pain to work on. Count me out. I'd rather have more performance and sacrifice a tiny bit of convenience. This will be for morons.

trnddwn33

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]gorillateets[/nom]I bet these slim laptops will be a major pain to work on. Count me out. I'd rather have more performance and sacrifice a tiny bit of convenience. This will be for morons.[/citation]

I would say the average consumer in the market for one of these doesn't really care if they're easy to work on or not. In fact, I'd say that's true of most laptop users. If you want easy to work on, get a desktop.

woofster

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
[citation][nom]gorillateets[/nom]I bet these slim laptops will be a major pain to work on. Count me out. I'd rather have more performance and sacrifice a tiny bit of convenience. This will be for morons.[/citation]
Thats a bit of a narrow minded point of view i think. There are lots of people out there who this will be ideal for. I've used a macbook air on Windows and i found it more or less as capable as my laptop. If you're doing video editing or something similar then clearly this is not for you.

iceonfire

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]This sort off process shaved off between 3 off 5 millimeters off of the thickness off the LCD off.[/citation]
LOL got to love awkward sentences :)

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I bet these slim laptops will be a major pain to work on. Count me out. I'd rather have more performance and sacrifice a tiny bit of convenience. Macs are for morons...

Thats prolly what you meant to say.

ender21

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
How does having the LCD be thinner make a laptop (or desktop for that matter) easier or harder to work on? It's the monitor. I'm looking at it, not touching it (except to open it/turn it on).

I can see how rugged use would put it to the test, but the first poster's closed-minded assertion is that the laptop will somehow actually be more difficult to work on as a result. I just don't see it being easier or harder to work on. Just more portable.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I think this is great news. After seeing how thin LCDs can be, it's shameful to see the huge, thick screens still on most laptops. There are some things that Apple has not done well, but style is definitely their strong suit.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

Sometimes slimness and weight are a priority for people. My wife has a 11.6" MacBook Air and she takes it everywhere. She carries it around with her at work and travels internationally with it. The thinness and lightness is well worth the price. It's an excellent machine. Though I love still love it, it makes my Dell Mini seem downright chunky.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]PC = personal computer, yeah? How then is Mac not a PC, and how is PC synonimous with Windows? I mean I get that that is the current way it is, but it really doesn't make sense.[/citation]
Mac is a generally accepted jargon term meant to differentiation hardware that is normally meant to run Mac OS X from typical PC hardware. But YES, I think we all get that Macs are a subset of PCs.

G

I think PC = personal computer got associated with computer for the masses, at Mac's price point it has never been seen as a computer for the masses but as a computer for the elite.

[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]PC = personal computer, yeah? How then is Mac not a PC, and how is PC synonymous with Windows? I mean I get that that is the current way it is, but it really doesn't make sense.[/citation]

You have to consider that there was a time when a Mac was nothing like a PC. It used to have specialized components that were not available to the masses, such as the old PowerPC CPUs from IBM. They were even more proprietary than they are now.

Now they use x86 Intel based CPUs but are still proprietary and do not allow for the same customization. So because of that major difference back then, PC was always known to be the Windows based computer than you could customize.

Also back then Macs were normally only used in very special cases and not as often by the general public. Mostly in music and video editing but now most Windows based PCs can do the same thing as a Mac so it really has no specialty.

No matter what happens it will always be Mac and PC (Windows) not Mac and Windows.

I personally hate laptops. I just never understood them. I mean in most cases these days your cell phone can do the majority of what a laptop was designed for. Hell my LG Ally has ThinkFree Office which allows me to view, edit and create open word, excel and many more file types.

As for working on them, I have very large hands so that may attribute to why I dislike them. I love full sized keyboards like my Logitech G15 and larger mice like my Logitech G500.

if anything the worst part about thinner laptops is the fact that repairs are extremely hard. A regular laptop can be pretty difficult with very few being easy. The easy ones have panels to access all components while the majority don't and need to be taken apart.

For the Macs its that plus the extreme cost. A normal laptop inverter cost about $10 bucks. A Mac inverter costs at least $50. The Asus and other kind wont have the same major price markup a Mac does but they will become harder to work on which will add to labor costs. I normally charge $65 on a pretty easy laptop for labor but the hard ones, the ones you have to take entirely apart just to get to the screen for example, I charge $95.

I think PC = personal computer got associated with computer for the masses, at Mac's price point it has never been seen as a computer for the masses but as a computer for the elite.

Even Apple themselves had a whole series of comercials advertising Windows machines as PC's and their own systems as Mac's. It's an industry term that even the manufacturers use. PC may stand for personal computer, but it's a label that these companys came up with to describe the Windows machines.

No need to be so litteral.

G

The answer is simple.

P.C. = Piece of Crap

LOL... ok I could not resist.
I have a Mac Air.. So envy me guys...
The point is not the penis envy line like above.
The real reason is simply. it is a very practical, nice computer.
I suggest you people go and use one of these Mac Airs. I can guarantee that you will want to keep it.. they are a very nice well made computer.
And they will do virtually all things you need that any laptop can do.
And guys don't smivel about but game blaa. blaa.. go buy a desktop if you want that. My mac Air plays all the mac games very nicely. EG: world of warcraft, Call of duty, diablo, Dungeon Keeper1, Bz-flag, quake and even wolf quest to name just a few.
Also if I want to play or use a windows game or program, I have many tools that allow me to use the software directly on the computer.
for example I use Compe-Gps Air on my Mac Air. using Wine.

This is a little rant.. but I hope it will be somewhat informative..
You can have a very portable computer with tons of performance.
I do hope that the other computer company's manage to do this and make something to compete with the Mac Air. Because in reality there is no computer on the market that is in the same arena that the mac air is used.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
The answer is simple.

P.C. = Piece of Crap

LOL... ok I could not resist.
I have a Mac Air.. So envy me guys...
The point is not the penis envy line like above.
The real reason is simply. it is a very practical, nice computer.
I suggest you people go and use one of these Mac Airs. I can guarantee that you will want to keep it.. they are a very nice well made computer.
And they will do virtually all things you need that any laptop can do.
And guys don't smivel about but game blaa. blaa.. go buy a desktop if you want that. My mac Air plays all the mac games very nicely. EG: world of warcraft, Call of duty, diablo, Dungeon Keeper1, Bz-flag, quake and even wolf quest to name just a few.
Also if I want to play or use a windows game or program, I have many tools that allow me to use the software directly on the computer.
for example I use Compe-Gps Air on my Mac Air. using Wine.

This is a little rant.. but I hope it will be somewhat informative..
You can have a very portable computer with tons of performance.
I do hope that the other computer company's manage to do this and make something to compete with the Mac Air. Because in reality there is no computer on the market that is in the same arena that the mac air is used.
wait I'm sorry..what does your comment prove again? why is it that i can get a laptop with a core i7 processor for the price of a mac air with a dual core processor..Its funny how much people will pay for an apple all their laptop. not to mention crappy one-click featured operating systems. People with Mac laptops dont impress me at all. Mac G5 desktops are somewhat nice if you are able to put Windows on it. But Mac OS is useless to the general public. unless you're a web designer, art producer, or anything of the sort, the OS is nothing but a hassle in comparison to windows 7. And you'll say ehh but you don't get viruses blahblahblah. thats because virus creators don't have time to waste making viruses for such an under used operating system. Everyone uses windows, so thats what they target. and besides that, I haven't had a virus in years, and the only viruses i've had was due to my own self awareness and my own fault of trying to download programs that seemed legit. Took me about 2 seconds to get rid of them as well.

As an employee of an electronic recycling company, out of the thousands upon thousands of computers we receive, i think we've received about 5% of the Mac laptops working, out of the hundreds that we have gotten. Even the desktops that come in, 2 out of 10 may work. And i will tell you that the only benefit to a Mac is its nicely built architecture with alluminum parts. Besides that, they are nothing in comparison to a PC as far as prices go. and even as far as prices go, I can build a PC with better alluminum structure for half the price of a Mac. So tell me where the flaw is in a PC where you can truly benefit more from a Mac?

the only experience you probably have with your own electronics is the fact that you walked into a best buy store and purchased it because it looked shiny. So you took it home and you were impressed. yet you have no experience with any other type of product, such as I do. So don't be so quick to hop on your high horse and go the ways of an apple bandwagon, because a PC will ALWAYS outperform a Mac, even with a PC marked 200$ under

G

Lol chickenhoagie = Noob.

The typical example of a person that has no idea of computers.

I will attempt to re-direct and assist you, and point out the discussion is on the area of small portable computers. Something that no other manufacture is doing now except apple. So to run an I7 CPU notebook in this area is not correct. they do not exist.. (Like your brain me thinks).
And back to the point.. I am very happy to see windows computers made for this area (Due to lack of competition). But note, windows 7 is not the best operating system. The best operating system is always the one that you are most happy to use. As you have not used any other Operating system, you are unable to fathom variation let alone cast a valuable opinion to this discussion.

G

Lol I checked up on the Asus G73 gaming Laptop

Taken from ==> http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100504183219546&board_id=3&model=G73JH&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

*** the following are my and my opinions only, based on what I have seen, read, and have experienced). If the moderators believe i have overstepped my boundaries, please feel free to delete this post. I however, Believe I am excercising my right to free speech. If u have purchased a g73, and everything is working as it should be, Kudos to you. This post is meant for those unlucky ones, who didnt get what they were promised out of the box***

Well! This going to sound negative, but thruth be told...it seems like we are all just hoping and wishing a lot....rather than doing anything to fix this the myriad of problems the G73 is plagued with.

Here is a list of issues I have personally experienced:

1.The 206 bios update Kills the keyboard lights.

2. Updating the GPU Drivers to anything other than the stock 9.12 results in frequent GSODs in Crysis, Arkham Asylum and GTA IV.

3. Cannot Access Ease of Access Center with the factory default Creative Drivers....had to uninstall them....but in the processs, lost the ability to adjust the depth of the subwoofer.

Issues that other users have been experiencing:

1. Steam locks up, randomly.

2. Random Cakcling noise from the speakers....

3. GPU throttling even when the NB has been plugged back in.

I myself just got my g73, and being aware of all the issues im pratically scared of changing anything else from the factory defaults.

In addition, the 206 was released without any descriptions whatsoever, let alone a warning that KB lights may not work afterwards. Did Asus not test this before releasing it to their loyal customers?

And from what I have read in these pages, rather than admiting to their mistakes (there are a few glaring ones), they keep sending their users to wild goose chases without fixing anything.
In many cases, tech support actually advised users to update their bios, which incidentally, killed their KB lights, without actaully fixing the problem.

To add to the aggrevations of genuine users....theres not a single reply from any Asus representatives in the forum relating to the G73 issues...heck even at NBR.they have an employee / customer advocate from Asus who puts forward problems from posters to the company.

RMA-ing didnt help many users as well. In many cases, and I can document a few, users who RMA-ed their units, waited for weeks or even months, only to get their laptop back
with the same issues they had before, or even new ones. One user sent his unit with a BR ROM, and Asus sent it back with a DVD-RW. So taking all the pain of sending it for RMA and waiting for upto a month, only to have ur laptop returned the exact same state you sent it in...really isnt worth it for me either.

Sometimes, at least letting us know that the company has accepted the problem and are working to fix it is a big consolation.

From what I have heard and read and experienced about Asus's G73...Im sorry to say, whether my G73 has any further issues or not (it already does, coz i can't update my GPU drivers...), i will not be buyin another unit from Asus.

2 yrs warranty sounds nice on paper. 1 yr accidental warranty sounds even better. But in reality, if this is the level of customer service dat they have...(for notebooks none the less, where customer service COUNTS the most)...then in reality dat 2 yr service mite as well say no service at all. I heartily thank every1 for letting me waste their time.

Bottom line, can WE not do anything to get Asus to fix this?....How abt an Online petition here in the forums? I'm open to suggestions.

I love well made computers.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]gmcd2247[/nom]Lol I checked up on the Asus G73 gaming LaptopTaken from ==> http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.asp [...] uage=en-us*** the following are my and my opinions only, based on what I have seen, read, and have experienced). If the moderators believe i have overstepped my boundaries, please feel free to delete this post. I however, Believe I am excercising my right to free speech. If u have purchased a g73, and everything is working as it should be, Kudos to you. This post is meant for those unlucky ones, who didnt get what they were promised out of the box***Well! This going to sound negative, but thruth be told...it seems like we are all just hoping and wishing a lot....rather than doing anything to fix this the myriad of problems the G73 is plagued with.Here is a list of issues I have personally experienced:1.The 206 bios update Kills the keyboard lights.2. Updating the GPU Drivers to anything other than the stock 9.12 results in frequent GSODs in Crysis, Arkham Asylum and GTA IV.3. Cannot Access Ease of Access Center with the factory default Creative Drivers....had to uninstall them....but in the processs, lost the ability to adjust the depth of the subwoofer.Issues that other users have been experiencing:1. Steam locks up, randomly.2. Random Cakcling noise from the speakers....3. GPU throttling even when the NB has been plugged back in.I myself just got my g73, and being aware of all the issues im pratically scared of changing anything else from the factory defaults.In addition, the 206 was released without any descriptions whatsoever, let alone a warning that KB lights may not work afterwards. Did Asus not test this before releasing it to their loyal customers?And from what I have read in these pages, rather than admiting to their mistakes (there are a few glaring ones), they keep sending their users to wild goose chases without fixing anything.In many cases, tech support actually advised users to update their bios, which incidentally, killed their KB lights, without actaully fixing the problem.To add to the aggrevations of genuine users....theres not a single reply from any Asus representatives in the forum relating to the G73 issues...heck even at NBR.they have an employee / customer advocate from Asus who puts forward problems from posters to the company.RMA-ing didnt help many users as well. In many cases, and I can document a few, users who RMA-ed their units, waited for weeks or even months, only to get their laptop backwith the same issues they had before, or even new ones. One user sent his unit with a BR ROM, and Asus sent it back with a DVD-RW. So taking all the pain of sending it for RMA and waiting for upto a month, only to have ur laptop returned the exact same state you sent it in...really isnt worth it for me either.Sometimes, at least letting us know that the company has accepted the problem and are working to fix it is a big consolation.From what I have heard and read and experienced about Asus's G73...Im sorry to say, whether my G73 has any further issues or not (it already does, coz i can't update my GPU drivers...), i will not be buyin another unit from Asus. 2 yrs warranty sounds nice on paper. 1 yr accidental warranty sounds even better. But in reality, if this is the level of customer service dat they have...(for notebooks none the less, where customer service COUNTS the most)...then in reality dat 2 yr service mite as well say no service at all. I heartily thank every1 for letting me waste their time.Bottom line, can WE not do anything to get Asus to fix this?....How abt an Online petition here in the forums? I'm open to suggestions.I love well made computers.[/citation]
GMCD..there is a reason why they make Apple computers. its for simple minded beings like you, who never took the time to learn Computer maintence 101. Never had a single windows computer owned by me have any problems. And your last statement proves your ignorance, because 1. you called me a noob over a forum's section (how nerdy are you? seriously, you just gave yourself an image over an internet chatroom. and its definitely not a pretty one) and why do you say you can't compare a Core i7 laptop to a dual core mac laptop? they're the same price, so why can't you compare something with equal price? Idk why I even argue with you..Your knowledge goes as far as a 7th grader who thinks he knows everything about computers. I guess thats why I make $200 a pop for each computer i fix, and you probably make nothing. But then again, your career field probably has nothing to do with technology at all.

oh and I'll also have you note, since were both making assumptions here, I HAVE used the Mac OSX operating system, as its my job to collectively rebuild computers at work, and the Mac OSX is to me the most oblivious OS i've ever used. I found Linux to be less idiotic the first time I used it than I did Mac OSX, but i suppose thats because OSX is meant for people who aren't bright with technology..

Status
Not open for further replies.