Acer, Dell, LG, And Samsung: Four 23" LCD Monitors, Rounded-Up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i agree, there's something wrong with the contrast numbers. pretty much any desktop lcd monitor made within the last few years can pull off at least a 500:1 contrast ratio.

a contrast ratio in the 200's is likely the result of a problem with the monitor, its settings, or incorrect video driver output levels (driver is detecting monitor as a tv).

Eman25th

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

Got'cha, and i would kill for an AMOLED screen ^.^ have it on my cell and it would be amazing to have a 24" one for gaming.

wkp

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Mixed Results in the reviews.
The IPS236V has been well received by critics - www.testseek.com/
The other monitors had "lower results".
Hard to know the best choice...

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I Have an LG IPS236v, http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/image0207k.jpg/ I Had it replaced by the store but the new one have the same problem, so I called LG and have them Come and take it for repair, a week later they returned and said that they had replaced the panel and that the bleed is normal for the Model! http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/image0208on.jpg/

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]LG's QA website.[/citation]

Thanks. That's interesting, indeed.

Andrew Ku is a gentleman and a scholar.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]zepd3z[/nom]I Have an LG IPS236v, http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag [...] 0207k.jpg/ I Had it replaced by the store but the new one have the same problem, so I called LG and have them Come and take it for repair, a week later they returned and said that they had replaced the panel and that the bleed is normal for the Model! http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag [...] 208on.jpg/[/citation]

I think most LED monitors are quite abysmal in this regard. I think it's not the backlight itself, but the obsession with thinness. I really prefer CCFL backlit monitors.

I also suspect there is a lot of variability in the models, which may help explain the differences between Andrew's testing results for the LG vs. others. But... I'd be inclined to trust acku more.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
1980x1080 is prob. wrong as the standard TV size is 1920x1080

And there we are, yet another TV screen sold for PC use.
I've been using 1200+ lines for years and will not go 'down' from there.
If we as IT consumers don't get the message across that we need more
resolution than we will get stuck with these screens for years to come.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]1980x1080 is prob. wrong as the standard TV size is 1920x1080And there we are, yet another TV screen sold for PC use.I've been using 1200+ lines for years and will not go 'down' from there.If we as IT consumers don't get the message across that we need moreresolution than we will get stuck with these screens for years to come.[/citation]
You're quite free to buy 1920x1200 screens. You're just going to pay a lot more for it. 1920x1080 panels are cheaper to make, most consumers, even life-long computer users such as myself, don't really care about the loss of 120 lines of vertical resolution enough to pay a premium for it, and they will, therefore continue to be made and be popular.

Geez, will the 1920x1200 purists give it a rest... can't have any damn monitor review without a bunch coming in and crying about it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]You're quite free to buy 1920x1200 screens. You're just going to pay a lot more for it. 1920x1080 panels are cheaper to make, most consumers, even life-long computer users such as myself, don't really care about the loss of 120 lines of vertical resolution enough to pay a premium for it, and they will, therefore continue to be made and be popular.Geez, will the 1920x1200 purists give it a rest... can't have any damn monitor review without a bunch coming in and crying about it.[/citation]

Maybe read my comment. I want more that 1200 lines !
I do a lot of AV work, incl. HD video editing. That means the Video I am editing would take up the whole screen; and yes, another reason to use multiple monitors.
same for Photoshop. you have 10,12 or 14 MP images and now you edit them on a 2MP screen.
Not even to mention the color problems on those screens. You realize that TV screens work in a different 'color space' than PCs ?
So all your precious game colors are off too !

I understand that there is a consumer market for 1920x1080 at $149.99. Nothing wrong with that.
But this is a techsite catering to professionals as well, and as such I'd prefer to see reviews of some pro gear as well.

If you spend $500 on a GPU, you should also have a decent monitor to actually enjoy that high priced output. And $150 isn't going to get you that !

wooodoggies

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
i returned a HP 2511x for the 236v LG ips, and i love it. i did notice the lack of deep blacks on the LG but the super rich viewing angles reminds me of my plasma, color saturation and gamut i thought was pretty good considering. the HP had an absolutely intolerable viewing angle problem. I didn't notice the lack of deep blacks ingame, but on desktop it seemed lacking. Overall i would pick the LG again but my bestbuy didn't have a very large selection and i am not buying something i can't return locally, quickly.

Is it possible for Tom's to list the calibrated settings that was used for each model in this roundup? Given the popularity of these models, it would provide us end users with some base settings to enhance our viewing enjoyment. I personally own the samsung s23a550h and would like to try some different settings than the ones ive found on the internet. Obviously each lcd is going to be different, but still should help us out a bit.

Thanks Tom's.

P.S. I think its time to start pushing/reviewing 3840×2160 monitors being that it will be the next hdtv standard in less than a decade.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Yep, I have an Acer S231HL and it's a POS. The viewing angles are terrible, the default color presets such like hell, the OSD is a pita to use (not that you have to use those much), it says 'cable not connected' when I turn my PC off but it's still connected, the colors are washed out by default... I definitely do NOT recommend that monitor. I'm thinking about selling it and getting something different (may as well go for a 25" one, as 23" is a bit small for me dpi-wise, and font scaling doesn't always work too well). Maybe an asus VE258Q?

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Why did they try out the IPS panel of LG at 250$ when they cud get a decent 23" normal LED @$180 from LG?

I currently have a 21.5" LG E2241 T, which has great contrast ratios (500000:1) and very good blackness ratio. And I got it for $170!! It was the most decent buy in that range, specifically because it has great looks as well. Plus, I run it at power saving mode, so blow only 20W of power.

Choosing the wrong type of LED in this comparison makes LG looks bad, when in reality, only Acer and LG offer the best and affordable monitors in the entire market.

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]gam0reily[/nom] Choosing the wrong type of LED in this comparison makes LG looks bad, when in reality, only Acer and LG offer the best and affordable monitors in the entire market.[/citation]

Well, I dont mean to include Acer with LG. Acer is not that gr8 compared to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.