[SOLVED] Acer E1-571 (2012) Laptop - beeping, boot & functionality Issues ?

Aug 31, 2021
Hello all!

I've actually browsed these forums since god knows when, 2009? But never joined until today!

I'm incredibly "Savvy" when it comes to this stuff but this time around I am ABSOLUTELY stumped & need help from you good folks.

• Laptop: Acer E1-571
  • Video of Issues:
    View: https://vimeo.com/595571596
    (VIDEO EDITED WITH PINNACLE STUDIO, TURN YOUR VOLUME UP FOR THE CODES/ETC)

• Issue: There are two different sets of error "noises", the stuttering fan (see video) happens both with & without the HDD in. The second is the Beeping noises (see video) that I seriously CANNOT decipher for the life of me even after working as a 2nd Level Tech for Hospitals, for 7 years...
- Problem Solving: I've ripped apart this laptop to it's bare parts 2 or 3 times now & completely cleaned everything. I've used different ribbons from other functioning Laptops, tried different parts from similar functioning Laptops & even flat out tried to "bread-board" it from the entire laptop laying on separate plastic stations to see what "REALLY" was going wrong.

To be honest, I want to throw the thing out the window but it was my FIRST ever laptop (go figure, the one device I can't fix is my own) so I really wanted your guys' help or suggestions. It's so frustrating & I'm unquestionably making excuses but maybe since it is mine & I have sentimental value to it, I simply just refuse to distinguish certain variables to decipher it accordingly?

Either way, any help & suggestions are welcome. I will also follow along with Question -> Suggestive Fix (I will do) -> Question -> Suggestive Fix (etc) if I am talking with another seasoned Tech.

Either way, thanks for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Does the beep take place without any ram in your build? If so then I'd start by sourcing some sticks of ram from your friend or neighbor and see if replacing the ram changes your experience. The other thing could be that the motherboard's BIOS is corrupt and perhaps the only way around it is to either find a replacement BIOS chip or a whole new motherboard, that is the same as what you have at the time of writing.

The other thing that you could try and do is take the ram(s) and the storage over to a donor system. The laptop HDD should be SATA and you can hook it up to a desktop system or a dock to see if the drive is intact. The rams, if they are bad they will prevent the donor laptop from booting up...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Does the beep take place without any ram in your build? If so then I'd start by sourcing some sticks of ram from your friend or neighbor and see if replacing the ram changes your experience. The other thing could be that the motherboard's BIOS is corrupt and perhaps the only way around it is to either find a replacement BIOS chip or a whole new motherboard, that is the same as what you have at the time of writing.

The other thing that you could try and do is take the ram(s) and the storage over to a donor system. The laptop HDD should be SATA and you can hook it up to a desktop system or a dock to see if the drive is intact. The rams, if they are bad they will prevent the donor laptop from booting up or will be missing from BIOS/CPU-Z detections.

On a side note, while the laptop's innards were sprawled across the table, did you disconnect all power sources from the laptop, then pressed and held down the power button for 30 seconds and then removed the CMOS battery for 30 minutes, prior to putting it all together?

Solution
If what
Lutfij
said doesnt work try below

1. Remove power cable, remove batttery, start pressing FN+ESC keys with other hand, keep pressing and plugin power cable (still holding FN+ESC) Now press Power on key once while holding FN+ESC for another 15second, if you get to bios recovery mode fans should be going full speed.

(usb recovery further if this fails to recover)

2. If you tried to boot barebone , try to boot without fan connected to see if its shorted, you should get Error message "fan missing" or similar if thats the issue just replace fan. You can plugin external monitor via HDMI or VGA so no need to assembly the whole thing back when testing.

3. Check USB ports for shorted pins (looking messed up)

4. Make crisis recovery usb (try to find SMALLEST usb you have, something like 4GB or 2GB) : https://www.manualslib.com/manual/440295/Acer-Aspire-E1-531.html?page=66#manual
This is for E1-531 so obviously you need exact ec and bios for your model.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021
(Sorry, used to manual Linux Quoting)
Lutfij said;

Q: Does the beep take place without any ram in your build? If so then I'd start by sourcing some sticks of ram from your friend or neighbor and see if replacing the ram changes your experience.
= Does the Beep subside, because there is no ram
A: With no RAM, I'm sure you know how the boot sequence goes!Lol, Windows would complain more than my wife.

Q: The other thing could be that the motherboard's BIOS is corrupt and perhaps the only way around it is to either find a replacement BIOS chip or a whole new motherboard, that is the same as what you have at the time of writing.
- BIOS Update:
A: Bios is 100% updated, no worries there! Ty tho!

Q: The other thing that you could try and do is take the ram(s) and the storage over to a donor system. The laptop HDD should be SATA and you can hook it up to a desktop system or a dock to see if the drive is intact. The rams, if they are bad they will prevent the donor laptop from booting up or will be missing from BIOS/CPU-Z detections
A: Just tried, I even allocated an ENTIRELY new OS+(RE-installedboot)..luck=0%;
A2: A new HDD doesnt help either :(

Q: On a side note, while the laptop's innards were sprawled across the table, did you disconnect all power sources from the laptop, then pressed and held down the power button for 30 seconds and then removed the CMOS battery for 30 minutes, prior to putting it all together?
A: Yes,I have to ground myself SEVERAL times throughout the day if that better answers this question without explaining myself too much.