Acer GN246HL vs ASUS VG248QE

wllmgrms

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
Asus VG248QE
Acer GN246HL

I'm looking to buy a new monitor soon. I currently rock a 6 year old 24" Asus 60hz monitor. It does the job. But ever since I built my new rig with a 980 Ti... I'm 100% sure my computer is running way faster than my monitor lol. My eyes can tell. I play CS:GO a lot, and the lag that my eyes are seeing is crazy. Moving around is blurry during quick reactions, and I can't always make out what's going on.

So if I could get a little bit of insight into these 2 monitors, that would be great. I don't want to spend over the cost of the Asus listed here... that's pretty much my high end budget. If there are newer models, or brands that are better than these 2 I have compared, please let me know. I am well versed in hardware, but not so much displays.

Thanks guys.

Solution
$60 price difference for me. But yes, having a monitor you can adjust to eye level is always nice. The vertical viewing angles on TN panels are their worst feature. If you don't mind putting the Acer on your own base or getting a new VESA mount for it, then it is a cheaper option. Or you can tilt it as shown in the photo.

ASUS also only offers digital inputs, which says the scalar is probably a little newer. Also has speakers if you care about that.

I personally like the styling of the ASUS as well. The glossy orange colored stand on the Acer doesn't match much.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
$60 price difference for me. But yes, having a monitor you can adjust to eye level is always nice. The vertical viewing angles on TN panels are their worst feature. If you don't mind putting the Acer on your own base or getting a new VESA mount for it, then it is a cheaper option. Or you can tilt it as shown in the photo.

ASUS also only offers digital inputs, which says the scalar is probably a little newer. Also has speakers if you care about that.

I personally like the styling of the ASUS as well. The glossy orange colored stand on the Acer doesn't match much.

Solution

wllmgrms

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015

The stand isn't as big of a deal as performance is for me. As a brand, I prefer Asus, they make fantastic products. The speakers don't matters as much either. I know the Acer doesn't have a display port, and the Asus does. If I've read enough, that matters with achieving higher refresh rates, or not since they both have HDMI?

The Acer currently has a $20 off promo code when you buy it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the HDMI version, but generally you would use DVI for the high refresh rate. Display port could also handle it if the revision is high enough. I was pointing out that the Acer still has a VGA connection, which is rather odd for a high end gaming monitor.

Generally when I have very specific questions I check to see if the monitor has been reviewed at tftcentral.co.uk as they go overboard.

wllmgrms

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
Thanks for the info. I actually went and bought the Asus last night. Did a bit of adjusting and found an old(er) display profile setting post from Toms for the monitor. It looks better, I think my eyes have some adjusting to do to the 144hz now. I'd like to try out a new game like Black Ops 3 or something to see how it looks. I've noticed not all of the maps on CS:GO look very good at 144hz.

All in all, I think the Asus will do great. I saw that a local best buy had it in stock and I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. Thanks man.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, there are a few more options in that price bracket now. A couple of Free Sync monitors, and a curved display from MSI.

I still think a good stand is worth it. I have a monitor that only offers tilt and I stopped using it when I would get up from my computer to find I could only see up close for up to twenty minutes. Pretty sure it was due to having pressure on my eyeballs from being forced to look down at it.

An adjustable stand lets you change your posture as well. More upright for gaming, more slouched for watching videos. And as mentioned above, TN panels do not offer great viewing angles. So they can be very useful for getting a straight look without seeing color banding or color muting/changing (Some panels go gray, others purple/green, depends on the material used to block IR/UV)

This one catches my eye: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFGTGC4/?tag=pcpapi-20

Though the ASUS is still a decent choice. I would only take the Acer as an extreme budget option (And I am sure they are relying on having the cheapest 144hz 24" panel for sales numbers)

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
yeah i bought a 60hz asus last fall thinking my pc gaming days were numbered and i've gotten back into it, but just a little. With a 1050 I am a little limited to begin with. Thinking of spending another $200 is a tough sell...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, you would want more horsepower for higher refresh rates, but there should be plenty of titles where getting above 60hz wouldn't be too hard.

If you are satisfied for now, I say hold out for GPU prices to drop. There a few enticing monitor technologies that might filter down as well.

And there is the whole G-Sync Free Sync war. Nvidia has little competition at the moment thanks to AMD GPU pricing, so they have no need try and compete. There was a very brief period where an RX580/Vega56 plus a Free Sync monitor won out over a GTX1060/GTX1070 and a G-Sync monitor.

I would like to see Nvidia open up Adaptive Sync on their budget product line up at least.

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
thanks for the advice. I noticed that acer also has a curved 144 for $10 more than the one i mentioned above. But with a 4ms response time. what the heck is up with that? lol