Question Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 | CPU throttle 2.0Ghz when reaching 75 Celsius | AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2020
Hello,

Im using Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 v1.17 BIOS update, with Ryzen 5 2500u RX 560X 4GB, 12 GB DDR4, SSD+HDD, Windows 10 PRO.
I have proper up to date AMD Chipset drivers and Adrenaline 2020 GPU driver.

Im getting issues with my CPU. Whenever CPU reaches 75 Celsius it will downclock to 2.00Ghz (base clock) even tho it can easly handle 95+ Celsius.
Boost clock (3+GHz) gets back as soon as it drops down a bit (usually in few seconds)

This bothers me because I get stuttering ingame because of this throttling for no reason. 75 Celsius is a joke for this CPU.

I've tried to repaste both GPU and CPU. I've used RyzenADJ and Ryzen Controller (Unofficial Ryzen Master overclock tool) but those programs cannot remove this 75 Celsius thermal restriction for some reason.

Is there any way to report this to ACER or increase max temperature to atleast 85 Celsius?
I assume a BIOS update would fix this.

Thanks!
Best regards.

Sep 30, 2020
Sadly no. I doubt this can be fixed.
Maybe with custom BIOS flash.

We gotta live with this issue.
Would you know how to get ahold of a custom BIOS flash? I'm thinking of downgrading the BIOS to v1.08 or something and see if that works. And would sending the laptop to an acer repair center do anything? Or would they just say some scripted answer like "turn on coolboost" like in your case?
Also thanks for replying! You're the first person in 11 months to give me an actual answer for my poor performance.

May 16, 2020
Would you know how to get ahold of a custom BIOS flash? I'm thinking of downgrading the BIOS to v1.08 or something and see if that works. And would sending the laptop to an acer repair center do anything? Or would they just say some scripted answer like "turn on coolboost" like in your case?
Also thanks for replying! You're the first person in 11 months to give me an actual answer for my poor performance.
Its not easy to do custom BIOS flash on this laptop but it is possible, check YouTube tutorial if you wish to do that.

Also you cannot downgrade BIOS on this laptop and prolly that wont change anything even if you do.

Yeah Acer Service will just give scripted answers lol

Reactions: sobordinates
Sep 30, 2020
Alright I'll try that, thanks man! I'm just super annoyed because this is my first laptop (and first gaming laptop, and first personal device (and my first time getting into gaming stuff)), and I have to go through thousands of websites to find a way to comfortably play a game at 60 FPS. It sucks even more that it's not running at the best it can. But at least next time I'll know to buy a PC

Reactions: 1337Braz
May 16, 2020
Alright I'll try that, thanks man! I'm just super annoyed because this is my first laptop (and first gaming laptop, and first personal device (and my first time getting into gaming stuff)), and I have to go through thousands of websites to find a way to comfortably play a game at 60 FPS. It sucks even more that it's not running at the best it can. But at least next time I'll know to buy a PC
Yeah a PC or a laptop with "H" series CPU.

Sep 30, 2020
Cool. Also, what would I need to search up on Youtube to flash the BIOS? And what does this really mean? Do I just run a software to flash the BIOS and boom the throttling is gone?

May 16, 2020
OK that looks super complicated and dangerous lol. I have no idea what I'm doing so I'll just stick to the poor performance. Thanks for trying to help!
I mean I learned how to live with it haha.

Its not that bad performance but still this CPU could be better without that thermal restriction.
Next time we should just get an "H" series CPU...

Sep 30, 2020
I dont recall but I think problem was there even with stock BIOS... Updates only improved performance a bit.
Really? I just downgraded from v1.18 to v1.08 and the performance has increased a tiny bit. Still seeing the 2.00 Ghz thermal throttling though. But I don't know if this does anything but I updated to v1.18 using the windows device manager update method (not on the official Acer page), so that might be a cause for concern. Should I properly update back to v1.18 or stick to the stock one?

May 16, 2020
Really? I just downgraded from v1.18 to v1.08 and the performance has increased a tiny bit. Still seeing the 2.00 Ghz thermal throttling though. But I don't know if this does anything but I updated to v1.18 using the windows device manager update method (not on the official Acer page), so that might be a cause for concern. Should I properly update back to v1.18 or stick to the stock one?
Which method did you use to downgrade?

I have no other issues with 1.18 so Im using that one.

Sep 30, 2020

I downloaded v1.08 from the acer website and modified the platform.ini file so that I could bypass the "the version of rom file is not newer than bios." And then I stopped windows updates so that it wouldn't automatically update back to 1.18

Sep 30, 2020

Hey man,

I did a lot more digging and found out that this isn't a problem with the laptop, but was instead intended. The throttling temperature is meant to be 75C sadly. Read the description of this video :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNBcelUWz0&ab_channel=IlhamZainulhaq

It sucks that we'll face stuttering and lower FPS, but for now we'll have to repaste our CPUs or buy a laptop cooling pad. I can finally sleep at night knowing that it wasn't me..

Sep 30, 2020

I found the solution!
I used the latest version of Ryzen Controller and changed the temp limit from there, and now I'm not getting any throttling anymore!
Here's what you need to do:

1. Install and open Ryzen Controller
  2. Go to the CPU tab and change the temp limit to anything higher than 75C (I used 85C).
  3. You can change the TDP to anything you'd like or keep it on stock settings. The temp limit is really the only important option. I'm using 30W.
  4. Go to the settings tab and tick the three boxes so Ryzen Controller starts when you log into Windows (it must be open during games so that it doesn't throttle).

The responsiveness is unbelievable. Before I was getting 70 FPS with a lot of stuttering (and I had optimized windows to the FULLEST with a GPU overclock, but nothing much happened). Now I'm gettting up to 144 FPS with clockspeeds up to 3.2Ghz.

May 16, 2020
I found the solution!
I used the latest version of Ryzen Controller and changed the temp limit from there, and now I'm not getting any throttling anymore!
Here's what you need to do:

1. Install and open Ryzen Controller
  2. Go to the CPU tab and change the temp limit to anything higher than 75C (I used 85C).
  3. You can change the TDP to anything you'd like or keep it on stock settings. The temp limit is really the only important option. I'm using 30W.
  4. Go to the settings tab and tick the three boxes so Ryzen Controller starts when you log into Windows (it must be open during games so that it doesn't throttle).
The responsiveness is unbelievable. Before I was getting 70 FPS with a lot of stuttering (and I had optimized windows to the FULLEST with a GPU overclock, but nothing much happened). Now I'm gettting up to 144 FPS with clockspeeds up to 3.2Ghz.
Hmmm weird.. which BIOS version are you using?

I used the Ryzen Controller before but temp limit was still there.

Sep 30, 2020
Hmmm weird.. which BIOS version are you using?

I used the Ryzen Controller before but temp limit was still there.
Welp i just got jebaited.
I used 1.08 when i did this and i updated back to 1.18 today. The clock speeds ran at 3.2Ghz for a few minutes and then dropped back to 2.00Ghz for the rest of the game. I dunno how to fix this. Maybe it is throttling down because CPUs aren't supposed to turbo boost for a long time? Is this true?

May 16, 2020
Welp i just got jebaited.
I used 1.08 when i did this and i updated back to 1.18 today. The clock speeds ran at 3.2Ghz for a few minutes and then dropped back to 2.00Ghz for the rest of the game. I dunno how to fix this. Maybe it is throttling down because CPUs aren't supposed to turbo boost for a long time? Is this true?
I just downgraded to 1.08 and performance seems a bit better than 1.18... idk might try 1.11 too...

But yeah temperature limit cannot ne removed :/
Also yeah this is U series CPU... That could be the case.

Sep 30, 2020
Its better than 1.08 for sure... So try 1.11 too, idk its hard to notice actually.
Hmmm ok. I'm pretty sure this problem has something to do with the boost clocks. Since this is a U chip, it doesn't maintain boost clocks for long. I tried using a program called RyzenTest to lock the frequency of the CPU to 3.2Ghz and it worked for a few minutes until it dropped back to 2.00 Ghz. Super annoying

May 16, 2020
Hmmm ok. I'm pretty sure this problem has something to do with the boost clocks. Since this is a U chip, it doesn't maintain boost clocks for long. I tried using a program called RyzenTest to lock the frequency of the CPU to 3.2Ghz and it worked for a few minutes until it dropped back to 2.00 Ghz. Super annoying
Btw I get less drops on latest BIOS 1.18... so yeah idk.
I get that its a U chip but a proper BIOS update could fix the hard drop from 3+Ghz to below 2.0Ghz (but Im still pretty sure it has to do with 75C thermal restriction... since my temps NEVER go over 75C on my CPU and thats when I notice the drops, while GPU can reach 85C if needed with no issues).
We wouldn't notice that hard fps drop and lag if clock speeds progressively drop down as it should (to keep the temperature below 75C most of the time?).

Btw here is a link to my topic on Acer Community forums: https://community.acer.com/en/discu...when-reaching-75-celsius-amd-ryzen-5-2500u/p1 as you can see there are a lot more people with this issue...

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020
Btw I get less drops on latest BIOS 1.18... so yeah idk.
I get that its a U chip but a proper BIOS update could fix the hard drop from 3+Ghz to below 2.0Ghz (but Im still pretty sure it has to do with 75C thermal restriction... since my temps NEVER go over 75C on my CPU and thats when I notice the drops, while GPU can reach 85C if needed with no issues).
We wouldn't notice that hard fps drop and lag if clock speeds progressively drop down as it should (to keep the temperature below 75C most of the time?).

Btw here is a link to my topic on Acer Community forums: https://community.acer.com/en/discu...when-reaching-75-celsius-amd-ryzen-5-2500u/p1 as you can see there are a lot more people with this issue...
Yeah, I really wish they introduced a new BIOS update but that's unlikely. I also repasted my CPU and GPU a few days ago and it made the temps even worse which sucks. Now it's thermal throttling even when I'm just watching youtube videos, while before it would hover in the 70s when playing games and would sometimes throttle at 75C

Nov 20, 2020
Hello,

Im using Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 v1.17 BIOS update, with Ryzen 5 2500u RX 560X 4GB, 12 GB DDR4, SSD+HDD, Windows 10 PRO.

Im getting issues with my CPU. Whenever CPU reaches 75 Celsius it will downclock to 2.00Ghz (base clock) even tho it can easly handle 95+ Celsius.
Boost clock (3+GHz) gets back as soon as it drops down a bit (usually in few seconds)

This bothers me because I get stuttering ingame because of this throttling for no reason. 75 Celsius is a joke for this CPU.

I've tried to repaste both GPU and CPU. I've used RyzenADJ and Ryzen Controller (Unofficial Ryzen Master overclock tool) but those programs cannot remove this 75 Celsius thermal restriction for some reason.

Is there any way to report this to ACER or increase max temperature to atleast 85 Celsius?

Thanks!
Best regards.
Hello,

Thanks!
Best regards.
Hey, I have the same laptop except the SSD part. I had also faced the same issue (cpu stucks at 1.98ghz while playing games). Today I did one thing and it somewhat fixed the issue. In nitro sense application under AC power supply set performance to power saver. Next in control panel->Power settings->choose a power plan edit the power saver mode under advance settings. In processor power management, set minimum processor state to 100% alone. It will make the processor to go beyond 2ghz while gaming constantly. I dont know whether this is a solution,but today I happily played without lag.✌️
Note: In prior delete power saver mode in control panel if it's already there. When u select from nitro sense it will create a new one for u.

Reactions: 1337Braz
Status
Not open for further replies.