[SOLVED] Acer es1-512 ram compatibility problem?

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi, I wasn't sure whether to post this in the laptops section or here seeing as it pertains to both things so apologies of it's in the wrong place, anyway...

I've got an old Acer aspire es1-512 laptop, never particularly fast when new, definitely not seven years later, but in an effort to speed things up a little I'm going to be fitting an sshd, and also doubling the ram from 4gb to 8gb (only one slot)

The ram fitted as standard is Samsung M471B5173DBO-YKO, DDR3, PC3L-12800, 1x 4gb module.

however, I already have an 8gb DDR3 module left over from an HP laptop that needs ddr3l instead so it's essentially free.

The new ram is Samsung M471B1G73QHO-YKO, DDR3, PC3L-12800, 1x 8gb module.

So, as far as I can tell it's pretty much the same ram as before but a larger capacity, if the part numbers are anything to go by, so it should obviously work, however it doesn't.

Laptop lights up, spins it's fans for three or four seconds and then switches off.

If I refit the old module, or the 4gb hynix module I have left from when I upgraded the aforementioned hp machine, it works, so it has to be the ram.

The internet suggests this old Acer can take 8gb, so I'm a little puzzled as to why it doesn't work .

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
While crucial has made a great name for themselves for upgrades, one of the biggest problems they have is that they will 'update' the modules they sell for older laptops and then their recommended modules won't work in the exact same manner the OP is running across. This happens because newer modules will use higher density or unsupported module construction that is too new for older laptops. Hence my recommendation to find some used ram from that period which should work.
Hi, I wasn't sure whether to post this in the laptops section or here seeing as it pertains to both things so apologies of it's in the wrong place, anyway...

I've got an old Acer aspire es1-512 laptop, never particularly fast when new, definitely not seven years later, but in an effort to speed things up a little I'm going to be fitting an sshd, and also doubling the ram from 4gb to 8gb (only one slot)

The ram fitted as standard is Samsung M471B5173DBO-YKO, DDR3, PC3L-12800, 1x 4gb module.

however, I already have an 8gb DDR3 module left over from an HP laptop that needs ddr3l instead so it's essentially free.

The new ram is Samsung M471B1G73QHO-YKO, DDR3, PC3L-12800, 1x 8gb module.

So, as far as I can tell it's pretty much the same ram as before but a larger capacity, if the part numbers are anything to go by, so it should obviously work, however it doesn't.

Laptop lights up, spins it's fans for three or four seconds and then switches off.

If I refit the old module, or the 4gb hynix module I have left from when I upgraded the aforementioned hp machine, it works, so it has to be the ram.

The internet suggests this old Acer can take 8gb, so I'm a little puzzled as to why it doesn't work .

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance :)
Your problem is that your laptop uses DDR-3L. Note the L.
Your old 4 Go module is indeed the L standard, but your new is simple DDR-3, and this uses a different voltage.
For exemple, you can buy this RAM four your PC
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-es1-512

Last edited:

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
I see what you're saying, however the specs are identical so far as I can make out, both the original 4gb module and the new 8gb one are both pc3l (presuming the L stands for low voltage) and have an operating voltage of 1.35v, in comparison to regular ddr3 which is 1.5v, that's what's confusing me, as apart from the capacity the spec is the same.

Reactions: SamirD
I see what you're saying, however the specs are identical so far as I can make out, both the original 4gb module and the new 8gb one are both pc3l (presuming the L stands for low voltage) and have an operating voltage of 1.35v, in comparison to regular ddr3 which is 1.5v, that's what's confusing me, as apart from the capacity the spec is the same.

Mmmm, you are right. The 8Go stick is also DDR-3L.
So the only thing which remains from my post, is the reference given by Crucial.
Crucial is generaly regarded as the ’to go brand for OEM computers’.
The reference given seems to be in stock as well at Amazon as Newegg.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Thanks egda, that's what I'll go for come payday, these laptops are such a pain as you have to disconnect all sorts of stuff due to the ram slot being on the underside of the board, it's peace of mind getting the crucial stuff, as that's exactly the same module I bought for the hp laptop I revived a while ago, I also need to get a battery for this Acer as it says that it isn't detected, but is also charged to 255 percent sometimes as well, this is of course non replaceable in the conventional sense too, great fun lol

While crucial has made a great name for themselves for upgrades, one of the biggest problems they have is that they will 'update' the modules they sell for older laptops and then their recommended modules won't work in the exact same manner the OP is running across. This happens because newer modules will use higher density or unsupported module construction that is too new for older laptops. Hence my recommendation to find some used ram from that period which should work.

Solution