News Acer Predator X32 Mini-LED Gaming Monitor Hits a Radiant 1,400 Nits Brightness With HDR

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
See this is what we were waiting for. 32 inches with a FALD backlight, 120+ Hz. And the price $3599? Ridiculous. Anyone still want to defend LCD technology? LG can easily make 32 inch OLED monitors for $999 or less with all the HDR support and better in every way. Seems like FALD and mini LED is a dead end tech. It can't be adapted to HDR properly.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
See this is what we were waiting for. 32 inches with a FALD backlight, 120+ Hz. And the price $3599? Ridiculous. Anyone still want to defend LCD technology? LG can easily make 32 inch OLED monitors for $999 or less with all the HDR support and better in every way. Seems like FALD and mini LED is a dead end tech. It can't be adapted to HDR properly.
Permanent screen burn in makes OLED a non starter for a computer monitor. That's why no one is producing any. Current OLED monitors are just large format TV screens advertised for PC use. How many plasma computer monitors were there despite vastly superior picture quality compared to LCD's of that era? Same problem.

There is actually a smaller OLED monitor from Asus, released earlier this year.

Only $4000 for 21.6"

That's not the future.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Permanent screen burn in makes OLED a non starter for a computer monitor. That's why no one is producing any. Current OLED monitors are just large format TV screens advertised for PC use. How many plasma computer monitors were there despite vastly superior picture quality compared to LCD's of that era? Same problem.

There is actually a smaller OLED monitor from Asus, released earlier this year.

Only $4000 for 21.6"

That's not the future.

That's a garbage JOLED OLED. That company is more like a tax credit company rather than actually making anything. Many people such as myself have been using LG OLED TVs as monitors for some time with no burn in problems. There is no monitor version because it takes a large factory and there is nowhere to produce it yet. There's some hope now that the LG Chinese factory will come to full production over the next few months. 48 inch model is supposed to be coming.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
That's a garbage JOLED OLED. That company is more like a tax credit company rather than actually making anything. Many people such as myself have been using LG OLED TVs as monitors for some time with no burn in problems. There is no monitor version because it takes a large factory and there is nowhere to produce it yet. There's some hope now that the LG Chinese factory will come to full production over the next few months. 48 inch model is supposed to be coming.
It seems no one in the industry agrees with you. Where are the screens? Anything even announced?

shadragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
An email from Acer just confirmed this monitor will not be available in the near future with no ETA on delivery. I've waited 7 months and this monitor has not appeared on the market anywhere that I can see. Not even sure if review samples were shipped.

I've owned the last two generations of Predators, but now I'm looking at other vendors offerings. Crappier stats, but at least I can buy them now.

Toms Hardware, there's a story here. Other manufacturers have put out new kit. Why can't Acer???

Seems like FALD and mini LED is a dead end tech. It can't be adapted to HDR properly.
Because these are stepping stones to microLEDs. And if microLEDs are all that are cracked up to be on top of being manufactured on economic scales that make sense, then OLEDs aren't going to look as pleasing anymore.

Also on the flip side, I don't have room on my desk for a 48" TV and it makes zero sense anyway given the typical viewing distance I'm at from my current setup.