Acer Injects Aspire One with AMD Athlon II Neo

Status
Not open for further replies.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
ya thats silly no dual core why not the k325 at least :p or how about those turion k625 :p for what 3 more watts :p wonder if the price would have differed that much...

just searched for a sec I guess if you want the dual core you have to go with something like Aspire 1551, at least good to know that they do have them :)

funny I remember someone saying netbooks will go away... forget what ceo that was im sure someone will refresh my memory :p but a lot of these are packing nice systems for daily system and maybe even light gaming

rrockman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I'm disappointed: nobody pointed to the real problem with this One. BATTERY. They don't talk about battery life. ATI graphics is not going to turn off to save battery, so the battery life of this thing is always going to be very inferior compared to Atoms. A pity.

[citation][nom]rrockman[/nom]I'm disappointed: nobody pointed to the real problem with this One. BATTERY. They don't talk about battery life. ATI graphics is not going to turn off to save battery, so the battery life of this thing is always going to be very inferior compared to Atoms. A pity.[/citation]

You mean the Atoms strapped to a chipset that requires 6x the power of the processor at one stage? ATi chipsets are actually quite efficient, and so is there low end video cards.

You want battery saver, you get something specifically for it, this is more an all round unit by the sounds of it - much better for every day usage etc.

and AMD needs to perhaps bring an old K7 design back (Athlon XP), scale that down to 45/32nm, ATi IGP chipset for it (super efficent) and dump that on the market, even at twice the TDP/Draw of an Atom it would still be fine aslong as its overall quicker, and cheap (easy seriously - this is atom were talking about)

[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Finally a netbook that uses ATIs graphics chip instead of VIA. You know what this means. A netbook you can game on. I must spread the news.[/citation]

What netbook ever used VIA chipsets?

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Actually, Acer's spec sheet for the bigger AO721 rates it at 5 hours battery life, so that's not too bad for a non atom netbook.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Also, the first Athlon Neo's based on K8 65nm (not even Phenom I arquitecture) destroy the hell out of the Atom. This one are based on Athlon II (Phenom II Arq).

Atom = garbage

[citation][nom]Nintendork[/nom]Also, the first Athlon Neo's based on K8 65nm (not even Phenom I arquitecture) destroy the hell out of the Atom. This one are based on Athlon II (Phenom II Arq).Atom = garbage[/citation]

comparing an atom to a normal processor is like comparing an IGP video card to a ATI 5970 - both do the same thing but are not competing and nothing alike in terms of market position, price, power/thermal etc - ofcourse Atom fails comparing to a processor that draws 10x the power and is literally 10x bigger

alextheblue

Distinguished
Kevin, you could have detailed the specs a little more. The K125 is a single core Athlon II derived processor clocked at 1.7Ghz. Quite decent for a single core netbook, but I agree they should have gone with a K325 1.3Ghz dual core variant for the bigger, pricier model.

The GPU is not anything amazing. It's an underclocked Radeon 3400 IGP. I hope Acer's "384MB of dedicated system memory" means that it has 384MB of dedicated GDDR memory (sideport), then it might be OK.

[citation][nom]rrockman[/nom]I'm disappointed: nobody pointed to the real problem with this One. BATTERY. They don't talk about battery life. ATI graphics is not going to turn off to save battery, so the battery life of this thing is always going to be very inferior compared to Atoms. A pity.[/citation]*snort*
You do realize this GPU is an IGP right? Not a dedicated GPU that you can disable? Also, even though it is no rocket, is faster and more power efficient than Intel's netbook graphics solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.