Question Acer Nitro 5 Back Lid - Is it ok to have 2 screws missing?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

One is near the central of my laptop, one is for the SATA drive. Is it ok to just tape up the holes to prevent dust from going in?

I tried to use the same exact screw for the holes and nothing happens when I turn it, it seems that the hole threads are stripped from tightening and untightening screws too often and too hard.

I'm guessing these external screws are not a big deal? What exactly are the downsides other than a slightly looser lid?

Is there nothing else to do except to get a new laptop back lid cover if I want it to screw in properly?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Thanks, but I said that the screw holes themselves were stripped, it's impossible to screw anything back in there.

I'm using some tape just to cover up the holes in cast any dust/liquids get in there, I'm assuming even if it does it doesn't lead to anything important and is just there for tightening.

My only concern is the bottom of the laptop can get pretty hot and might melt the scotch tape glue, is this possible for the outside of a laptop if the maximum temperature my CPU/GPU would go to is 90 degrees Celsius?

Even if it does melt, is it not really a concern since there isn't a lot of glue and it would just drip on the sides of the hole?

D

Deleted member 362816

Thanks, but I said that the screw holes themselves were stripped, it's impossible to screw anything back in there.

I'm using some tape just to cover up the holes in cast any dust/liquids get in there, I'm assuming even if it does it doesn't lead to anything important and is just there for tightening.

My only concern is the bottom of the laptop can get pretty hot and might melt the scotch tape glue, is this possible for the outside of a laptop if the maximum temperature my CPU/GPU would go to is 90 degrees Celsius?

Even if it does melt, is it not really a concern since there isn't a lot of glue and it would just drip on the sides of the hole?

I really wouldn't worry about it worst case use electrical tape it shouldn't melt. Or a small dab of hot glue into the 2 empty holes.