Acer Intros 7-inch Iconia B1 Android Tablet For Under $150

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Broke![/citation]
Fixed!

Anyway, this is pretty fantastic. Very competitively priced and cheap enough that it isn't a huge burden to buy the whole family one so they don't have to come into my room while I'm sleeping.

Seriously Acer, good job.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]There's a difference between inexpensive and cheap. I'd rather save up an extra fifty bucks and get the Nexus 7.[/citation]

Nexus 7 here is $300 for lowest-end model.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
The Nexus 7 struggles to run Android smoothly enough at times so a device like this with lesser specs is definitely going to struggle. Lets hope Google get their finger out and keep optimising the OS to iOS levels before adding shed loads of new features. At times my Nexus 7 is so slow its practically unusable, even desktop scrolling with no apps running can crawl... So much for project butter!

Creepintom

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Your post is laughable at best.

My nexus 7 is plenty fast and extremely smooth.

Besides, even if there was "desktop scrolling" lag, who in their right mind has nothing better to do than sit on their tablets desktop all day just scrolling back and forth staring at the screen to see if it lags so you can go off on it rooting about how much better your friends I pad 2 is.

I have 3 different emulators that run perfectly. Even watching .avi or .mkv movies online is a cinch.

By the way, the only reason the iOS desktop runs as smooth as you claim, is because that is one of the key things they designed, since you know all them brain dead zombies are going to just be sitting in their home screen sliding back and forth not understanding how to use the tablet. So yes I can understand why iOS would want to hammer out any glitches. ROFL.

Creepintom

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
On that note, I just tested your "theory" of scroll lag, sat here for a good minute sliding the screen as fast and as slow as I could yet not even a hint of lag.

Posted on my Nexus 7

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
why not get rid of the front facing camera and use that money to get an extra 512MB of RAM?

The problem with the nexus 7 and lagging is because of the lower quality NAND used. Android does not have any garbage collection or TRIM so after a while the flash cells get used up and write speeds take a 50-60% performance hit.

512MB is the bare minimum for android 4.x and at that point, there is only around 100-150MB of usable memory left over after the OS takes it's share.

Furthermore, even with 1GB the OS will frequently swap data between the NAND and RAM and that causes the slow you experience after a while of not rebooting the device. That is why you are starting to see more devices coming out with 2GB of RAM, it allows you to run more apps at one time (without android auto closing them) and it helps prevent the issue of android slowing a lot after a few days to a week+ of frequent use with no rebooting.

hapotter1000

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Next week the Novo 7 VENUS launchs -- a 7 inch tablet with QUAD CORE processor for only $149 at a site called TabletSprint -- made by Ainol Electronics, which won "runner up" status last year as "Best Tablet of the Year" at CES 2012.

This new tablet runs on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS and offers a high resolution 1280x800 IPS screen, 8GB memory, a 4000 mAH battery, front and rear cameras, a MicroSD memory card slot with unlimited storage, Google Play with access to 400K+ Apps, a MicroUSB port for connection to printers and other electronic devices, HDMI - to view personal videos and to download movies and watch in full 1080p (HD) on to a large screen TV, WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, and an option for 3G/4G connection.

TabletSprint includes $25 in Bonus Apps with all tablets available through their site; and also bundles in free 3G/4G wireless service, with a free 3G/4G USB adapter and 500MB of free data every month with full internet access & VoIP voice calling --

Creepintom

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Lets see, my n7 has been running for 8+ days without any "lag" (note that my n7 is fully rooted and I kill any apps I dont need running.)

Owning and Reading about something are totally different mainly due to errors in the users input/data.

I could have done with the original Memo 370T from ASUS that was going to release before google came along with the N7 idea, sadly they did not so I went with googles incarnation of the M370T.

Still, an excellent device that is pocket friendly and I am still trying to find a way to make it crawl :)

klarkmdb

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
My Acer Iconia A110 is fast and smooth with a quad core processor and 4.1 Jelly Bean Android OS with all the additional features, can't go wrong with it. I love this little piece of hardware.

MatthiasB

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
[citation][nom]hapotter1000[/nom]Next week the Novo 7 VENUS launchs -- a 7 inch tablet with QUAD CORE processor for only $149 at a site called TabletSprint -- made by Ainol Electronics, which won "runner up" status last year as "Best Tablet of the Year" at CES 2012. This new tablet runs on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS and offers a high resolution 1280x800 IPS screen, 8GB memory, a 4000 mAH battery, front and rear cameras, a MicroSD memory card slot with unlimited storage, Google Play with access to 400K+ Apps, a MicroUSB port for connection to printers and other electronic devices, HDMI - to view personal videos and to download movies and watch in full 1080p (HD) on to a large screen TV, WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, and an option for 3G/4G connection. TabletSprint includes $25 in Bonus Apps with all tablets available through their site; and also bundles in free 3G/4G wireless service, with a free 3G/4G USB adapter and 500MB of free data every month with full internet access & VoIP voice calling --[/citation]
The only problem is that Ainols devices have never been officially supported by Google Play. Also the new quad core ATM7029 they use is a joke - yes it is quad core but it also has Vivante GC1000 as GPU which is old, weak and not supported by many games. Not to mention those things come with no warranty.

G

I think i made a good deal buying this anyway. Would like slightly better battery life and perhaps more than 8gb disc but for the price it's perfct for my purposes; www,email, bank/invoice payment and some gaming.

snapper69

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Acer=Garbage=garbage. I have an Acer 24 inch monitor which is excellent. We have an Acer computer at work which is also excellent. I have just bought a 16Gb version of the B1 for my wife, to save her lugging her ipad 3 about and she loves it. When I left for work this morning she was using the Acer and her ipad was on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.