Acer Predator Z35 35-inch Curved G-Sync Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
The only 'gamer' I see buying this monitor is one that wants super mega hecka uber duper high refresh rate for their twitch FPS and doesn't care that the image looks crappy.

Seriously, why not 1440, at least?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

Some people feel a need to have the "latest and greatest"...

It's a simple answer: CSGO. Competitive players want these high refresh rates.

It's a simple answer: CSGO. Competitive players want these high refresh rates.

Don't forget us BF4 players. We like the high refresh rates too. But for $300-400 less you could get a 1440p IPS panel like the PG279Q that runs up to 165Hz. That's why this bigger screen seems kinda weird given the price. At that price resolution should matter more.

Jack_565

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
"You'll need to use the former for G-Sync and for 200Hz operation, which also requires a GeForce GTX960 BOOST or better"
Could someone clarify what a 960 BOOST is, a OC'd 960?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
The thing with G-Sync is that every gamer in Battlefield 4 forums said that they use their monitors without G-Sync when gaming at 144hz, i asked them why and they all replied that it`s a pointless tech at that fps speed.. so practically you pay for G-sync only on the slower games where you can`t reach to fast fps.

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Did any of you actually read the article? First paragraph under the specs, right on the first page:

"Those who have browsed the specs certainly noticed the 2560x1080 pixel resolution. That's something we weren't thrilled to see in the XR3501 either but after testing and playing games on it for a while, the lower pixel density became a non-issue. We continue to maintain that contrast is the most important factor in image quality, not resolution. And the Z35 is no different."

SpAwNtoHell

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
I can live with the resolution as it eliminates the need for 3 monitor setup were in my opinion half of each left and right monitor are waisted, i like the contrast, gsync for slower games but not sure i can leave with the artifacts considering the price tag.... For this reason i am looking forward for the lenovo y27g amva panel with gsync 144hz ... As seems the only cons would be the fact that is a fhd res in a 27" but seems far better then a wide hd on a 35" like this one... I am hunting for a monitor to be pleased with for almost a year now but this certanly is not it tho close, as i would not settle for tn and ips low contrast...

George Phillips

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
At any size, 4k resolution will not work at 200hz and will have lags and won't run well with any graphics cards. 2560x1080 native resolution is perfectly fine and can produce high frame rates with many cards. I just wish there is a cheaper and smaller version with similar specs at a much lower price. Priced at $1000 and only for gaming? It's a no no.

Eggz

Distinguished
When are we going to see a 21:9 OLED display with adaptive refresh as a non-proprietary feature on DisplayPort 1.3 running at 5160x2160?

It would essentially be 4k but at a 21:9 aspect ratio. I'd be all over that!

Uri___Pisarev

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
The only 'gamer' I see buying this monitor is one that wants super mega hecka uber duper high refresh rate for their twitch FPS and doesn't care that the image looks crappy.

Seriously, why not 1440, at least?

My monitor is 1440, there's nothing special about it. Just because the number is bigger doesn't mean it is better. I have a 34 inch Ultrawide, 1440 is not all it is cracked up to me.

Uri___Pisarev

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I will NEVER buy another curved screen anything. You manufacturers really think we are stupid, don't you?

Why, it does make experience more immersive. I have a Dell U3415W, the curvature is very mild, it is so mild that i honestly forget that it is curved. I think that type of a display is best, it is more immersive than a flat panel but not as absurd as some monitors are.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
Edit: I changed my mind on this particular monitor.
Except for the slower response time TFT Central mentioned it's pretty awsome :)
The below doesn't really apply here.

Hz are pointless without a matching FRAME RATE. 200hz gets you nothing if you can only average 60fps. Additional Hz contribute NOTHING visually or functionally. *Some* monitors fail with their emphasis on high resolutions / high Hz while ignoring frame rates. It's frame rates that do what people want (1) reduce stutter (2) decrease input lag (3) reduce blur. Hz only serve as their medium. You need both so don't fall for the marketing hype, like 20,000 dpi mice.

1080p @ 120fps vsync'd beats 1440p @ 60fps gsync'd every time:
1/2 the blur
1/2 the lag
no "below 40fps" stutter

What I mean is Hz are fine but only if you have horsepower to back it up. *Some* monitors make it impossible without SLI, All of which helps explains this:

every gamer in Battlefield 4 forums said that they use their monitors without G-Sync when gaming at 144hz, i asked them why and they all replied that it`s a pointless tech at that fps speed..

g-unit1111

Titan
That is an insane amount of money for an ultrawide display with a 144hz refresh rate. For that price you can go for a 1440P ultrawide for less money. You don't get the refresh rate, but $1K or more for a 1080P display? Get real!

liteup23

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Still waiting for 21:9, 34", 3440x1440p, G-Sync, 144Hz.... Getting close.

I'm waiting for the same thing... only difference being that I would settle for 90Hz if the price was right. I've been waiting for almost 2 years now. When is someone going to wake up and make this monitor?

moogleslam

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

If you're happy with 90Hz, two such monitors already exist. Both the Acer Predator x34 & the ASUS PG348Q meet that criteria (100Hz)

Status
Not open for further replies.