Acer Says Netbooks Aren't Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
No, they're not. I know the good old parents are about to buy one to take on vacation places, because a touch screen just doesn't fly with them, and they don't want/need a full-size laptop. A cheap netbook is all they need for things like checking weather, maps, shop hours, etc. Nothing wrong with a good netbook whatsoever.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Tablets and netbooks both have a place. But both are very different devices.

Netbooks have a full blown OS installed, even if its feature reduced - such as Windows7 or Linux. You turn them on and wait about a minute before you can do anything with them.

A tablet such as an ipad, you swipe the screen and its on. Wait about 2~5 seconds to lock onto your network and you're ready to go.

$300 vs $500 for a typical netbook vs tablet... is important.

As most netbook players leave the market - that will allow ASUS and Acer to remain in the market.

Tablets are easier to use for people who DON'T like or understand computers.

If Acer wants to make a new type of netbook, make one with Android installed that will boot up in a second. They should be able to sell it for LESS than the regular Netbook. Since (A) it has a 16~32GB flash drive rather than a 40~120GB HDD and (B) not buying a $20 per license of Windows7.

For faster netbooks, use AMD-Fusion E-350, such as those used in SONY netbooks. ATOM has no place in the market anymore.

Lenovo sells a low-end netbook like 11.6" unit for $400, its less than an inch thick... its barely a notebook and still cheaper than any tablet.

Also, the future netbooks should have GPS built in.

Sorry, traveling in another city and pulling up GPS location info made the iPad more useful than any current netbook I can think of.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
if they make a super light normal laptop as cheap as a netbook, I wouldnt mind it dying. But since I doubt that will happen, Im thinking of buying a cheap netbook for college. my current 6 lb monster kills my back every day...

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I have a C-50 netbook. After getting 4 gigs RAM, Win 7 x64, SSD, etc. I now have a very capable notebook. It still costs me less than $600 and out performs my heafty, muscular, 5-year old notebook. That's much easier to carry than a full-size notebook with 3 times the battery life. Try playing Oblivion, using Photoshop, or doing software development on a tablet.
For tablets, I'll never get one - will rather have an Android 4"-5" phone with the power of a tablet and can always carry with me in my pocket. Tablets always where just big phones that can't make calls anyway.
my 2c

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Netbooks died the moment they went from 9" toys to >9" mini laptops, with a price tag much over a performance/price ratio of a laptop.

Netbooks where supposed to be $99 devices, not $300.
They had too many expensive extra's, while cutting too much on battery life, and plugging in a slower harddrive instead of a smaller ssd.

If manufacturers would produce netbooks with 2GB of ram, large battery, and a 20GB SSD, instead of a 200GB HD that's slow as hell, people might want to buy netbooks again!

It's the marketing that has gone astray, with shiny at the cost of performance!

G

I have a iPhone, Gaming Performance PC, 17inch Laptop, netbook, and a iPad. O have uses for all of them and they offer great ability to do different things.
http://surreystore.com/cms/

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]Netbooks will die, Tablets will stay. That is the way it is. Move on. Nothing to see here people.[/citation]
Not by the least!
I as well as many others regret the absence of a keyboard and hardware mouse.
What do you have when you buy a $500 tablet pc, with a $150 keyboard docking station?
You have a $300 netbook!

For that many are willing to leave tablets. They want keyboards and mice!
Not touchscreen
Touchscreen is fancy and all that, but way less handy than a keyboard!

And as usual it's the marketing guys who're at fault for creating nothing but bling, that does not perform!
And the battle of 'performance and good gear', and 'bling shiny unnecessarily crappy and slow plastic gear' continues...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I've shopped for tablets, I have never shopped for a netbook or have ever had the thought cross my mind to do so for myself at-least (I was very close to buying one for my then 3 year old son). I really don't see the point in them at all. The weak hardware greatly limits their possible functions and most basic functions can actually be done on the tablets. Then there is the price issue, any "decent" netbook costs just under a laptop with much superior hardware.

5teviewonders

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]did you read that in braille?[/citation]

A quick search found this.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1937874/acer-ditches-netbooks-tablets
They were cutting down production.

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Acer is completely on point with this sentiment. I own a netbook and a PC... and I have no interest in tablets or docking phones. The price point is well balanced, just about half of a PC. Speed is only one measure of performance, the strength of netbooks is their size and battery length. Netbook software packaging declined as the "netbook bubble" formed, but hopefully now that that market is stabilizing we can see the reintroduction of bundled software on netbooks. In any event, I look forward to more offerings in the netbook category; AMD's APU and netbooks is an area I intend to keep an eye on.

therandomuser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Honestly, I don't see why Intel isn't dropping the Atom line when Ivy Bridge is out. Ivy has a smaller footprint in the fab process and has the better Sandy architecture. Atom has always been crap. It's just a modified, miniaturized, Pentium 4, HyperThreading and all. Seriously, the thing runs slower than molasses, and it is quite literally half the size (90mm P4 to 45mm Atom).

I'm thinking that the Atom naming was an inside joke to all the Intel guys. The processor sometimes feels like it's running on just one silicon atom.

My Acer Aspire One went to my dad as soon as I was able to get a new laptop. Never gonna touch that thing again. I might step back in for the AMD Fusion netbooks, as tablets don't have the exact tick for me. In my eyes, Fusion will be the one that will keep netbooks and smaller-end notebooks alive.

Always been happy with Intel Innovation, but right now AMD Applicability is king in price to power in the lower end markets.

G

AMD C-50 and E-350 netbooks are quite nice to use imo,they have a fullblown desktop OS,good battery life and just enough performance for day to day use.The prices are not bad too.I just wish manufacturers would stop putting such crappy screens on them.It doesn't have to be IPS or VA,a good quality TN is enough...

The problem with current netbooks is that they don't have much in common with what they were supposed to be: cheap, sturdy PC companions with little RAM, little SDD space and a multifunction OS+apps installed - at least, the first Eee was just like that.

Then, Microsoft came and said: 'all netbooks must have Windows'. Exit the SDD, for pathetic hard disks; hitch up the price, for more RAM; remove features, for crippled Windows starter edition.

My Acer Aspire One, which came with Win7 Starter originally, got so pathetically slow as soon as I installed a real web browser, that it soon found itself reformatted with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. And guess what?

- it cold boots in 30 seconds from pressing the power button to the HD light stopping to shine (it stays solidly on during the whole boot) on the Gnome desktop; from that point, starting Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin and OpenOffice all together requires another 20 seconds. Not bad for 1 Gb of RAM.

- it retains more than 145 Gb of disk space once everything is installed.

Putting a 32 Gb SDD on such a system wouldn't have increased its price - but it sure would have improved its boot speed and resilience.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
UGH! fix the spelling please. Its imminent not immanent!

"punch gien"

Seriously, I don't want to be a grammar/spelling Nazi but would it kill to proofread a little.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Definitely tablets can’t replace the netbook since it’s cheaper and more productive, but netbooks can’t compete in the battery life. Hopefully the future can bring some new surprises.

Zenthar

Distinguished
IMO, tablets are closer to e-Readers than PCs. Yes they run applications and have more connectivity, but way you interact with it makes it very limited. Tablets aren't that great to do actual "work" like typing text or doing lots of research; anything requiring typing actually. I opted for a netbook instead of a low power laptop because of the price and battery life, something no other device offers.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
There's no concrete definition of what a netbook even is, it started out as cheap Linux-powered device, then quickly turned into a slightly pricier small notebook running Windows, does that still qualify as a netbook or is it just a small laptop now? What about something like the 11 inch Macbook Air, same form factor as a netbook just pricier - besides Moore's Law will change that anyway, maybe not regarding Apple products, but I'm confident in the next couple years we'll see 10-13 inch CULV devices with decent enough specifications to run Windows 7/8 competently at the $400 mark.

Rather than impetuous statements like "netbooks are dead/not dead", what's happening in reality is the small device market in general is filling a broader rang; from ARM and Linux powered tablets, tablets with keyboards (already seeing a few of these in the market) which are essentially identical to early netbooks, then both budget and premium thin and light notebooks for using with Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.