Acer Says Touchscreen Laptops Will Soon Be Everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Concerns and criticisms about Windows 8 are not unfair. Innovations that improve a platform are celebrated and praised. What Microsoft did was foist half-baked innovations onto the market that took the s off their Windows product. If they would have responded to concerns and addressed them during the multiple opportunities before release Windows 8 would have been better off. Instead, Microsoft doubled-down on the problematic features. Today's concerns about Windows 8 have been known for well over a year now. What's really unfair is how Microsoft ignored their customers. The worse-than-Vista uptake demonstrates this clearly.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Here are the problems with touchscreen PCs...
1. They get filthy. Touchscreen phones and tablets get filthy, why wouldn't a touchscreen PC get filthy.
2. They are too big. A phone or tablet is small enough where a simple hand motion can cover the screen. A touchscreen PC requires a hand and arm motion to use.
3. A mouse is superior. It uses short quick hand motions to control large surfaces.
4. Hands block content. By putting your hand over the screen you are blocking content on the screen.
*** Please feel free to add to this list in the comments below...

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I have an iPad and don't mind "touching" it.

But I HATE SMUDGES ON MY LAPTOP SCREEN.
Then there is the way extra motion needed to reach for the screen.

G

I can't wait to see how consumers feel after a full days work reaching out to their monitors!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pacioli[/nom]Here are the problems with touchscreen PCs... 1. They get filthy. Touchscreen phones and tablets get filthy, why wouldn't a touchscreen PC get filthy.2. They are too big. A phone or tablet is small enough where a simple hand motion can cover the screen. A touchscreen PC requires a hand and arm motion to use. 3. A mouse is superior. It uses short quick hand motions to control large surfaces.4. Hands block content. By putting your hand over the screen you are blocking content on the screen.*** Please feel free to add to this list in the comments below...[/citation]

only touch screen i want is one with a wacom input in it, and i may be getting one of those soon.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Just bought a Acer Aspire V5 with touchscreen. I haven't played around too much with it (was mainly purchased for my wife). When shopping, I was looking for 1 of 2 things... either a laptop with Windows 7 and an SSD or, if I couldn't find one decently priced, then one with Windows 8 and a touchscreen.

It should be noted that just because it has it, you don't have to use the touchscreen, but for moving around the modern UI on the laptop, I prefer it to using the touchpad on the thing. I've never used Windows 8 before, so there was definitely a learning curve to it. Still haven't quite figured it all out yet.

I finally understand what people meant when they said MS was transitioning to a walled garden approach. The modern UI side of the OS just seemed limited. For instance when my wife was trying to print some information off a web page, she couldn't choose a range of pages (ie. pages 3-6). It was all the pages or none of them. We had to switch over to the desktop version of IE in order to have that functionality. Seems redundant to have 2 separate versions of IE running in one OS.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
While i also don't like the idea of finger painting ot screen , we have to give credit to microsoft for pushing for some inovation instead of trailing behind apple.And the best fit for win8 is "convertible" laptop in all the diifferent forms available.
It is interesting who will win - apple with high res vs win with touch(you can have both but the price....) and add to that and a 3d display.

immanuel_aj

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Did anyone watch Minority Report? I think that could be one of the possible ways computers evolve in the future. I reckon it's pretty clear that people want to use their device through touch input from the way tablets and smartphones have taken off.
Sure, at the moment it's rather clunky on a desktop, but it's really only a first effort. Things will just continue to evolve from here and eventually, someday, I think not only would it be common for computers to have touchscreens, but it would have evolved to the point where it's EASIER to work when using the touchscreen.

welson

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
The last thing you should look for is an anti-theft device. Not all come with those device standard, but you can add one yourself.The devices can lock your computer so that no one can access it.

welson

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Choosing Laptops Under 300 is sometimes difficult, since there are so many companies who make them, and each company has different features that are very good.http://www.just4laptops.co.uk

welson

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Depending on if you are choosing a laptop or netbook, the screen size is between 13 and 21 inches, with the netbooks having the smaller screens. You should also check into the screen resolution. The higher the resolution, the better the picture.]cheap laptop deals[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.