Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop Review: A New Value King

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

This laptop wasn't given an award? I was under the impression that hardware that performs well and was an excellent value for it's class usually got editor awards.

/shrug

Maybe the article was silently updated, but I can clearly see that it does have an award...

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I see that now. I'm 99% confident that award wasn't there when I originally posted that message. Best explanation is that either 1. I'm blind or 2. The article was ninja-edited

DuncDog

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
There were some things missing from this review that seems out of place given the normal processes for Tom's Hardware Reviews... CPU Stress Testing, CPU Temperature Testing, CPU/GPU Throttling Testing, Audio Ramp Up of Fan Assembly?

I only recalled seeing NotebookCheck's review back in August of an almost identical sku Helios 300, and seeing markedly different results here in so far as Temps are concerned.

>For instance, here is a direct quote from their review of the cooling assembly:

"Our stress test showed that the heat produced by the CPU and GPU is not transported out of the case fast enough. We measured a maximum CPU temperature of 97 °C (~206.6 °F). Nonetheless, the CPU managed to keep up the core clock rate over the entire one-hour test period. The maximum temperature we measured on the GPU was 84 °C (~183.2 °F). It has no thermal throttling."

>Where was any of that here? They also noted this about the fan assembly on their unit:

"What bothered us, however, was the high-frequency noise that the fans started emitting at partial load."

Unless Acer pulled a massive factory side initiative to resolve both of those issues, there seem to be some pits in the Tom's Review of this Laptop because the striking difference in readings gives the impression of 2 entirely different pieces of hardware. We are taking order of magnitude differences here. 97C vs ~60C on CPU and 82C vs 67C on the 1060s.

Here is the other review for reference:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Predator-Helios-300-7700HQ-GTX-1060-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.242962.0.html

DuncDog

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
There were some things missing from this review that seems out of place given the normal processes for Tom's Hardware Reviews... CPU Stress Testing, CPU Temperature Testing, CPU/GPU Throttling Testing, Audio Ramp Up of Fan Assembly?

I only recalled seeing NotebookCheck's review back in August of an almost identical sku Helios 300, and seeing markedly different results here in so far as Temps are concerned.

>For instance, here is a direct quote from their review of the cooling assembly:

"Our stress test showed that the heat produced by the CPU and GPU is not transported out of the case fast enough. We measured a maximum CPU temperature of 97 °C (~206.6 °F). Nonetheless, the CPU managed to keep up the core clock rate over the entire one-hour test period. The maximum temperature we measured on the GPU was 84 °C (~183.2 °F). It has no thermal throttling."

>Where was any of that here? They also noted this about the fan assembly on their unit:

"What bothered us, however, was the high-frequency noise that the fans started emitting at partial load."

Unless Acer pulled a massive factory side initiative to resolve both of those issues, there seem to be some pits in the Tom's Review of this Laptop because the striking difference in readings gives the impression of 2 entirely different pieces of hardware. We are taking order of magnitude differences here. 97C vs ~60C on CPU and 82C vs 67C on the 1060s.

Here is the other review for reference:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Predator-Helios-300-7700HQ-GTX-1060-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.242962.0.html

Status
Not open for further replies.