Acer Launches 28-inch 4K2K Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheRed

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
@PlatinumEra, even if our dollar was par with the USD, the monitor would still be more expensive in Canada.
Further to ship + less supply + more expensive overhead = higher price

EricTheRed

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
@PlatinumEra, even if our dollar was par with the USD, the monitor would still be more expensive in Canada.

battletoad_boy

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Zzzzzz....Wake me up when Acer has something new to say about their XB280HK 4K G-sync monitor. It was supposed to come out within Q2 2014, but it still has no announced price or release date.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
And the US price is without tax.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Too expensive when you can get a Seiki 4k display for $340's that's also got a TV tuner to boot built in. This Acer display also lacks to mention it's refresh rate which is suspicious or at least concerning.

These 4k displays are going to be cheap in another year or two anyway. Nvidia came up with a innovative way to stack 2 1080p displays essentially and turn them into 4k displays very cheaply. This artificial price fixing of 4k displays is going to drop out of sight in like 3 years max and everyone will have them for like $200-$250's that wants one.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
There are usually differences between TVs and computer monitors that can drive someone not to get the cheapest 4k panel on the market. Right off the bat there are two big ones - the Seiki panel is 39", which gives it 89 PPI which is lower than most desktop panels right now. Additionally, 39" is way huge for a desk, and a lot of people (myself included) are uncomfortable with sustained reading from 4'+ view distances to be able to keep such a monster screen in view.

Second, the response times on most TVs are atrocious for real time interactivity such as with a computer. The panel on newegg doesn't specify its response time, but most tvs are usually 20ms+ at best, whereas a good TN panel should be below 8ms, and for something top end and expensive like this 2 - 5ms. I notice the difference, at least.

That is before the deal breaker of 30hz on the Seikii, of course.

I do agree that this is all a price ringaround of fixing, and in two years and with more competition the entry level 4k market will fall through the floor like SSDs did in 2011-2012.

Ytyoussef

Distinguished

That's not what he said, he said that 3840 x 2160 is the industry standard for 4K resolution, and he is not exactly right about that. The standard for consumer 4K is indeed 3840 x 2160 but industry standard is 4096 x 2160 which is 19:10, so not exactly optimal for everyday use.

kumouri

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
There are usually differences between TVs and computer monitors that can drive someone not to get the cheapest 4k panel on the market. Right off the bat there are two big ones - the Seiki panel is 39", which gives it 89 PPI which is lower than most desktop panels right now.
It's actually 127 PPI, which is better than 2160 x 1440 27".

Additionally, 39" is way huge for a desk, and a lot of people (myself included) are uncomfortable with sustained reading from 4'+ view distances to be able to keep such a monster screen in view.
I have one of these monitors and I basically use it as if it were 2 screens next to each other, or maybe even 3. I only look at 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen at a time, which makes the whole experience comfortable. It's extremely nice to have my coding window on the left third with my design doc in the middle third, I just look a little to the right and I can check my design doc and move a little more and I can see whatever references/research I might also have up. You don't need to see the whole screen at once.

Second, the response times on most TVs are atrocious for real time interactivity such as with a computer. The panel on newegg doesn't specify its response time, but most tvs are usually 20ms+ at best, whereas a good TN panel should be below 8ms, and for something top end and expensive like this 2 - 5ms. I notice the difference, at least.

That is before the deal breaker of 30hz on the Seikii, of course.
Without a doubt this is true. Whenever I use it I have to readjust to the mouse almost bouncing around the screen. I hate it and can't wait to get 60Hz. But, you can be pretty sure that this monitor is also 30Hz because they don't mention a refresh rate on their website.

I do agree that this is all a price ringaround of fixing, and in two years and with more competition the entry level 4k market will fall through the floor like SSDs did in 2011-2012.

Here's hoping!

Status
Not open for further replies.