Acer: Tablets, ultrabooks a Short-Term Phenomena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Maybe. I can see ultrabooks fading away but I think the tablets are here to stay. Personally I do not own one yet, cause I really have no use for one and think they need to become something more than a overgrown smartphone. Yes, yes I know they can do more than a smartphone, but except for a few things here and there they are for the most part a big smartphone. I can see the PC and tablets being with us for a good long time.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Lol, Acer is pissed off because their tablet doesn't sell as good as even the Galaxy Tab?

Though, seriously, I hope he's right. Hate it when people say that tablets and ultrabooks are the future.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Maybe. I can see ultrabooks fading away but I think the tablets are here to stay. Personally I do not own one yet, cause I really have no use for one and think they need to become something more than a overgrown smartphone. Yes, yes I know they can do more than a smartphone, but except for a few things here and there they are for the most part a big smartphone. I can see the PC and tablets being with us for a good long time.[/citation]

I agree to a point. I think Ultrabooks "might" take the seat of netbooks, but tablets I believe are here to stay. Tablets might be just amp'd up smartphones, but if the business and consumer markets start to develop a cloud/onlive type approach to using them for even big tasks(where all the processing and etc, are done in the cloud) and the end results are then pumped to the device(which, as far as I can tell would be mostly limited on latency, signal strength, and bandwidth.) Provided those were all at acceptable levels.. Alot of people would no longer need much of anything else.

Played right, and with the right technological steps in invention and innovation.. This could be awesome, and Acer dead wrong.

However.. the current Lawyer/Patent problem will probably cripple any progress down to a trickle.. I'd be surprised to see any amount of "significant" change for the better for years to come... :/

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Tablets are not a fad, reason Acer cut 60% of its shipment estimates is because everyone and their mother is putting out an Android Tablet.

One OS for both phone and tablets (Ice Cream Sandwich) will help app development. I expect Tablets to slowly but steadily make it into homes. Once you've used one for a while, you realize how versatile these little suckers are, and this is only the first generation. Since most seem to be settling into the sub $500 price point now, more people will start looking at them.

G

Remember when laptops +2" thick? I don't see why "ultrabooks" won't be permanent, although I'd just continue to call them notebooks.

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I think we really need a unified device. I liked the idea of Lenovo with the pop-out screen (only 10.1", a little small for a real laptop), and the idea from Asus Transformer.
Why not make a laptop that has an i7 processor with all the bells and whistles in the keboard part, even if it is a little bulkier, and attach a 12.1 inch android tablet to it. The screen would be also protected, no need for jackets.
This way you have all your data with you, can do real work too. Also have the convenience of using only the tablet part when reading, surfing or emailing.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Actually, I think something like the Wii U might be the future of home PC desktops, it's sort of a mini cloud device that you have at home. Have a very powerful graphics, large HDD space, and CPU "core" that just streams things to the tablet. The tablet in this case would just be the interface and all the calculations and storage would be done on the "core."

and it then make it so you can run multiple tablets at your home, instead of 1 PC per person. I have two monitors set up for my PC and I wished i can add another mouse and keyboard so me and nephew could use the same PC at the same time. Why don't they make something like this possible?

Damn, I should patent this idea!

cold fire

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]"and it then make it so you can run multiple tablets at your home, instead of 1 PC per person. I have two monitors set up for my PC and I wished i can add another mouse and keyboard so me and nephew could use the same PC at the same time. Why don't they make something like this possible?Damn, I should patent this idea![/citation]

There's a tool that let you do that though I don't remember the name (Anyone?) Or if your PC is powerful enough just use a VM with its own K/M and monitor for the other person.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
With windows 8, tablets will become mainstream. They won't be replacing PC's for anyone that does work on a PC, but they will replace the PC for most home users. The only thing holding most tablets back is software compatibility. I own an Acer windows 7 tablet and its awesome, I use for everything except gaming. I don't know why Acer thinks the tablet is dead...

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Lol, Acer is pissed off because their tablet doesn't sell as good as even the Galaxy Tab?Though, seriously, I hope he's right. Hate it when people say that tablets and ultrabooks are the future.[/citation]

Yeah... the future of today, but desktops are, and will always be the future of tomorrow!

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]fignuts[/nom]do people really care what acer has to say? really?[/citation]

Do people really care what YOU have to say?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I think that tablets are here to stay, same with touchscreen smartphones. Why? Because Star Trek TNG, DS9 and VOY had pads.

A lame reason. They also had spacecrafts... should we start building spacecrafts instead of dealing with this planet's problems first, then?

Tablets might stay because they're entertaining toys, but that's about it. All this talk about them becoming powerful devices that'll control everything is utter garbage. Make a super-fast CPU for them using some new smaller process - PC will take the advantage of the same new process and also gain new CPUs, dozens of times more powerful. Can you upgrade your tablet when it gets old? No? Thought so.

Though, who needs upgrading if the only thing most people do is Angry Birds.

G

you're underestimating how much better a tablet is than a smartphone when laying in bed masturbating.

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Think 'Revolutionary' and don't think too hard about Apple.
The PC world has the absolute best options available for creating, yes creating the best products on the market.
If you want your products to sell, get Innovative, Aggressive, and have a Desire to be the best.
PC components are vast and powerful.
I know the PC world and Acer, ASUS, and all of the PC component and PC makers can take back their ground. They just need their own brew of Cool-Aid to woo the consumer and make their tummies want it!
It's gonna happen too, this battle is way far from over.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
The companies who say a certain product sector is "overrated" or "short-term" or a "fad" usually are the ones that have no products in that sector. For example the Chrysler/Fiat CEO recently said the same about electric cars. Funny how Chrysler/Fiat doesn't have any electroc cars :).

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Anyone using the phrase "outside of the box" is living in the past, stuck in a cubicle trying to make their managers proud with this lame phrase, not a company innovating.

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]jgutz2006[/nom]Anyone using the phrase "outside of the box" is living in the past, stuck in a cubicle trying to make their managers proud with this lame phrase, not a company innovating.[/citation]

LOL XD

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]Smart phones are also just a fad, and I expect we'll be going back to clunky 10 pound cell phones in a couple of years.[/citation]

...And in what country do you exactly live in? LMAO... ahahaahah

The point of technology is to get BETTER, not WORSE, like you mentioned, D@PSH@T!

Status
Not open for further replies.