Question Acer Swift 3 Ryzen 5 3500u or 4500u?

Jun 28, 2020
Hi guys,

Which Swift 3 Ryzen 5 version is best for me, 3500u 4c8t with expandable ram upto 20gb or 4500u 6c6t with a 8gb soldered ram?
I'm open to another brand around the same budget with those two.

I'm using 3D CAD Fusion360 (Not a hardcore, just light-medium stuff) / entry-level image processing + browsing with 27283trillion tabs + music at the same time for daily basis.

I'm open to any suggestions. But right now I'm only interested for Acer Swift 3 R5 3500u or 4500u.

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

1. What is your budget?
Around Swift 3 Ryzen 5 3500u and 4500u.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
6+hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
3D CAD, Image processing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
256-512gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-3, max 4years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
-

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
anything for ryzen 4500u because there is only 2brands that offer 4500u in here. 3500u only swift3.

13. What country do you live in?
Indonesia

If you're in the habit of having hundreds of tabs open then go for the configuration that allows more ram.

I can't speak for the 4500u but I own a lenovo laptop with the 3500u and it is absolutely solid performance wise.

Reactions: reehtjurd
Jun 28, 2020
If you're in the habit of having hundreds of tabs open then go for the configuration that allows more ram.

I can't speak for the 4500u but I own a lenovo laptop with the 3500u and it is absolutely solid performance wise.

There is a new release today, Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 R5 4500u 14", they said max ram capacity is 12gigs which 4gigs is soldered. Since R5 4500u max ram is 32gb, theoretically speaking, is it going to work if i put a 16gigs stick in it?

I would imagine you're going to be limited to a 8gb+4gb (12gb ram total)

Most ryzen laptops come with a 4gb+4gb soldered stick which is an annoyance.

I would suggest you look at ones with 8gb installed and an nvme drive as standard.

At that point the ram limitation becomes pretty much a non issue, nvme drives are fast enough at page filing ram to minimise any performance hit.