Acer to Replace Netbooks with Sandy Bridge Tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]i will take a full, physical keyboard over a pure touchscreen any day.[/citation]
Same here. But these devices are targeted for surfing, light office work, and multimedia. If the interface is right, you won't be using a keyboard much. And if the price is right, it'll be a great device. I don't think they'll release these until Sandy Bridge is mature enough (lower power consumption, lower heat).

kuroneko007

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
No word on pricing just yet, but if Lenovo plans for these tablets to replace netbooks, they’ll need to be a little more full-featured compared to the likes of the Galaxy Tab or iPad.

So is this about Lenovo or Acer??

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]kuroneko007[/nom]So is this about Lenovo or Acer??[/citation]
[citation][nom]shovenose[/nom]Wait a minute...i didnt know Lenovo and Acer were the same company???[/citation]

Oops, thanks! Melty brain. All fixed now.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Yes if acer wants their tabs to be juicy to the consumer it must have lots of goodies and a good price not just having a sandy bridge cpu.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Tablets are a lot better than laptops imo. Better mouse control, they just need to be more featured like Acer said. Keyboard may be more harder on touch, but there is always and option to make a slide out one, or just get used to it. I'd probably get one sometime, but why are there no tablets for pen touch, for drawing?

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
My next portable machine will likely be an Asus Eee PC T101MT, or its direct sucessor. It has the best of both worlds with a multi-touch surface and a real keyboard. All it really needs for me is an HDMI port and support for 4GB of DDR3.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
maybe they're preparing for windows 8.
makes sense now that there's a lot tablets based on ARM already.

[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]I still think this would be a little bit stupid as oppose to choosing AMD's Fusion chips since tablets won't need that much CPU power,and the Bobcats are more like Atoms, while the SB is like a Nahalem[/citation]

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
first thought "ooo SB in a tablet thats some nice power in a tablet"

second thought "hmmm wonder how long the battery will last, 32nm is nice but i don't see it being as efficient as other options"

third thought "how are they gonna properly cool it... must be undervolted/clocked... but then is it really gonna be any better than anything else out there"

guess onyl time will tell to answer my questions >_<

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]I still think this would be a little bit stupid as oppose to choosing AMD's Fusion chips since tablets won't need that much CPU power,and the Bobcats are more like Atoms, while the SB is like a Nahalem[/citation]
Have you ever tried using a Atom netbook? I usually a 3.7GHz i7 920, and the few times I've had to use one, I've wanted to tear my eyes out.
Here's one guy who's all for the Sandy Bridge. We had some great, ultra low voltage Core 2 chips, but the ULV i3's still had a significantly higher TDP. I don't care if the newer Atoms have a 1-2.5W TDP, I'm not running Windows 98 on them.

G

I liked this plan the first 5 or 6 times I saw it the past few years - "OMG, we've got a whole PC in a tablet! Hey, why isn't anybody buying these?"

I don't see why they aren't opting for amd ontario or zacate. I don't want a thousand dollar tablet. I do want one with a windows or linux os, however, aka x86.

As for the keyboard, give me a kickstand and some bluetooth. I'll figure it out.

G

The battery will hardly run for 30 mins.
SB is not as battery draining as the previous generation.
In fact, I think the battery life comparison for laptops was something along the lines of 2x higher for SB ones.

Of course, since we are talking about tablets, my theory is that the SB cpu's used here will have to be clocked down a bit in order to have the same, if not better battery life.

Ivy Bridge would likely be a better solution due to it's smaller form factor though.

And I can definitely see netbooks going under because of this.
Besides, you can easily get an usb keyboard for pads now, so that solves that issue.

To be honest, I would find it very nice to own a tablet like this one, because I wouldn't have to haul my laptop along for the ride.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.