Acer monitor turns black keeps video signal

infirnum

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Ok so the title basically says it all. Recently with no apparent cause my monitor starts turning to black while keeping a blue video signal light. All other processes on the computer continue to run normally, ie state of decay still is running without locking up. I had trouble with this for a day left it came back booted in safe mode no problems turned off some boot up processes and services and now I am able to type you this from that computer and monitor with no glitches so far *knocks on wood*. Well when I was having the issues I couldn't boot the computer in anything other than safe mode, bios ran smoothly. Then it shut off while in safe mode, that's when I left it alone. The only other monitor I have to plug the computer in is an old CRT monitor which says out of frequency.

Other thoughts:
G card: AMD Athlon 5770 approx 4 years old was oc to Core clock 950 (from 850) and memory clock to 1304 (from 1200) with no issues till today

Monitor is Acer native resolution 1280x1024 60-75 hrtz.

Today I stopped the oc and put the g card at native specs. Other than that I have no idea why it suddenly started working again.

Thanks for the help and in short does the community think it's a G card issue or a monitor one?

Solution
Ah, correction! Turning the monitor off and back on didn't solve the issue--unplugging and plugging the hdmi cable back in fixed it. Maybe it's an issue with the cable?

Selphious

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
My new Acer 24" has this same issue. The blue power button remains on, but the displays goes off for 1 - 5 seconds. And the latest time it happened, there were some serious pixel issues after the display returned. There were strange red pixels that seemed to be in some sort of pattern, but they went away when I actually turned the monitor off and back on.

Would love some help with this. Is it a gfx card issue? Here's my build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2jYFW

Selphious

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Ah, correction! Turning the monitor off and back on didn't solve the issue--unplugging and plugging the hdmi cable back in fixed it. Maybe it's an issue with the cable?

Solution

infirnum

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Sometimes turing off my monitor would work then it would just die again shortly after turning it back on. Haven't had any other problems since then knock on wood.