Acer Unveils 6-inch Smartphone with 4K Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
More like 1080p, then scaled to 4k.

No way we have cameras upward of 4 grand that are now starting to put out 4k video, and here we have a phone with 4k video? Nah.

G

Honestly, why??? Who uses their camera phone to record video that needs 4K? Plus, you aren't going to be able to see the real 4K video on anything since the devices that support 4K are thousands and thousands of dollars. Definitely a gimmick and a jerk one at that. RECORDS 4K......BUT U CAN'T SEE 4K ON ANYTHING.

The go pro hero 3 shoots 4K video at a slow 15fps, so i don't see a problem with a smartphone being able to do 4K at around 24fps.. 4K is 8MP, it's nothing magic or spectacular. As long as you have a fast enough memory card, and your circuitry can handle the bandwidth of constantly taking and dumping 8MP pictures, it's very possible using a dedicated gate array or something to constantly do the same task over and over again.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002

GoPro 3 has a customized processor designed for processing and encoding video data, good luck reaching 5 fps on a smartphone with even decent encoding. That's nearly 200 MB/s of raw video data to process from what I read it sound's like the GoPro encodes video down to around 60+ MB/s @15fps. So expect a much higher data rate written to flash, or some truly crappy video.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
No global launch meaning the US won't see it for a while if at all. Only 2gb of ram and 16gb of storage is behind the times now. Your going to need a 64Gb SD card at least for the 4K video if not 128gb.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006

So does nearly every mobile phone; it's a module built into the SoC along with all the other stuff. The image sensor's data is crunched by this module rather than the phone's generic processors. So 4K will not be difficult from a processing perspective. Regarding the storage... yeah, you'll probably need UHS-1 compatible SD cards or be stuck with recording to internal memory. Or, they will simply knock the quality down a few notches to make it work.

Sure it can be 4K, but I doubt it'll be good 4K. Interesting idea, even if it is impractical and unnecessary.

When you design a processor for a dedicated task, it can be very efficient and much more powerful for said task because you can move bits and information in parallel for every clock cycle. It doesn't have to waste time making decisions or processing code, and the math is much quicker as well. It just continues to move data like an assembly line within the processor until the final result comes out, which is probably a compressed format of 4k, which then has a lower bandwidth to feed into memory. As CRARC said, it can be designed as a module into a SOC processor, or be a dedicated chip, and as long as you solve the storage memory bandwidth bottleneck, it should be able to do it.

Depends on the resolution, that's what people were saying when DVD's were the standard and HD TV's were first coming out. I remember because i was selling TV at circuit city during college when this was happening. Most people scoffed off HD because DVD's already looked really good.

But now fast forward 8 years, dvd's look terrible on my 55" and HD is the standard.

I'll wait to pass judgement after i see some video. But for now, you're wrong, it is very useful because i have a newborn infant. I take all kinds of 30 second HD video clips which get dumped into my NAS server, which i'll eventually burn onto Blu-Ray or some other future data medium. Then i'll watch it all over again in 18 years. So if it looks better than HD even with high compression, i'd rather take 4K video clips from my phone than 1080.

Status
Not open for further replies.