Acer In Talks To Design, Manufacture StarVR HMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapin

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
If the FOV is wide enough and optics are able to give you peripheral focus then I fail to see the point in eye tracking.

The more choices in VR the better imo. Facebook and HTC should not be the only force pushing VR into the mainstream.

Utgardaloki76

Commendable
May 16, 2016
In a nut shell eye tracking is all about foveated rendering. Normal rendering has to render all of the image in the highest quality possible even though your eyes only pick up that quality within a very small fraction of the total rendered image. Over 90 percent of the rendering is effectively wasted following the traditional method since the computer has no way of knowing what part you are looking at meaning all has to be rendered at highest fidelity. With foveated rendering how ever the computer only renders what you are looking at using the highest fidelity while the farter away from your focus the quality drops off without you noticing it since your eyes are bad at picking up on quality outside of your eyes’ focus area. The Tobii tech technology is fast enough to track what you are looking at so that you never notice this trick in action. This saves huge amounts of computations at no real fidelity loss to the one using the HMD while at the same time making it feasible to render images at very high resolutions. That’s the idea anyway.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015

yes from a performance standpoint. but it also gives you eye tracking features lol. so games can start to program knowing this. i forget what game it was, but i remember reading they had it so if you looked away from someone you were talking to, they knew and reacted accordingly

utgardaloki

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

yes from a performance standpoint. but it also gives you eye tracking features lol. so games can start to program knowing this. i forget what game it was, but i remember reading they had it so if you looked away from someone you were talking to, they knew and reacted accordingly

That's another portion of it but the number one feature needed in VR as it is is computational efficiency and foveated rendering helps a ton with that.

But yeah, I shouldn't have said that it is "all about" foveated rendering since eye tracking obviously also helps with the social features of knowing whether someone is looking at you as well as avoiding the dead eye stare.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Any news about the software stack? Acer had previously embraced OSVR. Is that still the plan?

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
If the FOV is wide enough and optics are able to give you peripheral focus then I fail to see the point in eye tracking.

Eye tracking would be useless with the Vive or Rift because of distortion when you look off-center, but if this has clear optics to the edge, people won't turn their heads to look at things, so in menus you'll want the cursor to follow your eyes, rather than your head.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
In a nut shell eye tracking is all about foveated rendering. Normal rendering has to render all of the image in the highest quality possible even though your eyes only pick up that quality within a very small fraction of the total rendered image. Over 90 percent of the rendering is effectively wasted following the traditional method since the computer has no way of knowing what part you are looking at meaning all has to be rendered at highest fidelity. With foveated rendering how ever the computer only renders what you are looking at using the highest fidelity while the farter away from your focus the quality drops off without you noticing it since your eyes are bad at picking up on quality outside of your eyes’ focus area. The Tobii tech technology is fast enough to track what you are looking at so that you never notice this trick in action. This saves huge amounts of computations at no real fidelity loss to the one using the HMD while at the same time making it feasible to render images at very high resolutions. That’s the idea anyway.

Thanks, I was going to say that, but also: eye tracking means that other players will know which one of them you are talking to by being able to see who you are looking at.

I hope headsets will track eyebrows also, and generally the face, because facial expressions help with communication a lot more than people seem to realise.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Any news about the software stack? Acer had previously embraced OSVR. Is that still the plan?

Acer gave me a statement on that: "Yes, we will still support OSVR, we are working to support all of the major VR standards."

BlackJakSchelack

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
I agree with you 100% Jaber2. Eye tracking ability is when I consider buying a HMD but that also brings up the issue of playing against people without Eye tracking. Separate servers in multiplayer games will be needed but with the amount of losers who would rather risk being banned for cheating, from ever playing a game again, you can be sure that there would be plenty of Dinks lying to feel good about themselves.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Man, that raises so many questions...really intriguing insights, folks, thanks. This is another piece of the VR pie we'll need to be thinking about as we write about the subject.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

The more choices in VR the better imo. Facebook and HTC should not be the only force pushing VR into the mainstream.

there is an eye tracking video for the division.

Imagine this.
your gun is largely aimed with eye sight, and only adjusted in minor amounts by mouse movement.

for me this is ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.