Acer President: Ultrabooks Will Cost $499 in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Guess we'll wait till 2013 - Are these guys stupid to announce such things. Same thing with the bluray player, or dvd player at launches. Ridiculous prices at first, then ohhh, 200, then 50 bux.

makes it hard to justify buying a $1000 computer next year when it will be $500 the following year. At least this form factor stands a better chance at surviving than the tablets do.

As for Acer, I'm glad to hear they are going to be back in the black! Talk about turning a company around. They use to be absolute crap just a few years ago, and I would never have considered purchasing anything with their name on it. Now I have a netbook of theirs that I am quite happy with, as well as 120 newer netbooks at a school I work for, and am regularly suggesting their desktops to people looking for a pre-built machine. Sure, they are not top of the line. But they are cheap, and built with quality. Kind of like what eMachines was supposed to be in days gone by.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I just got an email from acer (after I foolishly registered another acer product) trying to get me to part with $999 for one of their ultrabooks.
Not a chance guys, not a chance.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom] they are cheap, and built with quality. Kind of like what eMachines was supposed to be in days gone by.[/citation]
Aren't eMachines now a division of acer?

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I don't want them to be $499 with a poor build quality. I'd rather they make it a reasonable $800-ish but with brilliant quality, and more performance

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]yeah, that'd happen only if intel reduces prices of their overpriced cpus down to reasonable level. otoh, amd could help bring down ultrabook prices by using llano and trinity apus.[/citation]

they aren't nearly as over priced as you think, id love to know the exact per waffer chip volume, and the exact yeild spec.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
he's probably assuming, zero inflation also...seeing as how that's not going to happen as long as the Fed Reserve gets to print money out of thin air.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Aren't eMachines now a division of acer?[/citation]
Gateway bought eMachines, then Acer bought Gateway...so they kinda did.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]I don't want them to be $499 with a poor build quality. I'd rather they make it a reasonable $800-ish but with brilliant quality, and more performance[/citation]

They'll have great performance with ultra low-voltage Ivy Bridge chips in them. Performance will be more than expected for how thin they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS