Question Acer Nitro 7 - Very hot idle temps

MrDeftino

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys,

I've been monitoring my temps recently as I've started to notice some very weird behaviours. When I'm playing games RivaTuner/Afterburner always seems to show my CPU temp at 92 degrees. It might fluctuate a degree or two now and then but it's nearly always at 92 degrees - I'd say 99% of a gaming session it will say 92. In the past, this would obviously fluctuate depending on what I was doing, ranging from low 80s to around 97.

I've just been monitoring my temps for the past 10 minutes or so and it's still shooting between 75 and 95 degrees - spending most of the time in the 90s. I have my max processor power set to 80% when plugged in and I have the laptop on a cooling pad (which aren't that great, I know). I know I can always do a repaste, but I suspect there's a bigger issue at play here other than a simple crappy/worn out paste. The laptop is about 1.5 years old.

You can see my Nitrosense here: View: https://imgur.com/a/2FDiUmW

Things I've tried:
  • Undervolting
  • Limiting the max processor state to less than 100%
  • Cooling pad
  • Max fans
  • CoolBoost
  • Changing power plan
Nothing seems to make a difference to the temps - at all. Any ideas what could be causing the CPU to run this hot when idle?

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
Believe me when I say that I've seen laptops with more dirt inside with 6 months then laptops with years. If yours have 1.5 years I would open it up and clean the fans, exits and repaste.
With that RPM on both fans, can you even hear to music in 100% volume :D

MrDeftino

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Believe me when I say that I've seen laptops with more dirt inside with 6 months then laptops with years. If yours have 1.5 years I would open it up and clean the fans, exits and repaste.
With that RPM on both fans, can you even hear to music in 100% volume :D
Believe me they can do louder ;)

I just had the back open a couple of days back as I added in a new SATA SSD and didn't notice a crazy amount of dirt/dust. Is there any recommended equipment to use when cleaning fans and exits? I've heard rather than using microfibre cloths it's better to use an air blaster.