Question Acer Nitro 7 Blue Screen Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDeftino

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys.

I was watching TV last night and had the laptop on in the background. It wasn’t doing anything, just sitting in file explorer I think. It suddenly blue screened and restarted, then hung on the Acer boot screen for about 20 minutes. I turned it off and on again and now it’s stuck in this blue screen loop.

I managed to log into windows today and updated my drivers, but shortly after it blue screened again. I managed to get into Windows Repair and began a system restore to Feb 10th, but it blue screened during that too. Now it’s back to the loop you see in the video here:
View: https://youtu.be/5H7a19byO-o

I'd list the blue screen codes but I've seen about 7 different ones and can't remember them all. You can see 2 of them in the video. The most common one though is the SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXEPTION error. Often the laptop won't restart itself after blue screening too. I'll try and write them here as I keep trying to fix it:
  • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXEPTION
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
  • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
I’ve encountered many issues in my time but so far none that have rendered me as helpless as this one. I've tried booting it in safe mode but pressing F8 at boot doesn't do anything, and all the guides I've seen for Windows 10 Safe Mode are how to do it from within a normal windows boot, rather than at the boot screen.

I think it's likely a driver problem, but I'm just struggling to work out a way to fix it because of the lack of user input before the blue screen.

Specs:
i7-9750H
GTX 1660Ti
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it
you will need to make it on another pc

Colif

Win 11 Master
Safe mode -
Boot to the Command Prompt of your boot disk (see methods to create below). Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back to the boot screen -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

MrDeftino

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it
you will need to make it on another pc

Made a USB bootstick using memtest, put it into the laptop, turn the laptop on and the same thing occurs. Boots to the Acer screen and either hangs there, blue screens, or occasionally will show "Preparing Automatic Repair" before rebooting or blue screening. It's almost instantaneous too. Here is a video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QTfKPunG8M

MrDeftino

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
You might need to reverse some of those steps if you want to boot into windows as its likely it was set as UEFI boot. the instructions for safe mode would need to be done before you swap back.
No error in the memtest. Currently trying to reinstall windows. I have a USB device that begins the install, then it gets to a point where it needs to restart to continue the install. The laptop restarts and I get stuck in a similar reboot cycle.

MrDeftino

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
does it start the install process again at the restart stage?
Nope. It has a whole new set of problems now (well, it still Blue Screens but there's other stuff going on).

Because I tried to reinstall windows, I formatted the C; drive during the install process, so now windows does not completely exist on my laptop, only a partial install that will never complete. Now when I turn the laptop on - if i have Windows Boot Manager set as the default boot device I get a screen that says "Windows failed to start..." kinda similar to this one https://ugetfix.com/wp-content/uploads/articles/askit/boot-error-0xc000000e_en.png but with more options. I can press F1 to go into Recovery mode, but then the laptop will jump to the Acer boot logo and then either hang or restart and forget it's meant to go to Recovery mode, so I get the Windows failed to start screen again.

If I boot from the Windows USB Boot drive, I can choose to begin install process for 64-bit or 32-bit windows, or I can Press F8 to try and go into Safe Mode. Since Windows has not been fully installed, this doesn't seem to work. It does the same thing as above, it goes to the Acer boot screen then hangs or restarts. The same thing happens if I try to install 64-bit or 32-bit Windows.

I fear my laptop is beyond salvation at this stage. I've encountered many problems in my life with computers but never one that has seen it this monumentally screwed haha. Usually reinstalling Windows is a last resort and I can't even do that! It's less than a year old so I've contacted Acer to request a repair but we'll see if they come back with anything.

If you have any more ideas feel free to share, I'll try anything at this stage.

Colif

Win 11 Master
need to wipe C drive and start again.

boot from installer
hit shift F10 and it should open command prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe
If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

restart PC and try to install win 10 on hdd

MrDeftino

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
need to wipe C drive and start again.

boot from installer
hit shift F10 and it should open command prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe
If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

restart PC and try to install win 10 on hdd

I'm unable to do this as I can never get to the install screen to open the command prompt. Whenever I boot 64 bit install or 32 bit install it just hangs on the Acer boot screen, See the video:
View: https://youtu.be/T8nEVZJbvCM

At the end of the video I press Shift F10 on the USB Boot screen and I get a CMD to edit the boot options. Is there anything I can do with this?

MrDeftino

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Did you ever happen to figure out this issue out? I'm having the exact same issue with my laptop.
Yeah I did. I had to send it back to Acer as it was under warranty and they fixed it. They didn't tell me what was wrong, but from what I could tell by looking at it, it must have been a dead motherboard. The only thing that looked different when I opened it back up was the motherboard so it must have been that.

Status
Not open for further replies.