Acer Predator X27 4K Gaming Monitor Review: Our New Addiction

Daniel_225

Commendable
May 10, 2016
It's too small for 4K. Sacrifice down to 60hz and you can step back up to the 32" size we're all more comfortable looking at 4K without font scaling. This monitor's real advantage is HDR + 4K + 144hz but it costs as much as having a better gaming monitor next to a better proofing monitor.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Its 27" and an quite insane price for its size no matter how much goodies it contains, 4k, hdr and 144 is all nice but at this size the 4k is far less useful than on a much larger screen.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
The 2nd slide under Product 360 kind of reminds me of the animated desk lamp you see in movies that Pixar has done.

The monitor is expensive I'll agree with that. The size is good if you don't have the space on your desk for larger monitors. It's a bit much for me though, I only recently made the jump to 1440p, 4k is still too expensive for me to make the switch, not to mention my aging GTX 970 would choke at 4k resolutions. I'll give Acer some credit though they have made some pretty decent gaming monitors recently.

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Read real reviews from actual users on Newegg. This monitor has built in small fan which can get very loud. That very weird. Don't know what is that doing there. Absolutely not acceptable at over 2 grand monitor. This is just gaming monitor not professional designer monitor. Price is just ridiculous. I'd like to get something more down to earth with specs and price: 4k, 32'', 100Hz factory calibrated monitor $1200 max.

Nov 14, 2018
DO NOT BUY ACER MONITORS at least the one with GSync capable, I bought a xb321hk for $1000.00 and got the famous artifacting and screen blanking issue.
Below link for Acer's community forum regarding this issue
https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/441879/xb321hk-weird-artifact/p1

My Actual issue video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bo2iExeZRk

I have reached the END of Acers customer service line, They only offered me $400 refund LOL. After 5 returns, 3 different xb321hk monitors, I have worked with Corporate Customer service and "Elite" technical support and wasted 3-4 months for $400.00 refund.... Unbelievable. I will continue to post my personal experience on websites and I'll update my Youtube video warning people NOT to buy ACER.

hendrickhere

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
This best thing about this monitor is that it is essentially "future proof." The high quality HDR with a 144hz refresh rate that no existing graphics card(s) in SLI can hit with a modern AAA title at max setting makes the price somewhat justifiable. It'd be more apply priced at sub $1,200 in my opinion and it would, in the longer term, be a great investment for an enthusiast.

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
$2k.... why on Earth? 2560X1440 144Hz GS/FS 27" to 32" screens all available for $500 or thereabouts. That's 75% less. Sure, you're gaming at a lower res, but it really isn't that significant. Spend $1500 instead on upgrading or enhancing your gaming needs in other areas of the PC.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Toms failed to mention the high complaint rate regarding the very loud fan that is inside this monitor. The fan is required to actively cool components inside the housing. For me, this is a huge fail. No way would I buy a monitor that has a moving part that will wear out eventually. I'll wait for the 2nd gen of these monitors that use a passive cooling solution ;-)

Diji1

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
> This monitor's real advantage is HDR + 4K + 144hz

>4k, hdr and 144 is all nice

>The high quality HDR with a 144hz refresh rate

Nope, 4K with HDR is limited to 98 Hz because of DisplayPort limitations.

>$2k.... why on Earth? but it really isn't that significant.

So many newbs here.

Contrast has more of an effect on image quality than resolution. You cannot get high contrast on IPS screens without FALD and FALD is expensive to add to displays.

hendrickhere

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

It's still a pretty sweet monitor if you can afford it. 98 hz would still outpace current gen graphic cards. Also, you don't need to get so upset on a monitor review on the internet. Posts are meant to be a discussions. If you think you have better information then post about it without projecting emotional negativity at members of the community.

alithegreat

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Can you make more comments on the fan?
Also there was some videos of the big brother of this panel Predator X35 and ghosting, simply done on a fair with UFO test site. (Not released for years, for some reason)

Do you think these have valid points? Do people exaggerate?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/8qzklw/review_of_acer_predator_x27/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/8ske8r/acer_predator_x27_some_warnings/
There are confusing comments out there (a lot more if you search) , i guess they are missing something but what? Can we get your professionel comment please?

Nov 24, 2018
I couldn't resist and got my X27 yesterday. So far I'm more than happy with it.

Regarding the fan: I don't know why people make such a fuss over it. I can only hear it in total silence, if I turn off everything in the room, including my (watercooled!) silent PC. It's barely audible. And I never heard it change its velocity either.

So as far as I'm concerned, this is really a non-issue.

The only thing standing against the x27 is the crazy price.