Question ACER notebook motherboard missing hard drive SATA connector

Dec 2, 2019
Hi everyone, I want to buy a bigger hard drive for my little notebook and I have found out that I have no SATA connector whatsoever. Could anyone please take a look at the image of my motherboard and tell me the name of the cable or the connector I'm missing I'd really appreciate it.

wUHJYG.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
Often, the manufacturer makes a semi-generic motherboard, to be used across several similar models.
Leaving off the actual connections for those models that do not have the required part.

That space marked HDD is almost certainly for a slightly different model laptop.

Dec 2, 2019
Often, the manufacturer makes a semi-generic motherboard, to be used across several similar models.
Leaving off the actual connections for those models that do not have the required part.

That space marked HDD is almost certainly for a slightly different model laptop.
But I have no SATA cable where to connect a new hard drive to, where do I plug it?

Good question! If the notebook supports SDXC cards, then it should work with that size. The limit for SDXC is theoretically up to 2 terabytes, but I suspect manufacturers could still take shortcuts on the interface to save costs and specify support for SDXC along with a size limit that matches currently available SDXC card sizes. I believe the largest one available right now is 1 terabyte, so if your notebook debuted before the 1tb card it might not work. Best to check your notebook’s product page and/or manual.

So, according to this article earlier in the year, your notebook officially support 64GB cards, but users have reported that some 128GB cards also work. See this for details:

http://www.androidcentral.com/best-sd-cards-acer-chromebook-r-11?amp

EDIT: OOPS, that’s for the Chromebook version. You have Windows 10, right? Acer website wanted the serial number for me to download the manual?! I believe your Windows notebook is good up to 2TB, but best to check it for yourself in the manual under SD card storage reader:

Last edited:
Reactions: ferchu2207
Dec 2, 2019
So, according to this article earlier in the year, your notebook officially support 64GB cards, but users have reported that some 128GB cards also work. See this for details:

http://www.androidcentral.com/best-sd-cards-acer-chromebook-r-11?amp

EDIT: OOPS, that’s for the Chromebook version. You have Windows 10, right? Acer website wanted the serial number for me to download the manual?! I believe your Windows notebook is good up to 2TB, but best to check it for yourself in the manual under SD card storage reader:
Apparently, my computer provides an SDHC or SDXC compatible card reader, so, 2TB max. Thank you so much you've been really helpful.

Reactions: mortemas