Acer ProDesigner BM320 4K Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenop

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Sorry to be an idiot, but I can't figure this out. I use X-Rite's i1 Display Pro, but it requires what I think of as manually calibrating the monitor. So for me, the statements "No gains from manual calibration" and "most users will employ software solutions like CalMAN or X-Rite to get their color spot-on" are contradictory. Can I or can I not use i1 Display Pro to calibrate the BM320? Thank you for another great review!

kenop

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
And an observation on Acer's warranty: It allows up to THIRTY ONE defective pixels on this monitor (though only one defective pixel is allowed in the central 1/9th portion). Seems like a lot to me, but admittedly I haven't been comparing warranties yet.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

You have to remember there are 8,294,400 pixels on the screen. It is probably hard to produce a 4K monitor with no dead pixels at an affordable price.

ceberle

Contributing Editor
Editor
Dec 20, 2012

You can use an i1 Display Pro to create a lookup table with CalMAN or X-Rite software. Manual calibration refers to adjustments made in the OSD which aren't effective with this monitor.

-Christian-

kenop

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017

Thank you, Christian, for the clarification. I came to the i1 Display Pro from an earlier model, and I guess I didn't RTFM since I had no idea it could do that. That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks again!

You can use a hosts file from:
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
to get rid of ads on most sites.

You can also use a free ad blocking dns, Adguard
https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

Personally I use Noscript + AdBlock + Hosts file, which allows me to see 0 ads on Tom's.
No videos, no audio playing, no ads boxing the content with super small X's.

I call this the Destiny 2 approach to ads
https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101

I still use google's dns since its faster than all the others.

But for the class I teach on online security the Adguard dns works nearly as well for those unwilling or unable to install a hosts file and or manually configure Noscript.

Does Toms still box you in with ads on all sides?

Is it the same Logitech rgb keyboard video that used to follow you around earlier this year?

Apr 6, 2016
Lies. Acer nor Asus have 10-bit panels. All of their monitors are 8+FRC. They are GAME monitor companies, they are not going to give you a pro monitor. Do not trust either company, they are scamming you and you can read it in their forums. False marketing and lying. They can't even be bothered to list the specs on their scam HDR monitors that have been delayed until next year. They refuse to list Adobe, DCI-P3, and rec2020 coverage. And if you cannot get 100% sRGB, you're pathetic.

And the most glaring omission is they fail to tell you you need a Quadro to edit 10-bit. And STFU with contradicting me. I'm in the industry and know more than all of you, and NVIDIA even tell you themselves on their own site.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to workstation displays, so these are just questions:

If a 8+FRC panel performs the same as a true 10-bit panel (as in, they achieve the same color accuracy, color depth, etc) is it worse? Or are you listing that as the reason why the color accuracy on this monitor doesn't achieve perfect sRGB?

As for needing Quadro, I thought all 10-bit displays needed workstation GPUs to do 10-bit? And wouldn't that be Nvidia's fault for disabling that on their consumer cards?

Totally agree. Tomshardware, I've had you whitelisted in adblock for a good while now, but this page hit me with an autoplay video ad with audio and no option to stop, pause or mute. I like this site, I have no problem with some ads and am keen to give you ad revenue, but that's too much for me. Adblock is back on again now I'm afraid. I'll happily whitelist TH again if this practice changes, but for now I'm ad-blocking.

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Talk about pricey.. geez sure its 32 so what.. and not a gaming monitor.. I don't see the plugging to your card.. ACER has gotten to big or just a big head..

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
ACER has gotten beyond expensive. all there monitors are hitting high plate-toes.. the prices were going up and down.. I guess with xmass and school starting.. they figure hell we just jack up the pricing for the next few months..

kookykrazee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

I don't get why the same exact video ad, autoplays, when supposedly, Tom's has said they are against autoplaying video ads! Remove these or your sight will go the way that WSJ and others have with forced ADB barriers.

kookykrazee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Wall Street Journal, one of many many sites that make it impossible to view their sites or links with an adblocker on. Even Bicycling.com has an adblocker, which they will gladly unblock if you give your email address to get their newsletter which gives links that...you guessed it...do not let you access with an adblocker on.

Tvtropes is another.

You can view those kinds of sites without ads if you disable javascript.

Easy to find the setting in chrome but in firefox it does take some digging.

Lets see them script a redirect when they can't use javascript.

Muhahaha (Evil Laugh)

Status
Not open for further replies.