Acer CEO and President Gianfranco Lanci Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Did you know him schmich, I mean personally, beyond what you might have read in the press, or do you form your opinions of people based on 3rd-party reporting?

f-14

Distinguished
HAPPY APRIL FOOLS TOMS HARDWARE
microsoft out did you changing my date to may 1st when the clock rolled over, was trying to figure out how microsoft security essentials said its virus definition was out of date and hadn't been scanned in 7 days yet it had the same definition number when i hit update and had just let it scan the previous night!
ooh hahahahaha very funny microsoft!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
So the world is moving into tablets, the CEO says they should be betting into it as well to stop being left behind in such a lucrative market, the stuffy old board decide they want to be cautious so the CEO resigns.

Acer will end up falling by the wayside because they ignored good advice.

If I was the CEO I would resign too and see if I could get a job at a company with vision and backbone.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Acer could easily make a tablet. Besides HP and Dell are going to make their own tablets too. Just another product to sell. Acer doesn't innovate so why change things. The CEO needs to go.

thegame8019

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Acer's aren't bad they have actually been one of the most dependable pc's that I maintain. Though I don't like the idea of the switching gears to compete with apple, they are on a strong steady dependable path why ruin themselves.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
the strategy before was to gain market share at the expense of profit margin by selling cheaper, lower cost, lower quality products. at only 2.3% margin, acer had to sell 8x more to be on par with apple. a lot more work for fewer profit.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I guess the board of directors at Acer must be a bunch of idiots. Forget the fact they all have degrees (several are PhD's) and studied in the areas of business, engineering and marketing. Forget they all have extensive experience working for and directing the operations of large multi-billion dollar companies.

They need to do one thing to help Acer prosper:

LISTEN TO THE EXPERT'S AT TOM'S who clearly know more about the computer business than they do. Pay special attention to the Apple hater, as they are most intelligent of the lot.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
"Can't fix stupid"

How's that $1,599 WWDC ticket feel in your hand?
You will probably frame it and show your kids someday, meanwhile Apple is laughing all the way to the bank.

If you get offended then i succeeded.

G

Publicly trading a company results in idiot shareholders and idiot boards of directors who get these crazy ideas that they can do something, then the force the crazy idea down peoples throats that wind up destabilizing the company, and costing thousands of people their jobs. The shareholders then sell-sell-sell, and the board pulls the ripcord to their golden parachute, and let's someone else clean up the mess. The idea that everyone can be Apple is as ludicrous as the idea that everyone can be Ferrari(no disrespect to Ferrari).

This ranks up there with AMD's idiot board of directors thinking AMD could/should/would make a viable cellphone CPU. They'd do just as well to diversify into making cars as they would cellphone chips, just look at Intel's utter lack of design wins for billions of dollars in research and development.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Acer will most likely never be an Apple... that required innovation. ACER is a parts company that puts them together and sells basic boxes with paid-for bloat ware.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Yep...

Now we see Capitalism destroy creativity (user customization) as well as technological feats.

From now on a Technological feat will be to release an initial product at a given price and then 3 months later re-release the same product in a different color and slightly updated look/feel. Maybe include a new "Sticker".

Watch as a bunch of folks go out and buy the initial product and then the re-release.

Ahh crApple.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]HavoCnMe[/nom]"Can't fix stupid"How's that $1,599 WWDC ticket feel in your hand? You will probably frame it and show your kids someday, meanwhile Apple is laughing all the way to the bank.If you get offended then i succeeded.[/citation]
You're in a bar and go up to a guy you don't like and punch him in the face. He just stands there looking at you and you ask him:

"Did that hurt?"

If you have to ask, then you've already lost.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]So the world is moving into tablets, the CEO says they should be betting into it as well to stop being left behind in such a lucrative market, the stuffy old board decide they want to be cautious so the CEO resigns.Acer will end up falling by the wayside because they ignored good advice.If I was the CEO I would resign too and see if I could get a job at a company with vision and backbone.[/citation]
Amazing, the story was totally the wrong way round - but kudos for fixing the mistake.

In this instance I now think the board was right and the CEO was an idiot who will be lucky to get a job selling beige-box PCs in Frys.

G

I guess the board of directors at Acer must be a bunch of idiots. Forget the fact they all have degrees (several are PhD's) and studied in the areas of business, engineering and marketing. Forget they all have extensive experience working for and directing the operations of large multi-billion dollar companies.

They need to do one thing to help Acer prosper:

LISTEN TO THE EXPERT'S AT TOM'S who clearly know more about the computer business than they do. Pay special attention to the Apple hater, as they are most intelligent of the lot.

So where the people running GM a few years ago, doing good in school and actually knowing what your doing are different things...

Hahaha... I vote this as post of the day!

Getting back on track though, I've never really cared for any of Acer's products. Other companies have either had something better out and I went with it, or the Acer part failed and was promptly returned. I'm not losing any sleep over this one...

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Wheeeeeeeee! Apple sheeple are giving Apple such awesome profit margins (read: ripping people off like crazy) that now everyone else thinks they should start following their lead!

Get ready for a flood of overpriced crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.