Acer Launches "World's Thinnest" Ultrabook

Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Imagine all the hype if this laptop had been put out by iCrap. Thank God it was not, cause I am not that interested in thin useless laptops, or useless retina displays manufactured by Samsung for Apple.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Imagine all the hype if this laptop had been put out by iCrap. Thank God it was not, cause I am not that interested in thin useless laptops, or useless retina displays manufactured by Samsung for Apple.[/citation]

LOL, imagine if this laptop was better than last generation's iCrap... Matching specs for $100 cheaper doesn't make people write headlines.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Why oh why do they use a 16:9 display on a 13" laptop?
Some engineer needs to be stoned to death for that.

$100 cheaper than a similarly specced MacBook Air.
This has a slightly faster processor, is a 10th of an inch thinner and 130grams lighter, the MacBook has a better display and better battery life.... I'd personally buy a MacBook Air.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]yeah Retina display sucks, i mean, who the hell wants a 2800x1800 IPS panel in their laptops[/citation]

Them's fightin' words!!!!

Just wait a year, when Dell and Toshiba put out one for $100 cheaper!!!

/sarcasm :)

slayerz636

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
almost trade my prized 2011 mbp for it, but ive found osx sooo much more light weight than windows. yes I do like windows as well. i build computers for a living, and they use a mix of windows linux and hackintosh. all im saying is have a very open mind and try diffrent flavors of ice cream once and a while for gods sake! dont shut something out just cause itz diffrent. apple and msft can live in sync together in this world. ive never seen people troll so much as apple haters do; msft haters do the same things. check out S1AY3R COMPUTERZ once in a while if you like varaity.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
The neat thing about the new MBP with their high resolution screen. And that is all it is, a very nice high res display. that is all one piece fuzed. So just throw your shit in the trash and go buy a new one.

Retna display, what BS. I think it is funny that all the Apple lovers and haters compared the likes of 4S vs the Galaxy 2. back then it was the 3.5 inch Retna display Huray Huray Hurra. The Galaxy 2 doesn't have a Retna display they said. But they it does it seems, because acording to apple the 210ppi on the new MBP is a Retna. So what gives, this is a company that just lies and decieves everybody that drinks the Koolaid and they call it clever marketing.

NEW. Mac pro still only comes equiped with a MAX of two AMD 5770 GPUs. What a Hoax, they need to be sued for calling those gfx cards ... Faster than a speeding anything. right from their page on the Mac Pro. GPUs that are so old they are in the $500 PC I build my brother better than three years ago.

Fail Company. Just spin it till that shit has a shine then sell it as a Mac product.

End Rant, my apologies. -CB

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
The HD and Ram are soldiered onto the logic board of that new MBP as well, so if you need more storage better configure it that way now while they're gouging you with a premium price for their SSDs. Don't worry they are only two generations behind current SSD technology. -CB

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Appears they have gotten rid of picture posting.Anyways, the picture was: NOPE.AVI![/citation]

Since when have .avi files been images?!?!?!!?!??!

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I think I said this before: As long as the intel cpu prices are through the roof, the UB will always be as pricy as an MacB. I other words: marketing fail! Also, the use of SSD doesn't help at the price tag.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]neoverdugo[/nom]I think I said this before: As long as the intel cpu prices are through the roof, the UB will always be as pricy as an MacB. I other words: marketing fail! Also, the use of SSD doesn't help at the price tag.[/citation]
The use of SSD will increase battery life and speed, and reduce heat and noise. You don't need vast amounts of storage space as this is a portable device, surely you will long term store the bulk of your files on NAS, PC etc and have links via the Cloud. My main file server has remote access via Skydrive in case I need something when I am out and about.
It is much more preferable to me to be able to have a laptop that is fast, quiet and stays on for a long time, rather that one that has all my files but is hot, noisy and switches off after 2 hours.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Don't care for anything "thin". If the battery is crap or not, along with the keyboard (I hate small keyboards), that's what will appeal to me. Don't see that happening, though. My desktop keyboard by itself is probably thicker overall (most likely) than an ultra thin book.

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]The use of SSD will increase battery life and speed, and reduce heat and noise. You don't need vast amounts of storage space as this is a portable device, surely you will long term store the bulk of your files on NAS, PC etc and have links via the Cloud. My main file server has remote access via Skydrive in case I need something when I am out and about....It is much more preferable to me to be able to have a laptop that is fast, quiet and stays on for a long time, rather that one that has all my files but is hot, noisy and switches off after 2 hours.[/citation]
Of course the SSD are SOOO MUCH BETTER THAN TYPICAL HDDS. I was referring to its price tags (noob), intel wants a cheap laptop while keeping its cpus original price which I call that an insane stunt. All laptop makers can't drop their flavor of UB below 500, no matter what tweaks they make so Either the CPUS or SSDs drop it, or the UB=Macbook in $.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
As much as I hate to say it, I'd buy the new MBP just for the display. This is a neat laptop and all, but insanely high resolution is a big selling point for me.
Seeing as I spent a thousand dollars for my EyeFinity setup, I'd gladly pay the extra for higher resolution displays (whether for desktop or laptop).

As for Acer, I will never buy from their consumer line again due to the low build quality, but I would consider their business line of laptops.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I just don't get how they're managing heating. The S3 has heating issues, that's with a dual core ivy ulv i5 at 1.7 GHz, with HD4000 pinned at 350 MHz. And this is even thinner with a higher clocked i7. The i5 was hitting 75*C during a transcode that had the IGP at 75% and all 4 threads at around 80% avg.

Anyway, the S3 i mentioned can't play Halo CE maxed out at 1366x768. Hope the S5 can...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS