Acer Predator 21 X ($9,000) Gaming Laptop Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

termathor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2015
I'm a gamer all proper but 9k for something with one hour battery life on gaming, or a laptop of 8kg, FFS, what kind of loonie would buy this ?
Even SLI is a terrible idea. What game works ok with this ?

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I really want one so I can pop that thing open while in the middle seat of a plane and ask my neighbors to use their outlets, and watch the cabin lights dim and the tray table break off when I go to fire it up.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
This is dumb build a mini itx computer with 120hz monitor and save yourself $7500 I am really getting tired of seeing seriously over priced CRAP Acer sucks for high end reliability. All these companies are <removed> OVER THE CONSUMER WHEN THEY PRICE GOUGE LIKE THIS!!! Because if one sells then other companies will follow suit just like the ssd market and other markets.

Watch the language. - G

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
officially never selling another Acer Laptop due to this kind of practice back to HP, Dell, and Asus for my customers.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Ugh, why does a comment like this have to pop up on every article about a gaming laptop. A mini ITX build + monitor + keyboard is nowhere near as portable or convenient as a laptop, even a bulky gaming laptop.

Not saying this particular laptop isn't ridiculous though.

True enough, but this one requires you to plug it in, twice.

And as far as portable goes, it's nearly 20 pounds just by itself with no chargers. With the case and accessories it's 26 pounds. The biggest thing in its favor over a mini ITX build is probably external cable management.

ClubSpade12

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Standard ultrawide resolutions already have a hard time getting support, how are they gonna make games work on a totally weird resolution like that...

The real facts: Some rich people will not do any research on a product and instead buy the most expensive one with the assumption that the more expensive one is always better. The sad truth to that is: these idiots are getting ripped off all the time but they have so much money they don't even know or care... This laptop is a stupid millionaire's "that's gotta be the best" purchase.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Haha. Who are these customers you're talking about? And what kind of practice are you referring to?

How do you picture this going down at Acer HQ? Is there a boardroom full of old guys in suits and they're all gloating about their latest scam to siphon every last dollar from the middle class? There is no poor family that mistakenly buys this for their 12 year old son for Christmas. No one is getting screwed here. Acer is perfectly aware of how they priced this thing and they know that only a teeny tiny niche market would even consider it.

Getting back to my original point, the existence of a $9,000 laptop isn't hurting anyone. Certainly not the millionaire that buys it. Certainly not the average consumer that knows to stay away. If you're going to stop recommending Acer computers, do it because you feel like they're poor quality, not because of a niche product they offer.

Hamm_

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
This thing is huge and expensive and has a terrible battery life. Why not just buy a PC?

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

They're essentially trying to make a desktop out of a laptop. So why not just make an actual desktop and save about 80% ?

This is not much more "portable" when you think about carrying around those giant power bricks. You could just strap a monitor to the side of an ITX case and a handle and it won't be that much different.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Please Snap a picture with the Lid Closed from the front. MY OCD is KILLING ME, i can't believe nobody will photograph the front with the lid closed

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I hope for 9K that everything is removable and you can upgrade every little thing in there. 26lbs this thing weighs more them my mini/itx build which is liquid cooled. I think for this price point just get a slim case and mount a small monitor on it with hinges and save 6K plus on it same amount of portability.

The only benefit to this would be pulling it out at Starbucks and running all the yups out of there ??

SIGH... it's $3000 for the laptop, and $6000 for the box. And while I'm being a bit stupid, I'm pissed at the price of Ferrari's now. I can't afford one, don't want one, so I'm mad they cost so much.

Luckily I can build a bicycle with better gas mileage to point out how idiotic people with money that want the best really are.

And yes, there are wealthy people that have PORTABILITY requirements and want a high-end gaming DESKTOP REPLACEMENT system.

Top down:

https://img.purch.com/r/600x450/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9TL0ovNjg2NjExL29yaWdpbmFsL0FjZXItUHJlZGF0b3ItMjEtWC0xMC5qcGc=

And directly in front, video, 0:05

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-predator-21x/preview/

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS