Acer LED says "no signal" If turned off/on

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hello! I bought an Acer 21.5" LCD LED backlight monitor for a new pc I'm building. I haven't gotten all the parts for it in though, so while I'm waiting for them to ship, I thought I would test the monitor out on a pretty old rig I built ages ago. Here is where the first weird thing happens. If I turn the pc itself on first, and then the monitor, the monitor displays a "no signal" message, and then goes into idle/standby. If I turn the monitor on and THEN the pc, everything goes smoothly and Windows displays etc. The manual for the LCD states to turn the monitor on first and then the PC, but I really do not think this should happen should it?

Second weird thing: If I have windows on and the monitor on and everything is all happy and dandy but then if I turn the monitor off for whatever reason, and then turn it back on, the monitor displays the "no signal" message, and the only way I have found to make that go away is to reboot the pc. Do you guys have any thoughts? I am hoping that it's my desktop and not my pc. The desktop is running an OLD ati 9800 pro via a DVI connection. If my memory serves me right, it does the same thing when I hook it up to my 32" Vizio TV, and possibly even an old CRT I have. I will test them both and see what happens, but do you guys have any thoughts? It's honestly a really nice monitor, best I've ever had, and I had to have it be faulty and RMA it :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009261

Wait a second here. The manual states turn on monitor and then the PC, and you said that when you do that it works. When you don't do that, it does not work.

I don't see an issue here. Follow the instructions.

Second issue, that should not work this way, but once again, who knows how the card and PC work with the signal. There is no issue with the monitor itself you already showed that by saying the same thing happens with the TV, so why worry about the monitor.

It should work the other way, maybe, depending on how the video card and PC work with the monitor signal it sees or does not see. If the computer does not detect the monitor at boot-up who knows what it will do. I do know my much newer PC and video card work fine if you turn off the monitor and back on, but that's not your system setup so can't really go by that.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I did follow the instructions, and I indicated that, but I know for a fact that monitors should refresh the signal if they are turned off and on instead of sitting there with no signal, which is why I posted...

I was asking to see if anyone had ever had this problem or knew of a solution. Also, the TV may not do the same thing, I thought I remembered it doing that, am not sure though. I need to test it out.

It does not seem to be what the monitor is doing but what the video card is doing. It does not seem to see the monitor attached. Otherwise a reboot will do nothing. You reboot, the video card resets itself, at boot it sees the monitor. If it was a monitor issue, how would a reboot of the PC fix it? Can't, so issue points to the video card.

See what happens with the new system.

Latest posts