Question Acer battery charge limit 80%

May 15, 2022
so the charge limit is you charged until 80 percent and it wont charge again but if you charge over 80 percent it should discharge the battery again over the time but when im charging it doesnt discharge at 80 percent is this normal?

You can often change this charge capacity in the bios. Not sure why manufacturers do this, other than some potential saving on the battery life. Who wants their 'laptop' to run out of charge while on the go, where a 100% battery might give an extra hour or two productivity (depending on CPU/system). Seems kind counter intuitive to me!

You can often change this charge capacity in the bios. Not sure why manufacturers do this, other than some potential saving on the battery life. Who wants their 'laptop' to run out of charge while on the go, where a 100% battery might give an extra hour or two productivity (depending on CPU/system). Seems kind counter intuitive to me!
Keeping the battery charged to 100% all the time causes it to lose capacity faster (see https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries), and there was probably some marketing study done that showed most people leave their laptops plugged in.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Keeping the battery charged to 100% all the time causes it to lose capacity faster (see https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries), and there was probably some marketing study done that showed most people leave their laptops plugged in.

Yeah, I kinda mentioned that. I guess what I was trying to say (but badly :tearsofjoy:) is that I think manufacturers should prompt the user to change this. Let them know why, and give them the choice to enable it or not.

An example being my own Omen 15 laptop. HP prompt you with this option. With that said, I mainly leave my laptop plugged in (for obvious gaming related reasons), but also leave the charge capacity at 100%. Battery is still reading in perfect order after 1.5 yrs. If the reduction in lifespan is 6 months from a lets say, 5 year lifespan, which will be more important? - Not having to buy a new battery for 6 months, or being able to use the laptop for the increased amount of time/productivity by having it at 100% battery capacity? I guess that really comes down to user preference, which brings me full circle to my first point.

Yeah, I kinda mentioned that. I guess what I was trying to say (but badly :tearsofjoy:) is that I think manufacturers should prompt the user to change this. Let them know why, and give them the choice to enable it or not.

An example being my own Omen 15 laptop. HP prompt you with this option. With that said, I mainly leave my laptop plugged in (for obvious gaming related reasons), but also leave the charge capacity at 100%. Battery is still reading in perfect order after 1.5 yrs. If the reduction in lifespan is 6 months from a lets say, 5 year lifespan, which will be more important? - Not having to buy a new battery for 6 months, or being able to use the laptop for the increased amount of time/productivity by having it at 100% battery capacity? I guess that really comes down to user preference, which brings me full circle to my first point.
I would argue it depends on how often you have access to mains power. If you're out in the sticks with no power most of the time, sure, having full capacity would be better. But if you're at your desk or in a place most of the time with mains power, then I would say it isn't really that important, especially if you plan on keeping the laptop for the long term or want to sell it.

I do also agree that this sort of thing should be more visible, and if anything, something the OS should have control over.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead