Question Acer Predator XB271H A - Screen flickering WEIRD!

OguzDastan

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Hi,

I have a very weird issue with my Acer monitor. I bought it second hand, its about 5 months old (got the warranty too) and im very pleased with it.
Problem is, sometimes (most of the time after a long session), i get a random black screen/flickering lasting about 0.5 - 1 second, and then returning to normal. When this happens 90% of the time it's when i'm gaming. I have searched the web for answers but couldn't find anything other than changing the power cord, because Acer apparently gives a crappy one to start with. But that didn't help either.

And this is the weirdest part, when you turn on and turn off the light in my room, the screen starts to flicker. It goes black for 0.5 - 1 second, and comes back. Almost everytime you turn on/off the light it does that, especially when im gaming.

My monitor didn't work at first with DisplayPort. It worked with the HDMI only, but i bought it specifically for G-Sync.
I tried my monitor on my brothers PC, and it worked fine, and honestly i was a little shocked because i was pulling my hair out as to why the hell the monitor wasn't working.
I tested CS:GO on my brothers PC and it worked great at 144hz/fps.
I then switched the monitor back to my own PC and it still didn't work. Back to my brothers PC, i changed the G-Sync settings to on/off etc, did a little digging there, switched it back again to my own PC and THEN it worked... But now im getting random flickerings, typically after long sessions.

I suspected it was my GPU, but i have tested my own PC in my brothers room and it worked flawlessly.

The only thing that comes to mind is the power strip or the outlet in my room having some sort of leakage. Is that possible? Or the G-Sync Module is flawed? With the Acer monitor and my other Asus monitor plugged in (either same or different power strip/plug), then the Acer monitor acts out with a constant flicker that can't be stopped unless you plug it out again. The flickering does NOT happen when im using HDMI with dual monitors.

The things i have tried:

• Changing power cord
  • Changing power strip
  • Changing power outlet (2 outlets in my room)
  • Using another PC (which works fine)
  • Tested GPU/PC in a different room and power outlet (which works?!)
  • Using a hammer (only in my dream)
  • Using my brothers DisplayPort cable, with same result.
  • HDMI Works, but i'm playing games on 144hz, which it doesnt support.
  • Calculating Watt usuage, does NOT exceed or come close to PSU limit.
PC Specs:
GPU: MSI GTX 970
Motherboard: MSI Z170A
CPU: Intel i5 6600K
RAM: DDR4 8x2 Dual channel
PSU: Corsair VS Series VS650, 200-240V 650w

Monitors:
Acer Predator XB271H A (using DisplayPort)
Asus VG248QE (using DisplayPort or DVI)

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

OguzDastan

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
try a better psu?

I tested the Acer monitor on my brothers PC for some time and its the same issue. His build is far newer and more expensive than mine...

I gave the screen to the warranty place and told them about the problem, they tested it to no avail... i got it back and bought a brand new high end DP cable. The cable made things far better but it still happens. I cant get my money back if they cant find the problem... still Looking for fixes. There is a forum that suggests that some Acer and Asus high end monitors use bad panels which causes the problem...