Question Acer Helios 300 power issue

Mar 30, 2021
Acer Helios 300 laptop has orange blinking light on the side of the laptop and AC is disconnecting and reconnecting ?

So ever since a few days ago, my Helios 300 G3-572 started being disconnected from its AC adapter and reconnecting after a few seconds. Basically the laptop would go on battery power every 20ish seconds and go back on AC power after 5-10 seconds. I tried draining the battery but the laptop turns off on 20-30% and won't turn on if I don't connect the charger and if I do that and disconnect the charger it would turn off again on 20-30% of battery.

So I decided to charge it back to 100% and connected the charger. The laptop would charge until 70-80% and then the disconnecting/reconnecting issue would return.
I decided to ignore the issue and play some games and noticed the issue wouldn't happen when I was playing and after a few hours of ignoring the issue I noticed it's not doing the disconnecting thing anymore but instead one of the lights on the side of the laptop would start blinking with orange color. This means the laptop is not charging and that is indeed the case.

The battery indicator on windows is showing that the system is plugged in but the percentage is not moving up. If I disconnect the charger and reconnect it again it would begin charging but that disconncting issue would come back until eventually it goes back to blinking orange light and not charging.

I have tried removing battery drivers, checking if button under the ram sticks is being properly clicked and resetting using battery reset pinhole. I can't calibrate my battery because it wouldn't drain to 0%.

Would appreciate any help I have owned this laptop for less than 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what BIOS version your laptop is currently on? If you have a number of updates pending(BIOS wise) hen gradually work your way to the latest. Following that, check and see what version of Windows 10 you're on. We're currently on version 20H2.

Following that, you can try reinstalling all drivers for your laptop, starting with chipset and MEI, installing them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As for your battery issue, does the laptop battery fully charge when the laptop is powered down(and made to charge) without the LED indicating otherwise? If so, then it could be either an OS issue or the BIOS issue.

Regarding the pinhole, did you press and hold the button for 30 seconds? On that note, while the pinhole button is pressed, did you also press and hold down the main power button to drain the laptop off of residual power?

How old is the laptop?

Mar 30, 2021

Can you check and see what BIOS version your laptop is currently on? If you have a number of updates pending(BIOS wise) hen gradually work your way to the latest. Following that, check and see what version of Windows 10 you're on. We're currently on version 20H2.

Following that, you can try reinstalling all drivers for your laptop, starting with chipset and MEI, installing them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As for your battery issue, does the laptop battery fully charge when the laptop is powered down(and made to charge) without the LED indicating otherwise? If so, then it could be either an OS issue or the BIOS issue.

Regarding the pinhole, did you press and hold the button for 30 seconds? On that note, while the pinhole button is pressed, did you also press and hold down the main power button to drain the laptop off of residual power?

How old is the laptop?
Thank you for your reply. Thankfully, my issue has resolved itself. I just let the laptop charge to 100% and whenever the orange light started blinking (hence not charging) I disconnected and reconnected the power cord and it started charging again. After a few hours the problem was fixed. I don't know if letting the battery drain would cause the issue to reappear or not and I'm not willing to take that risk atm because I'm super busy with my work :D.
Anyways, thank you for your time.

Mar 30, 2021

How old is the laptop?
So my issue reappeared again after I drained the battery a bit.
My BIOS is latest version. I will try to reinstall all my other drivers and get back to you with the results.

does the laptop battery fully charge when the laptop is powered down(and made to charge) without the LED indicating otherwise?

No the battery won't fully charge or even deplete. Laptop turns off at 20% battery and the blinking red light appears at 80%. The only way to charge the laptop to 100% is waiting around for the blinking red light to appear and disconnecting the charger and then reconnecting it. This way, the laptop will start to charge for a few minutes until the blinking red light appears again. I have to repeat this process until the battery is at 100%.

And yes I did try to use the pinhole method and it didn't work.
The laptop is roughly 2 years old.

TRENDING THREADS