Acer Ultrabook Spotted Early For $1,130 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]Some competition in the aesthetic appeal category, finally.[/citation]
You knew it had to be Acer.

drumsrule786

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Those asus ones sound pretty promising. Although I would still never buy one of these, sticking on an extra 25-50% to the price just for a thin notebook isn't worth it.

G

Any 16:10 screens? That's what keeps me buying MacBook Pro's...

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]drumsrule786[/nom]Those asus ones sound pretty promising. Although I would still never buy one of these, sticking on an extra 25-50% to the price just for a thin notebook isn't worth it.[/citation]
Yeah, I agree. Until mobile computing progresses through heat dissapation and battery power problems, I'll stick with the regular 500-750 dollar laptops. But, it is really good to see them packing that much hardware in such a small form factor. Very close till we see the next giant step in mobile computing since the laptop.

G

I'm very interested in these, a tablet is ok but I think an Ultrabook would be better.

G

>> Intel HD 3000 graphics

> Instantly put me off.

Opposite for me. Guaranteed Linux support

G

That price is most likely including the 20% sales tax, this should put it under the $999 limit. Either way computer products are usually a bit more expensive in Europe than in the US so you can't just use the currency to calculate a equivalent US price.

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Why is everyone trying to compete with Apple? And in this case they can't even beat the price, so it's going to be another disaster. Try being innovative and come up with low cost products everyone can afford. You're not Apple and never will be, so stop trying.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"And in this case they can't even beat the price"

1) It is a price from Italy, many CE devices cost less in the US then they do there. This Italian website has iPads starting at 469 Euros, which would be around $670, more than 35% higher than the US pricing. Assuming that 35% is pretty close to the normal difference [I have no idea], then this $1130 notebook in Italy, might be more like $850 in the US.

2) All of that aside, did you even look at the specs? The 13.3" MacBook Air starts at $1299, not $999. The Acer has almost triple the storage, though the Mac has it all in SSD. Both have the same graphics and 4GB RAM.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I'm just hoping that one of these "ultrabooks" won't use apple's ugly white/grey and all rounded styling. I'd prefer a nice evenly square black aluminum notebook any day, both for more internal space at no more thickness, and just for aesthetic appeal.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
People must stop comparing the price in an European country with the US price. Just to to put things in perspective in Italy the Macbook Air 11" starts at 949€ ($1355.45 USD) and the Macbook Air 13.3" starts at 1249€ ($1783.95 USD).

So it has the same CPU that comes with the Macbook Air 11" has twice the memory and a bigger screen and still manages to be 17% cheaper. I'm not even going to mention the Macbook Air 13" because it's 37% more expensive.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Instantly put me off.[/citation]What are you planning on doing that HD 3000 graphics can't handle? If you're a gamer, you wouldn't be buying an Ultrabook anyways.

Besides, HD 3000 can play a large portion of games out nowadays, just on only low settings. And older games and Source Engine games play well.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]phexac[/nom]That price does not include SSD that is in every Macbook air and is kinda a big deal.[/citation]
It comes with a hybrid drive. It has 320GB of HDD and 20GB of SSD.

G

I saw this at the Microsoft store today - the hard drives are NOT replaceable. 1 failure = brick. That's a dealbreaker for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.