Acer Chief Says There Are Too Many PC Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Gee. Let me think. OH nothing new here. Of course Acer wants to say "he believes that fewer players in the PC making market would lead to greater profits." Well, duh. However while good for those few companies that will still exist. It does leave the overall Joe with limited choices. So imho, the more the merrier.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Less competition means higher prices for the consumer. If Acer gets what it wants it will have to try to make up for the costs of buying out the others. Don't think that this won't effect those of us who build our own PCs either because the "negotiate for better prices for computer components" Is really them saying "your forced to deal with us so we want that hardware for dirt cheap" This in turn will make the hardware companies rise the prices of their hardware to make of for its loss of profits which means retailers like Newegg will have to pay more and then that extra cost ends with us.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]ANTI-COMPETETIVE! Get 'em EU![/citation]

LOL! Well that answers my question about who the EU will go after once they are done with M$.

LUCKYSTARWZ

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
self built is always good, but sometimes u can't ignore cheap deals on Used PCs like on craig list, especially if it was a self built.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Aww. Is poor little ACER having trouble competeing?

I'm pretty sure 99% of the world would like even more companies to drive prices even lower.

In my opinion no one company should control more than 10% of ANY MARKET. If so, split them up. This 'Too big to fail' garbage we got fed by the government is ridiculous. Never let any company get too big to fail.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]LOL! Well that answers my question about who the EU will go after once they are done with M$.[/citation]

EU prefers to go after American companies. That's why Acer hired this Italian CEO in order to expand in Europe.

verrul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
acer still operates emachines and acer brand both sell different computers. pb and gateway are gone as brand names

gcolefla

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Maybe if a PC company could make a laptop that was different than all of the other companies. Personally I am looking for the base macbook pro 13" from a pc company. I imagine it could be sold for $799 since it has a 9400m gt and a decent dual core processor. All of the pc laptop companies are just making the same plastic, heavy, and thick junk. I haven't seen much innovation in the physical pc laptop case in years. Dell almost has this laptop with the studio 14z, but it has no optical drive and it is still 1.25" towards the back of the machine. Also, a pc company needs to come along that offers really affordable warranties or have a two year one standard. On most sites I look at, a 2 year warranty can cost 1/3 the cost of the whole machine. A $700 laptop can easily become a $950 laptop with an extra year of warranty on it.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]LOL! Well that answers my question about who the EU will go after once they are done with M$.[/citation]
Acer has nowhere near the amount of money needed to make the EU go after them. Their net profit last year was only "about USD60.29 million.". If that M becomes a B, then they better watch out for the EU.

fargom

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ColMirage[/nom]Self built > Prebuilt. Unless you're really short on time or there's some sort of blazing hot deal.[/citation]

From a performance standpoint, of course. However, the real money is made with prebuilt computers that are sold to companies/schools/governments around the world.

The homebuilt enthusiast market is a very VERY small share of global computer sales.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
[citation][nom]gcolefla[/nom]Maybe if a PC company could make a laptop that was different than all of the other companies. Personally I am looking for the base macbook pro 13" from a pc company. I imagine it could be sold for $799 since it has a 9400m gt and a decent dual core processor. All of the pc laptop companies are just making the same plastic, heavy, and thick junk. I haven't seen much innovation in the physical pc laptop case in years. Dell almost has this laptop with the studio 14z, but it has no optical drive and it is still 1.25" towards the back of the machine. Also, a pc company needs to come along that offers really affordable warranties or have a two year one standard. On most sites I look at, a 2 year warranty can cost 1/3 the cost of the whole machine. A $700 laptop can easily become a $950 laptop with an extra year of warranty on it.[/citation]

You can buy it from Apple and load Windows on it.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
"he believes that fewer players in the PC making market would lead to greater profits" it's like: "If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator."

ctbmike

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Yeah - He's pretty much an asshole...Another reason I stay away from Acer products (like I need another one)!

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]gcolefla[/nom]Maybe if a PC company could make a laptop that was different than all of the other companies. Personally I am looking for the base macbook pro 13" from a pc company. I imagine it could be sold for $799 since it has a 9400m gt and a decent dual core processor. All of the pc laptop companies are just making the same plastic, heavy, and thick junk. I haven't seen much innovation in the physical pc laptop case in years. Dell almost has this laptop with the studio 14z, but it has no optical drive and it is still 1.25" towards the back of the machine. Also, a pc company needs to come along that offers really affordable warranties or have a two year one standard. On most sites I look at, a 2 year warranty can cost 1/3 the cost of the whole machine. A $700 laptop can easily become a $950 laptop with an extra year of warranty on it.[/citation]

You do know that the exact same hardware in a "PC" comes in a Mac, right?
If you want a laptop with a decent case, check out lenovo. If you are drinking the thin laptop kool-aid; Lenovo's X300 model is the thinnest available. One year warranties usually come standard without extra cost.

In general, it is good practice to make sure you have all the information before you criticize something.

jbwhite99

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
actually to njalterio and gcolefla, check out either the new Lenovo T400s (slimline like X300, but with 2.53GHz processor, and 14" screen - can even get with a Blu-Ray reader) or the new IdeaPad U350 (has external optical though).

In response to this article, Acer is an OEM to me - that's how they started. Secondly, they got bigger by acquisition (they bought Packard-Bell and Gateway). To me, Packard-Bell tells me what quality Acer is looking for. The problem with companies like Acer and Dell is that they suck the innovation out of the computer field - the reason you can't have aluminum cases is because these companies cut to the bone, and suck the innovation out. Acer used to have some good products (like the Ferrari notebook), but they went all Dell on us and decided that cheaper is better (for that matter, so has Toshiba).

Net is that only Lenovo and Apple make innovative, quality products. HP makes decent quality, and the rest get the PT Barnums of the world to buy.

jbwhite99

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
actually to njalterio and gcolefla, check out either the new Lenovo T400s (slimline like X300, but with 2.53GHz processor, and 14" screen - can even get with a Blu-Ray reader) or the new IdeaPad U350 (has external optical though).

In response to this article, Acer is an OEM to me - that's how they started. Secondly, they got bigger by acquisition (they bought Packard-Bell and Gateway). To me, Packard-Bell tells me what quality Acer is looking for. The problem with companies like Acer and Dell is that they suck the innovation out of the computer field - the reason you can't have aluminum cases is because these companies cut to the bone, and suck the innovation out. Acer used to have some good products (like the Ferrari notebook), but they went all Dell on us and decided that cheaper is better (for that matter, so has Toshiba).

Net is that only Lenovo and Apple make innovative, quality products. HP makes decent quality, and the rest get the PT Barnums of the world to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.