Question Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 | CPU throttle 2.0Ghz when reaching 75 Celsius | AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2020
Hello,

Im using Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 v1.17 BIOS update, with Ryzen 5 2500u RX 560X 4GB, 12 GB DDR4, SSD+HDD, Windows 10 PRO.
I have proper up to date AMD Chipset drivers and Adrenaline 2020 GPU driver.

Im getting issues with my CPU. Whenever CPU reaches 75 Celsius it will downclock to 2.00Ghz (base clock) even tho it can easly handle 95+ Celsius.
Boost clock (3+GHz) gets back as soon as it drops down a bit (usually in few seconds)

This bothers me because I get stuttering ingame because of this throttling for no reason. 75 Celsius is a joke for this CPU.

I've tried to repaste both GPU and CPU. I've used RyzenADJ and Ryzen Controller (Unofficial Ryzen Master overclock tool) but those programs cannot remove this 75 Celsius thermal restriction for some reason.

Is there any way to report this to ACER or increase max temperature to atleast 85 Celsius?
I assume a BIOS update would fix this.

Thanks!
Best regards.

May 16, 2020
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to let you know I probably will no longer reply or update this thread.

The reason is I sold my Acer Nitro 5 and bought the new Lenovo Legion 5 - that was the best fix for this issue.

In case anyone wants a workaround for Nitro 5 CPU throttle issue, user @P25ani from Acer Community Forums explained how undervolting GPU and limiting CPU TDP can "fix" this issue. Link to a full Acer forums thread is above.

Have a good day everyone.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to let you know I will no longer reply or update this thread.

The reason is I sold my Acer Nitro 5 and bought the new Lenovo Legion 5 - that was the best fix for this issue.

In case anyone wants a workaround for Nitro 5 CPU throttle issue, user @P25ani at Acer Community Forums explained how undervolting GPU and limiting CPU TDP can "fix" this issue. Link to a full Acer forums thread is above.

Have a good day everyone.
It didn't work sadly. I hope undervolting the GPU and limiting the TDP can stop it form throttling. Do you have the link still (I don't see it in this thread)? Happy gaming on your new legion btw :)!

Reactions: 1337Braz
May 16, 2020
It didn't work sadly. I hope undervolting the GPU and limiting the TDP can stop it form throttling. Do you have the link still (I don't see it in this thread)? Happy gaming on your new legion btw :)!
Btw let everyone know here if your issue is "fixed", so we can hopefully push this fix to more Acer Nitro 5 users.

Maybe add a comment on Acer Forums too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.