News Acer Takes on Alienware With Its Own 55-Inch 4K OLED Gaming Monitor

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
To expensive and too late. With 2019 LG OLED TV’s supporting 1440p 120Hz and even 4K 120Hz including G-Sync for less than this why would you pick one of these.

Yeap why would you buy this? Alienware's OLED was perhaps the worst product they've ever released: An OLED monitor without HDR. Now Acer is doing HDR 400 when LG's own TV is half the price and has g-sync support and HDR 700 or so... why???

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Don't understand why anyone would buy an OLED screen for use as a computer monitor. The technology suffers from screen burn in which would be exceeding difficult to avoid when using as an everyday monitor.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b9-oled

All the OLED TV's on rtings.com get a 1 out of 10 for permanent burn-in risk. It's a problem inherent in the technology. Basically modern day plasma.

scott91575

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Don't understand why anyone would buy an OLED screen for use as a computer monitor. The technology suffers from screen burn in which would be exceeding difficult to avoid when using as an everyday monitor.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b9-oled

All the OLED TV's on rtings.com get a 1 out of 10 for permanent burn-in risk. It's a problem inherent in the technology. Basically modern day plasma.

Anyone over 30 has dealt with burn in with CRT screens which are just like plasma and OLED. We used screens that could possibly have a burnt in image for decades. Screen savers exist for a reason. It's not a big issue as long as you are aware of it. BTW...I have an OLED in my living room with a HTPC. I often use it just as a PC and some light gaming. Burn in is not an issue.

On the other hand OLED has a bunch of plusses vs. LCD's. So as long as you are aware not to leave a static image on the screen for a very long time you can gain all kinds of benefits. That is why you choose OLED.