xJACKTHERIPPERx

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I just bought an Acer S231HL, and there is a little plastic clip that came in the bag with the user manual and warranty but i have no clue what its for. it shows it in the user manual clipping onto the back of the monitor but doesnt say what its for. can anyone tell me what this piece is supposed to be for? i have a screenshot of the user manual but im not sure how to add it to the post :eek:

Solution

The clip is for cable retention. It goes in the slot just above the screw for the stand, and rotates 90 degrees. It doesn't snap in place and rests there loosely.

You can see it in the side view picture on the box the monitor came in.
G

I am planning to buy three of these monitors now that amazon has them in stock (free prime shipping :)) How do you like it so far?

As to your question, I would guess (and hope) that the plastic piece you describe is used to cover the spot where the stand attaches to the monitor so that you don't have an ugly hole there if your not going to use the included stand because it will be on a wall mount or in my case I will be making a stand to hold all three and using the vesa mounting holes on back.

So If your using the included stand that extra piece would not be used.

xJACKTHERIPPERx

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
so far i love it. only downside is there's no built in speakers, but its not that big of a deal. i have mine hooked up with an HDMI cable which it came with, so that was a nice surprise, even though i had to drive back to wal mart and return the one i bought separately lol. but ya, i love it, its very thin, doesnt get hot, and has a great picture on it. and the cables are easy to access if you need to unplug it. my old monitor had them access for the cables tucked away and they were real hard to get at

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I have the 243HL and it is disappointing in terms of color. Only covers 68% of NTSC color space. Out of the box the picture is cold and the colors are bland. I used a calibrator that cost more than the monitor itself to adjust it but calibration would make any monitor a bit dimmer. Since the LEDs are very weak, the brightness doesn't even hit 120cd/m2 after calibration. So I run it at max brightness all the time which isn't too bad but uncomparable to my real monitors.

You can get so much more from a similar priced Dell U2311 which is e-IPS based instead of TN.

LED backlight does nothing for the color or the quality of the image. Just something to make the monitor thinner and saves power. Also increases the price. So called "white" LEDs actually give off the slightest blue tint, something CCFLs don't have.

amigasteve

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

The clip is for cable retention. It goes in the slot just above the screw for the stand, and rotates 90 degrees. It doesn't snap in place and rests there loosely.

You can see it in the side view picture on the box the monitor came in.

Solution