Acer Predator G1-710-70001 Gaming Desktop Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_D_Design

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
It's always the same result with the Teir One companies. What a waste of time trying to get their engineers to make a gaming pc different than the boutique builds or do-it-yourself ones. You would think with all their money that they could come up with something cutting edge. The last thing I have witnessed was HP Blackbird. Now that was a well thought out Gaming PC.

I find Acer to be a great company that has earned respect on many sides of the tech industry. They have shown an increase in quality in their products. I have 3 of their laptops having switched from Dell (due to Dell's quality issues with their budget offerings). I also just bought their Surface 4 clone (Switch Alpha 12) and am loving the quality of that. Fact is, Acer offers one of the best quality items as of lately. How these engineering departments get away with this substandard type of design is beyond me. Being a designer myself and a futurist, I see many missing things that can be done with Gaming PC design. But I applaud the amount of new case designs that come out daily that really are refreshing to look at. I like it clean and simple, and I like it 'Over the Top'. Fact is that we are in a place now where PC Gaming is flourishing and boy am I happy about that..... I don't know about you, but these new clear window systems are really getting quite good looking. See ya.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
That external DOUBLE cord power supply is the stupidest thing I have ever seen on a desktop. Makes this a completely idiotic product. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

G

The PSU is a piece of junk. Two power cables for 460W? Maybe they has surplus of laptop power supplies, and this was a way to get rid of them.

g-unit1111

Titan
That disc drive ruins it, IMO. I want to like that case design, but the positioning of that CD drive sticks out like a sore thumb, and that's something that could easily be done away with in this day and age.

Huh I wonder, If you guys hooked up a normal PSU to the system instead of the twin laptop PSUs, might it perform better? Or maybe just show a "regular desktop" version of it, since you probably have the same parts lying around.

g-unit1111

Titan

I completely agree! That plus the CD drive make this one of the dumbest case designs I've ever seen.

I can live with the optical drive. I can live with the compactness.

I can't live with the price. AND... They could have at least repackaged the laptop PSU "bricks" into a single housing with the looks they tried to give it, powering BOTH units from a single cord. Two output power cables would be just the other side of acceptable, while making it a single power connection to the PC is obviously ideal.

This begs the question... Was this a Prototype Unit, a Production unit, or a hybrid of the two? Meanwhile, just give me the asking price for this unit, and, while maybe not as small, I'll come up with something easier to work in and on AND perform better.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
+1 for the lame-o PSU setup. Leaves me wondering what happens if one of the bricks fails, or gets unplugged?

But on the other side of things there is a definite place for getting a system that you can unpack, plug in and start gaming on almost immediately. Plus they do offer some support -- which you do not get when building your own.

is that worth the $2k pricetag? not for me.

g-unit1111

Titan

I agree, the price and the PSU are both a double whammy. I just can't get over the laptop PSU powering a GTX 1080. And the price? You could build your own with a 7700K and 1080 - non founder's edition - for $1600, that's $600 less than the asking price for this PC shaped object.

Status
Not open for further replies.