Acer Launching AMD-based Aspire One Netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]I do like the hardware specs but... (thumb me down for it if you wish).. it remains an acer... and I have bad experience with them... sorry, but I won't be buying this.[/citation]

same. had a new laptop from them fail in just few months. other brands (Lenovo and Toshiba) have decent to very good builds that still lasting even today.

bliq

Distinguished
[citation][nom]NegativeX[/nom]"the netbook should achieve HD video playback of 720p at the very least."All the while you can get an ION Netbook that does 1080p, smoothly...PASS[/citation]

HD4200 series video from AMD is about equivalent to the 9300 used by ION. So 1080p should be fine and smooth, but they're hedging their bets. By the way, ION, in my experience isn't smooth unless you're playing BluRay. once you're doing quicktime or hd web content, forget it. you need more CPU horsepower than an atom can provide. Maybe this AMD has more raw processing power?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]NegativeX[/nom]"the netbook should achieve HD video playback of 720p at the very least."All the while you can get an ION Netbook that does 1080p, smoothly...PASS[/citation]

They said at the very least. Don't blow a vein, I mean, the official specs haven't been released yet.

I have no doubt this chipset/CPU combo will easily support 1080P (384MB dedicated memory for chrissake!). The article only says 720P because traditional 10.1" screens only support 720P. Video-output could be higher assuming they get the drivers/software setup correctly.

Besides, most IONs are attached to an Atom, and I'm guessing this processor will be more powerful than Atom (that, or AMD really dropped the ball on this one).

jimkiler

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
My MSI with AMD NEO 1.6Ghz and ATI 1250 graphics can already display 720p HD video trailers in quicktime format. This should be able to do 1080p assuming the slower CPU is not an issue. MSI gives me a nice 12 inch 1366x768 screen and I love it.

G

I am typing at an Aspire One 8.9" at the moment. The Atom, whilst sufficient, represents the lower limit of power for 'acceptable' use. And it is acceptable for it's intended purpose (but that is another argument). I believe below this would be frustrating, however a boot in graphics would be very welcome!

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]I do like the hardware specs but... (thumb me down for it if you wish).. it remains an acer... and I have bad experience with them... sorry, but I won't be buying this.[/citation]

Certainly won't rank you down for an honest opinion, but I will say it's not one I share. I've purchased 10+ Acer laptops over the years and have never had a problem one. All have had great reliability. I have noticed 1 issue with them though and that would be that the hinge area has cracked on 2 of them after several years of heavy use. This however hasn't been a hindrance of any kind yet as they're just cracks.

I for one am a fan of Acer for their "bang for your buck" appeal.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]NegativeX[/nom]"the netbook should achieve HD video playback of 720p at the very least."All the while you can get an ION Netbook that does 1080p, smoothly...PASS[/citation]Yeah, but rather than basing your decision on speculation, maybe you should actually see it in action first? But no, that would be smart...

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
It's been the opposite with me, I have bought 4 refurb Acer laptops in last 3 years for family members (one mine), all are running perfectly with no problems at all. My brother also has an Acer desktop which is around 4 years old also running perfectly.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
AMD has a lot of low power chips out there but they don't get the same branding as Atom which people assume is the elite netbook/nettop chip, but in reality a lot of the AMD processors are just as well off. And the fact that there is HD4000 series graphics in there is great especially for a netbook.

I am pleased.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I'll suspend judgment on this particular product until it's been bench-marked and tested. Though the specs are quite promising, you'll never know how will it perform unless you tried it.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

Actually, it doesn't. At all.

I just sold my ASUS EB1501 Nettop machine, which featured a Dual-Core 330, the ION chipset and video, and an upgraded SSD for hard drive.

It struggled IMMENSELY to keep up with 720p let alone 1080p.

Don't be fooled by ION/INTEL combinations, they aren't all they are cracked up to be, and that is coming from an owner.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Owned 2 Acer laptops with no problems at all.
1. Acer Extensa 14.1" with a 2.13 dual core.
2. The one I am typing this with right now a 13.3" Acer Timeline.
Both ran Ubuntu instead of Windows.

A 10" screen is just too small, 13" is the sweet spot if you ask me.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Phate[/nom]Ubuntu?[/citation]
If you see it at a Best Buy take in your own external DVD drive and politely ask them to allow you to run Ubuntu live on it with out installing. Most of the computer guys at Best Buy (at least my local one) are pretty savoy about Linux and will let you.

mouettus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
1.2ghz single core?!

man we're going back to ice age!

I was using an Aspire One with Atom 1.6ghz and 1gb of ram running XP and it was painfully slow!

cold fire

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

My TravelMate has been kicking a$$ for 3 years and a half and it's been through hell as I always try to stress my stuff and use them to their extent.
only problem I had so far was a failed hdd and that was replaced under the warranty ^_^

bliq

Distinguished
[citation][nom]NegativeX[/nom]Good to know, hope they update the article, but I doubt it. I have a Dual Core Atom 330 w/ ION HTPC @ home and I can play 1080p video all day smoothly btw... either from BluRay or downloaded. As for flash based 1080p content, just make sure you have Flash 10.1 beta installed to benefit from GPU acceleration.Not sure how the single cores fair tho...[/citation]

That's interesting. I thought about going with Atom330/ION motherboard but they were just too expensive for my "spae change project". my experience has been that with a single core Celeron 430, which benches about 50% higher than the Atom 330 on single threaded video benchmarks that bluray playback was consistently about 25-30% CPU but that mkv/m4v files and hulu HD took the CPU to 60+ % with spikes to 100, which is when the video would get choppy or stop. This is with a zotac 9300ITX motherboard and flash 10.1, plus latest nvidia drivers.

I finally went with a E3300 dual core and while quicktime and huluHD still keep the CPU about 40% with spikes to 60, there's no more stuttering. BluRay is down to aobut 10-15% CPU. This combo (mobo w/ 9300 and E3300) cost me about $90 or so, by surfing the forums and ebay. Most of the atom/ion stuff was about $140-180.

G

I've read about a lot of bad experiences with Acer's laptops. I think I'll be staying clear of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.