[SOLVED] Acer Predator Helios 500 laptop not powering on after repasting

Apr 22, 2021
Hello,
I wanted to repaste my laptop (Acer Predator Helios 500 PH-517-51-72EC) since it was getting really hot and it was now out of warranty. I had already sent it back to Acer before to get the fans replaced but it was still getting crazy hot for nothing, CPU throttling on the lightest games, etc ... I guess they didn't put thermal paste again at the time.
So I opened the laptop, removed all the screws, the pins connected, etc ...
I then removed all the thermal paste from the GPU, CPUs and all the things around that had some prior, using paper towels and alcohol (33% isopropyl and 66% ethyl alcohol)
I repasted with Thermal Grizzly thermal paste, just a little bit on everything.
Finally i closed it with a few screws making sure to connect every pins back again to try it but it doesn't power on at all, nothing happens at all when I click the power button.
I don't understand where it could come from since if I damaged something it could at least boot to bios for more info but it seems like it doesn't power on at all.
Thanks in advance for those that can help me, I'm a student so I really need my laptop for school and everything ...

Solution
I opened it and made sure to connect everything back in 2 times now. There might be a little gap now with some of the motherboard parts and the heatsink since I used thermal paste instead of the thermal pads that were before but I don't think it's that.
Is there a way to know or test if the chip is damaged ?

Thermal paste is not a suitable replacement for thermal pads as some can be electrically conductive. If any thermal paste gets onto your motherboard or sensitive capacitors and solder points, there could be irreversible consequences.
Apr 22, 2021
I opened it and made sure to connect everything back in 2 times now. There might be a little gap now with some of the motherboard parts and the heatsink since I used thermal paste instead of the thermal pads that were before but I don't think it's that.

May 21, 2021

Thermal paste is not a suitable replacement for thermal pads as some can be electrically conductive. If any thermal paste gets onto your motherboard or sensitive capacitors and solder points, there could be irreversible consequences.

Reactions: helper800
Solution

TRENDING THREADS