Acer Developing a $699 15" Ultrabook, Says Supply Chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
How would they keep a 15" model under the Intel-prescribed weight limit when they are having such a hard time keeping 13" models under that limit?

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Ultracrap more like it.
Stop milking the system greedies and release 2560 X 1600 laptops!!

I'm ok with Intel (and some other companies) sitting on thier hands to make money but we need to start pushing the technological age again.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]amstech[/nom]Ultracrap more like it.Stop milking the system greedies and release 2560 X 1600 laptops!!I'm ok with Intel (and some other companies) sitting on thier hands to make money but we need to start pushing the technological age again.[/citation]
why such high resolution?....your icons will be so very small, what we need is a laptop with at least 8 hours of battery under full stress

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]why such high resolution?....your icons will be so very small, what we need is a laptop with at least 8 hours of battery under full stress[/citation]
That is a bit high but if you were editing photos like in photoshop that would be ideal. I don't see many people doing that. I would appreciate a full RGB 1920x1200 screen on a 17" laptop

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I agree with you amstech.

Resolution of 2560 x 1600 are what's need and in fact will be the next evolution of laptops and ultrabooks.

Icons won't be smaller, just the DPI will be a lot better. Funny how on a tech forum I keep hearing people complaining that the text and icons will be smaller.

iPhone 3 and iPhone 4 have the same size screen with similar sized icons but the 4 has a lot higher resolution (has higher DPI)

Umm, this is the "ultrabook" market. Thin. Light. Not a powerhouse for Photoshop, high-end graphics, massive storage, and so forth. It's addressing a specific market. Let's judge it in that context.

As for resolution, my eyes have always preferred higher resolution in the same space. I set font and icon sizes to "normal" sizes, but the additional resolution is kinder to my eyes. Except for graphics professionals, this may be a matter of personal preference.

[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]that picture that has appeared in every single ultrabook article here sure is getting boring.[/citation]Funny how the picture of that girl with the legs that appears in every Xbox article isn't getting boring. :)

[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]That's thanks to Microsoft and their crappy Windows. Increase the DPI and everything breaks, icons look like $%#@$%@. Use another languages - everything breaks. Put a larger monitor, everything gets smaller... etc.[/citation]It's not really fair to talk trash on something because you know nothing about it. Windows has a simple setting to change text size (small, regular, large, XL, Custom) that fixes most the icons to fit on a higher resolution. What computer system do you use that has perfect automatic customization and peripheral compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.