Acer 'Gets' Gaming; CEO Jason Chen's Wise Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABagOfFritos

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Maybe they should consider improving their overall build quality before anything. Acers have been known as shitboxes for years now. Rampant hardware problems from purchasing cheap parts.

I like the sound of a lot of this, but I remain sceptical due to Acer's history of building crap computers.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Maybe they should consider improving their overall build quality before anything. Acers have been known as shitboxes for years now. Rampant hardware problems from purchasing cheap parts.

I like the sound of a lot of this, but I remain sceptical due to Acer's history of building crap computers.
I respectfully disagree with your statement on Acer's build quality,the workshop of my former employ used a Acer desktop as one of its workhorse trouble shooting/data backup/gaming machines(when a Radeon HD card was installed) and the machine as of this writing hasn't failed and still has the original parts. My former boss swore by Acer laptops and the only reason he has gone through 2 in the last 3 in the last seven years is because he wants the latest,his old laptops are still in good working order with some wear on them as they are his primary machines.

GeekDad63

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
"Acer gets gaming".... good Friday Funny. Can't recall anytime in past Acer was synonymous with gaming...so did they just have a revelation?

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I almost replied "yeah Asus is good stuff", but then I remembered we're talking about Acer... That being said, I have a cheapo Walmart Acer (redundant?) that's managed to stay current for several years with the right upgrades like a new CPU, RAM etc etc...

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Here's some good advice for gaming laptops: I don't care how the keyboard responds or the touchpad, just make them usable. Most serious gamers will use a controller or a separate keyboard/mouse anyway. Quality displays are nice, but the chassis itself usually isn't a factor cosmetically (at least for me).

The most important thing to me is cooling and consistent performance. What good is the best specs money can buy if it's cooled by a single low-speed fan and the cheapest thermal compound available? Maximize your cooling potential and keep the gamers happy that they won't have to worry about frying their hardware or experiencing thermal throttling! Seriously, cooling is one thing so many manufacturers and models struggle with, if you can get that right, you'll get a ton of new customers when the word gets out that you've built a stable, cool gaming laptop!

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Most of the kiddos in my programming class go on about "will this (macbook, or alienware) laptop be good for gaming? Usually all I ask is "how thick is it?". Some of the older guys get the idea, bigger heatsink = better performance. Heat dissipation is the biggest limiting factor for laptops vs desktop. Always wondered why no one's thought pipping the heat right out the top of the monitor, like a little smoke stack...

clifftam

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Actually Acer already sponsored a team for Starcraft 2. It ain't like they never associate with the gaming industry before.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Acer in the last 90's had a HUGE quality problems. That's why you heard almost nothing from them between 2000 and 2007. Then they re-org'd and came back too strong offering too many products (With so so quality) and are now a good quality. They aren't ASUS, who imo have stuck true to their quality from start to end. Lets not forget ASUS started as a motherboard company only...that started from people's desire to overclock. Regardless, i'd take ACER of HP or DELL anyday...

wkwilley2

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
Indeed, their build quality has come a long ways. I personally have two of their monitors, 21" and 24", both 1080p monitors, the 21" was an IPS and the 24 was a TN. They both still work great to this day and they were both very inexpensive compared the competition when I bought them.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Acer is a bag of cats, on the low end you get what you pay for.

My most recent work laptop that was issued is very nice. When I.T department said they were getting me an ultra-book from acer I was very worried. I used an acer desktop in the mid 2000's that had a PSU catch fire. Well i was issued the laptop and so far no complaints. The v7 with a high resolution 1080p screen paired to a 750M graphics card does the job.

Would i spend my money on an acer, well that's yet to be seen.

JunkeyMonkey,

This is only true for there laptops. Laptops usually can only upgrade the Ram and HDD/SSD, very few allow for CPU upgrades. On the desktop front Most of there desktops are upgrade-able except being locked out of the bios, just like any other company, until you hit there gaming series desktops. Acer produced the "Predator" that was fully upgrade-able and unlocked bios. Most of there products are aimed at low cost but they have dabbled in the high end quite a few times and this is what many don't know about the company.

For those that say "Walmart" being a bad thing for distribution of the low cost product line end, Then why is there ASUS being sold there?

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I've owned two Acer laptops, and each of them were complete crap. I don't mean the specs, but rather the build quality. They fell apart rather quickly. I would never recommend this brand and won't be suckered into buying another one. Acer might get gaming, but it doesn't get how to build a quality product.

Antias

Honorable
Oct 26, 2014
hmmm - as long as they place the arrow keys slightly away from all the other keys around it. As a leftie, I use the mouse in my left hand and use the arrow keys for movement with my right hand. With the way that laptops squish all the keys up around that area it sometimes gets confusing trying to find the right keys without looking...

sjc1017

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I always said I'd never buy an Acer and then in 2008 I did and it's still going strong, gave it to my nephews a few years ago and they use it. The chassis was indeed cheap but it was flawless, never blue screened and never had any problems with it. I just wish they'd make a large gaming notebook like the g750 with a nice big trackpad. Surely there must be many people who use their machines for work during the day and then want to chill out on the same machine and play games in the evening? I don't see his distinction at all really.

Status
Not open for further replies.