Acer Ipimb-ar MOBO GPU(s) compatibility

Jaycee95

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Hello guys,

I am planning to upgrade my GPU to Sapphire R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 OC DUAL-X Boost. I'm just curious if my mobo is compatible with the GPU. I'm being paranoid because there are some problems that i found in the web regarding GTX 760 compatibility with ACER IPIMB-AR mobo I think its regarding the bios. I'm not that familiar with the bios in particular soo.. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Build specs:

Mobo: Acer IPMBR-AR
CPU: Intel core i5.3450.3.1G.6M.IVY.BRIDGE
PSU: FSP Raider 650W
RAM: Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 8GB(4GBx2) 1333Mhz
Current GPU: Nvidia GT 620

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. p01-A1, 3/12/2012

Dangshnizzle

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I am having that same problem a little too late to prevent it without more money being spent lol. So the deal is that I'm almost certain you have the store bought Gateway DX model and because of this, gateway puts a lock of sorts on the bios making all these graphics cards useless... They do so to avoid warranty abuse. I have not yet looked into contacting gateway about it, because they might have a way to bypass if you like sign something having to do with the warranty, but the most straightforward fix is the get a new motherboard. It can be the exact same motherboard just with a different flash rom chip (with a different bios). I'm not sure how realistic it is, but I want to do some reasearch into only getting a new flash rom chip. Seems hard to replace, let alone find online to buy... Well gooluck to anyone else with this problem
Oh and IT IS NOT ONLY LIMITED TO GATEWAY. MANY LOCK THE BIOS!