Acer Predator XB252Q 240Hz Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I'm happy to see that engineers keep pushing the limits of panel technologies. It's a shame that this monitor couldn't have ran at a higher resolution or used a better display technology. Subjectively, can you see the difference between 144Hz and 240Hz?

I'm using a Dell TN at home. After a little calibration, I think it looks great. Sometimes I notice the shoddy viewing angles and I sometimes wonder if it would look a little nicer with 8-bit color, but I'm satisfied otherwise. If you're in the market for a gaming monitor and you don't have bionic eyes that are sensitive to minor color inaccuracy, I'm sure this monitor would be great for you.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Maybe I'm showing my age...

But when did Acer become a premium product supplier? They used to sit right above "EMachines" when it came to jokes (and spec sheets) about their products performance and quality.

That being said, I've been perfectly happy with my XB27.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I actually do have "bionic eyes," lol. I do a lot of photo editing that relies on color-accurate, calibrated displays, and I can pretty reliably detect inaccuracies, which is why I ditched TN panels 15 years ago. But that being said, I don't really need critical accuracy when playing games. I think I'd be alright with a super-high refresh rate at the expense of super-accurate color in games. So long as it looks, like, not obviously way off, I'm sure I'd be fine with it. The viewing angles might be problematic, though.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

That's what I'm trying to describe. There's never been a time when I was like, "Does Mercy have brown hair or blonde hair?" The picture is pretty good especially after a little calibration. I'm speaking from the experience of my Dell TN.

dstarr3

Distinguished

If I had to guess, binning. The panels roll off the line, some are better than others, Asus pays the premium for the best ones, Acer takes the rest.

egyptiankang

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

You can pick up the XB252Q for $430 if you are near a Micro Center guess it's just the Asus Rog tax.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I don't know for sure if there is such a thing as binning with monitor panels, but binning is absolutely a manufacturing procedure that extends beyond CPUs. Wristwatches, for example. A wide variety of watches use mechanisms that were built on the same assembly line, but the ones that roll off the line and keep better time go in more expensive watches.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

God pulled a week of all-nighters on a 16:10 IPS when he designed the world. The art assets are all made in MSPaint and He wove it all together in assembly.

sztepa82

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
The article starts with "In the battle for gaming monitor supremacy, there’s Acer and Asus, and then there’s everyone else." WAT.......

I didn't bother to read any further

^ but that's pretty much true imo. LG, all though a good panel maker, doesn't have many high end monitors and no g sync to be particular. View sonic has just entered the market and BenQ is just now slowly including g sync ones in its portfolio.
So yes, Asus and acer are the front runners.
Samsung monitors till now have ghosting issues.

SilentMarket

Honorable
Jun 21, 2016

Because Acer doesn't get the TÜV Low Blue Light certification, it doesn't pay for a better filtering technology, which means a bad blue light filter and intense eyes drain.
This monitor hurts my eyes so bad in dim light that I had to returned it.
While Asus PG258Q is fine in the dim light.

Status
Not open for further replies.