Question Acer Laptop Won't Boot From Any Drive But The Original

Feb 12, 2021
After months and months of frustration, I've finally decided to turn to this forum so that I can get some help. I have an Acer E5-575-33BM running Windows 10 on a 1TB hard drive, my problem is that I've trying to migrate my system on to my new 250GB SSD with no luck.

I've tried cloning (and reformatting the partitions so that they fit), I've tried a fresh installation of Windows 10 onto the SSD but the laptop just refuses to boot correctly. In both scenarios, the laptop will boot into the blue screen of death with Windows declaring something is wrong. I know for a fact that the SSD works because I tried to install Windows 10 on it through my desktop PC and it went fine, however after transferring the SSD back to the laptop I got the same Windows error message (and yes, I did disconnect my original boot drive from my PC when installing Windows 10 onto the new SSD to prevent any recovery partitions from going on the wrong drive).

After countless reinstallations and clones, I'm stumped. Any ideas?

D

Deleted member 14196

You can’t load windows on a separate PC and expected to boot on a laptop you need to install windows When the SSD is inside the laptop with no other drives connected

Feb 12, 2021
You can’t load windows on a separate PC and expected to boot on a laptop you need to install windows When the SSD is inside the laptop with no other drives connected
You can actually, it’s not like drivers were installed or windows installations are specific to the computer when they’re fresh installs, besides, I already did the fresh install on the laptop with no other drives attached and still received the same problem. That was the first thing I did.

USAFRet

Titan
You can actually, it’s not like drivers were installed or windows installations are specific to the computer when they’re fresh installs, besides, I already did the fresh install on the laptop with no other drives attached and still received the same problem. That was the first thing I did.
Installing the OS in one system, and then moving that drive to a different system...often fails.

Feb 12, 2021
Very true...just wanted to clear up that point.

Possibly one of the RAM sticks is faulty?
If the ram stick was faulty the machine wouldn’t be able to boot up on the original hard drive correct? Because if that’s true then I don’t believe it’s the ram because it runs just fine on the original hard drive, well, as fine as a laptop using a hard drive anyways.

USAFRet

Titan
If the ram stick was faulty the machine wouldn’t be able to boot up on the original hard drive correct? Because if that’s true then I don’t believe it’s the ram because it runs just fine on the original hard drive, well, as fine as a laptop using a hard drive anyways.
Was just putting it out there as a possible option.

What are the two drives involved here?

USAFRet

Titan
During the install process on the SSD, you're deleting ALL existing partitions and continuing with a blank drive?

Feb 12, 2021
During the install process on the SSD, you're deleting ALL existing partitions and continuing with a blank drive?

Correct

Feb 12, 2021
Have you turned off windows secure boot in the bios? I had a dell that would not clone the drive until i turned that off, then it would boot from the cloned drive.
When cloning I connected the original HDD and new ssd to an external connector and connected it to my PC. Afterwards I believe I did disable secure boot after the first failed attempt and I still received lack luster results.