Acer Laptop Black Screen after installing Graphics Driver

rajvsrp95

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Hi, I recently installed MSI Afterburner on my laptop and changed the Memory Clock from ~800MHz to ~400MHz (Hoping to enhance gaming performace).
The system froze and I restarted, I could see the boot screen but screen went black after loading (when the login page is supposed to show up).
Windows Startup Repair couldnt fix it.
I reinstalled the OS and later installed the graphics card driver then the screen went black.
As long as i don't install the graphics card driver it works fine.
My question is did I ruin my graphics card or is there any way to fix this like removing the graphics card from mother board so that the settings reset.

Laptop details:
Acer Aspire E5-551G
AMD A10-7300 Quad-Core
Radeon R7 M265 (2GB)
10GB RAM (8+2)

bailojustin

Distinguished
You should never attempt to OC a onboard card in a laptop.

Also what you did would result in the complete opposite of improved performance, you HALVED your cards memory clock. which would destroy performance.

UNINSTALL MSI AFTERBURNER in SAFE MODE.
attempt to use your computer, it should be fine as MSI is the program applying overclocks, or in your case underclocks at startup.

If its not, the last thing I could recommend is reseting the bios by pulling out the cmos battery and cleaning the CMOS.

rajvsrp95

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017

Thanks for the reply...
I reinstalled the OS when that happened so MSI wasn't there anymore.
I removed cmos battery and the problem persists i.e. when I'm installing drivers (Catalyst Control) the screen normally blinks and goes completely black... Do you think I ruined my GPU(hardware component)? I mean to ask does it need to be replaced or can it be fixed