[SOLVED] Acer GN246HL 144hz with DVI to display port

Aug 30, 2019
I recently bought an Acer GN246HL monitor but the thing is, on my pc, I only have a display port and a hdmi port (2.0). I currently use a hdmi cable but this monitor (if I'm correct) doesn't support 144hz through hdmi and it has no displayport. I was wondering if I could get a display port to dvi cable (like this one https://www.ebay.com/c/1134405336) and if it could support 144hz. Don't know if you need it but the displayport is from my pc to dvi on my monitor. I'd love it if you could help me, thanks in advance.

Solution
Sorry i meant in context with your question regarding that there are no displayport to dvi adapter (as far as i know) with the dvi end being male.

Both adapters, the one you linked and the adapter in Glenwing's guide are male displayport to dvi female. The Displayport end plugs into the graphics card. The female end of the adapter requires an male to male dvi dual link cable to connect your monitor.

dvi_info.jpg
Aug 30, 2019
Yeah kinda get what that's supposed to mean, however the link in there is a displayport to dvi female. Do you happen to have a link to a displayport to a dvi male for me? Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019
The thing is that I don't have a dvi port on my pc so that's why I was looking for a displayport to dvi male adapter. Is there no other way I could possibly make it work?

Aug 30, 2019
You said there were no male adapters so maybe I got it wrong but what I'm looking for is Displayport (from my pc) that goes in a dvi female (monitor) So maybe I'm stupid but I think what I'm looking for is a displayport to male adapter and you said they didn't exist, right? Sorry if I'm making this hard I'm bad with cables and english is not my primary language but I really appreciate your help !

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry i meant in context with your question regarding that there are no displayport to dvi adapter (as far as i know) with the dvi end being male.

Both adapters, the one you linked and the adapter in Glenwing's guide are male displayport to dvi female. The Displayport end plugs into the graphics card. The female end of the adapter requires an male to male dvi dual link cable to connect your monitor.

dvi_info.jpg

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like it'll do the job but with these adapters, you really don't know until you try it. So make sure a return is possible if it doesn't work.

Just an idea. If you recently bought your monitor, could you return it and get a monitor like the one i suggested that has displayport? Not only for native displayport but for Freesync as well. Also, dvi is slowly being phased out, would make sense to move on.

Aug 30, 2019
Unfortunately, I don't think I can return it since it needs to go back to the store with everything that was in the box already but I already threw some away. Pretty impulsive from me, shouldn't have done that. I'll go see if they sell it in a store near me (I live in a small town so I'm not sure), if they don't I'll test one of these. Just want to say HUGE thanks for helping me out so quickly!